Eagle Creek Trail [CLOSED] is a 25.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Cascade Locks, Oregon that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 25.3 miles Elevation Gain: 6,256 feet Route Type: Out & Back

closed

Please note that as of March 2019, the Eagle Creek and surrounding area remains close due to increased mudslide risk. For updates: https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/crgnsa/recarea/?recid=29912 An amazing gorge hike with several beautiful waterfalls, including one you can walk behind. This trail begins at Eagle Creek Campground and ends at Wahtum Lake. This is a nice out and back hike with great scenery of waterfalls, ferns, and rocky outcroppings. It's quite popular with easy vehicle access at the trailhead, so plan to see a lot of other hikers and is part of the Pacific Crest Trail. This hike is not far from Portland and is best in the spring or early summer to really appreciate the beautiful waterfalls.

Hiked to Tunnel Falls. Trail was mostly flat and very green. Absolutely gorgeous.

Awesome! Super wet trail, did it in March 2016. Bummer it’s closed now. Pretty flat mostly. Varied terrain from muddy to rocky until you get to Tunnel Falls. Lots of cool spots to rest and hang around on the way! Would only recommend taking experienced kids behind the waterfall. It’s pretty slippery and narrow. Bring your rain shells and waterproof boots/shoes! Definitely worth it. Also recommend getting Slo Burger in Portland after the hike :)

Thu Mar 21 2019

My dad and I did this hike on a father daughter trip in April 2017. It was beautiful (a little wet) but so cool to walk through the "tunnel" under the waterfall. was surreal!

Sun Nov 11 2018

This was my first hike when I moved to Oregon in 2016. I hiked one week before the fire. I will always cherish this trail as my favorite.

Sat Jul 28 2018

rRNAe

Mon Jul 23 2018

Hiked in 2016 before the fires. My favorite hike to date. Memories I'll cherish for a lifetime.

Sun Jul 22 2018

Hike to Tunnel Falls with my boyfriend in 2015 will always be a special memory to me. Beautiful hike.

Sat Jul 21 2018

Sun Jun 17 2018

The hike to tunnel falls was one of my favorites when I lived in Portland. Granted, it was always extremely crowded, but stunningly beautiful. It’s a shame that it was destroyed by careless people playing with fire.

Fri Jun 01 2018

Tackled this two memorial weekends ago and it was best first backpacking I have ever done. Scenery was absolutely breathtaking. It’s unfortunate about the fires because I looked forward to doing it again this year. At least I took some great photos.

Wed Jan 10 2018

Hiked this trail on July 2017. Unfortunately we could not get to the tunnel falls trail due to the fires. Anyways it didnt matter since the trail is so beautiful and there is so much to see. We stopped and had lunch on a little cave by the punch bowel falls and it was magic. The path does get narrow, sometimes wet. Be mindful that you will walk alongside of a cliff but it is doable. A tree branch will definitely help.

Wed Nov 22 2017

I hiked this trail in August of 2016 and it takes the cake for all the other trails I’ve hiked. It’s 18 miles round trip and will 100 percent test your endurance. But if you can tough it out, it will be well worth the views. Sadly I believe part of if not the whole trail is closed due to a fire started by some kids in September. The trail was a breath taker. Literally and figuratively.

Sun Oct 29 2017

There is not enough words to describe how amazing this hike is!! The scenery, waterfalls, creeks and views are absolutely breathtaking! We hiked about 8 miles the first day and found an beautiful little place to camp, settled in and then hiked a few more miles up and back before settling in for the night. Camp spot was awesome!! Right next the running creek! Headed out the next morning..lots of weekend traffic unfortunately....Stopped at Punch Bowl to relax and take it all in!! Hiked about 18 miles round trip!!! Loved every bit of it!!

Sun Oct 22 2017

Gorgeous views of the falls with a moderate and manageable hike . Will be back for sure when reopens .

Wed Sep 27 2017

Technically not completed in full as described in route but went to Twister Falls and back (12.5m. RT) in July 2016.

Thu Sep 14 2017

Great hike and breathtaking view of the Punchbow waterfall!!!!!

Wed Sep 06 2017

This trail is currently on fire. No access!

Sun Aug 20 2017

So so beautiful.

Sun Aug 13 2017

Beautiful hike! Can't wait till they open it to Tunnel Falls again!

Wed Aug 09 2017

it was amazing, beautiful nature I was exhausted after the hike. be sure to wear good walking shoes

Fri Aug 04 2017

Most beautiful hike ~ amazing waterfalls

Wed Aug 02 2017

Pretty busy hike. Punchbowl falls area is a great place to escape the heat, shady spots and the water feels nice and cool. Not much water access on the trail but our pup did fine. Metlako is closed due to a washout and it's 100% inaccessible. Eagle creek trail is closed after 5 miles due to a fire. So we went to the Punchbowl and back, great hike.

Tue Aug 01 2017

Will always give it a five star review because this is where my boyfriend took me on our first date. Absolutely beautiful with lovely memories for me here.

Sun Jul 30 2017

very happy I went.It is very beautiful.

Wed Jul 19 2017

Nice hike to begin the year of my hiking adventures. Recommend getting to the trailhead early, it is a very popular trail. Lower Punch Bowl Falls spurs off the trail, but it's worth taking a look. Wasn't able to go any further than just past Wy' East campground due to the fires being contained near Indian Creek, so was unable to get to the tunnel falls portion of the trail.

Tue Jul 18 2017

Hiked on 7/16/17. Pretty flat hike with incredible scenery. Good for trail running (minus a few rocky sections.) May be tough if you're afraid of heights or get vertigo. Many dizzying bridges to cross and the whole trail is on the edge of the hill so you have a steep fall on one side! I've struggled on similar trails with cables before but found that my fear wasn't so bad with the trees partially obscuring the view to the bottom. Go early and avoid the weekend. The first part of the trail to Punch Bowl gets crowded with slower families and groups. Note: the trail was still closed on 7/16 before Tunnel Falls so that will significantly shorted your backpacking trip. Many, many beautiful views and an unbeatable trail with many campsites before Tunnel Falls. However, Tunnel Fall is spectacular and worth the wait!

Mon Jul 17 2017

Stunning hike! I rated 4 and not a 5 for two reasons: 1- Punchbowl was absolutely swarming with people. Great, but if you're looking for the peace of nature it's not quite there. And 2- I am terrified of heights and this trail has some CRAZY cliff side spots. Just be ready to test your limits if heights is one of them! I am truly surprised there are so few who comment on this aspect. Overall it has got to be one of the best Oregon has to offer!

Mon Jul 17 2017

went up to punchbowl falls, lovely scenery!

Sun Jul 16 2017

If you are heading to Tunnel Falls, make sure you continue it to Twister falls and the vertigo mile about 1/3 mile past Tunnel Falls! Spectacular.

Tue Jul 11 2017

Took the kids out for a day hike and heard this was one of the great hikes in Northern Oregon. We hiked most the trail, as it was closed off just before Tunnel Falls, due to a wildfire. It's a good intermediate hike