Eagle Creek Trail [CLOSED]

Eagle Creek Trail [CLOSED] is a 25.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Cascade Locks, Oregon that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

closed

An amazing gorge hike with several beautiful waterfalls, including one you can walk behind. This trail begins at Eagle Creek Campground and ends at Wahtum Lake. This is a nice out and back hike with great scenery of waterfalls, ferns, and rocky outcroppings. It's quite popular with easy vehicle access at the trailhead, so plan to see a lot of other hikers and is part of the Pacific Crest Trail. This hike is not far from Portland and is best in the spring or early summer to really appreciate the beautiful waterfalls.

I hiked this trail in August of 2016 and it takes the cake for all the other trails I’ve hiked. It’s 18 miles round trip and will 100 percent test your endurance. But if you can tough it out, it will be well worth the views. Sadly I believe part of if not the whole trail is closed due to a fire started by some kids in September. The trail was a breath taker. Literally and figuratively.

There is not enough words to describe how amazing this hike is!! The scenery, waterfalls, creeks and views are absolutely breathtaking! We hiked about 8 miles the first day and found an beautiful little place to camp, settled in and then hiked a few more miles up and back before settling in for the night. Camp spot was awesome!! Right next the running creek! Headed out the next morning..lots of weekend traffic unfortunately....Stopped at Punch Bowl to relax and take it all in!!
Hiked about 18 miles round trip!!!
Loved every bit of it!!

Gorgeous views of the falls with a moderate and manageable hike . Will be back for sure when reopens .

Technically not completed in full as described in route but went to Twister Falls and back (12.5m. RT) in July 2016. This trail is currently closed due to forest fires. Approximately reopening in spring 2018.

Great hike and breathtaking view of the Punchbow waterfall!!!!!

This trail is currently on fire. No access!

So so beautiful.

Beautiful hike! Can't wait till they open it to Tunnel Falls again!

it was amazing, beautiful nature I was exhausted after the hike. be sure to wear good walking shoes

Most beautiful hike ~ amazing waterfalls

Pretty busy hike. Punchbowl falls area is a great place to escape the heat, shady spots and the water feels nice and cool. Not much water access on the trail but our pup did fine. Metlako is closed due to a washout and it's 100% inaccessible. Eagle creek trail is closed after 5 miles due to a fire. So we went to the Punchbowl and back, great hike.

Will always give it a five star review because this is where my boyfriend took me on our first date. Absolutely beautiful with lovely memories for me here.

very happy I went.It is very beautiful.

Nice hike to begin the year of my hiking adventures. Recommend getting to the trailhead early, it is a very popular trail. Lower Punch Bowl Falls spurs off the trail, but it's worth taking a look. Wasn't able to go any further than just past Wy' East campground due to the fires being contained near Indian Creek, so was unable to get to the tunnel falls portion of the trail.

Hiked on 7/16/17. Pretty flat hike with incredible scenery. Good for trail running (minus a few rocky sections.) May be tough if you're afraid of heights or get vertigo. Many dizzying bridges to cross and the whole trail is on the edge of the hill so you have a steep fall on one side! I've struggled on similar trails with cables before but found that my fear wasn't so bad with the trees partially obscuring the view to the bottom.

Go early and avoid the weekend. The first part of the trail to Punch Bowl gets crowded with slower families and groups.

Note: the trail was still closed on 7/16 before Tunnel Falls so that will significantly shorted your backpacking trip. Many, many beautiful views and an unbeatable trail with many campsites before Tunnel Falls. However, Tunnel Fall is spectacular and worth the wait!

Stunning hike! I rated 4 and not a 5 for two reasons: 1- Punchbowl was absolutely swarming with people. Great, but if you're looking for the peace of nature it's not quite there. And 2- I am terrified of heights and this trail has some CRAZY cliff side spots. Just be ready to test your limits if heights is one of them! I am truly surprised there are so few who comment on this aspect. Overall it has got to be one of the best Oregon has to offer!

went up to punchbowl falls, lovely scenery!

If you are heading to Tunnel Falls, make sure you continue it to Twister falls and the vertigo mile about 1/3 mile past Tunnel Falls! Spectacular.

Took the kids out for a day hike and heard this was one of the great hikes in Northern Oregon. We hiked most the trail, as it was closed off just before Tunnel Falls, due to a wildfire. It's a good intermediate hike

Hiked on 7/3/17: We arrived at the parking lot at 9:15am and started the hike at 9:30am and luckily there was a car leaving the parking lot right by the trailhead, so we got that parking spot, so we did not have to add onto the hike. There were a lot of cars already there are that parking lot, along the road to the parking lot, and at the parking lot by the salmon hatchery at that time. It was a great trail with awesome views. We didn't cross paths with too many people at the beginning, but when we got to Punchbowl falls, there were big groups there. Thankfully all those people do not continue further up the trail. Tunnel falls is definitely amazing to see. On the way back, we climbed down to get photos at the base of the falls. We turned around a Vertigo falls, but had lunch there before we did. It's a real short walk from Tunnel Falls, so just do it. On the way back, there were lots of people. We ended up running about 1/3 of it as we were eager to pass everyone and get back to the trailhead. We finished at 3:10pm