Dunning Ranch Trail

Dunning Ranch Trail is a 7.4 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Roseburg, Oregon that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Deer habitat used by hikers, hunters, bikers, and horse riders. Views of Umpqua River and Valley. The trail is one of many that criss cross through the North Bank Ranch Habitat. The trail offers terrific views of the surrounding hills as well as the Umpqua River. The North Bank Ranch habitat is a place meant to be shared between hikers, bikers, horse back riders and hunters, so be courteous and aware of each other.

I did not get to hike to far on this trail, my grand daughter was with me and after the first bend she did not want to go. It was a beautiful day. I would not call this easy. The trail is steep, but it is free of brush. I to got a tick on me also.

More of a moderate hike with the first 2 miles 95% uphill.
Not bad, not great.

Beautiful, scenic, and great for dogs. Steep, too. I wouldn't rate this as easy. Will do again.

This is close to town but far enough to feel like you get away. I have gone many times and have found ticks often. Other than the ticks, it's a wonderful hike.

Sunday, June 12, 2016

This was a nice hike, not quite what I was expecting. Peaceful area, nice views. Hiked it June 11, 2016. recommend long pants as ticks were abundant. Only wildlife we spotted were a couple lizards and birds. :(

Sunday, June 12, 2016

Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Sunday, March 20, 2016

It was more difficult than we expected but we completed the entire loop, measured 7.8 miles for us. We started on the right trailhead (facing away from the road). There was a lot of elevation change but gorgeous open views which is hard to find in Douglas County. We hiked in February and there were some wet spots along the trail and a lot of standing water on the trail at the end, our feet got wet the last mile. Walking sticks helped on the inclines. We took our dog and he loved it. Saw a few deer. We will definitely be doing this hike again.

Saturday, February 27, 2016

Wednesday, July 15, 2015

I've hiked here a few times and really enjoy the views and the good workout with all the hills. I even saw a black bear when hiking here in October!

Saturday, February 21, 2015

I just moved to the douglas county ty area and asked a few horse people where to ride and they recommended Dunning Ranch. I parked at west entrance because I saw horse trailers there. I don't know if there are other entrances. They i.proved gravel and dirt road is nice and the views are spectacular! However I recommend that your horse be conditioned before attempting this trail. My guy has been on winter lay over and it is nothing but up hill in steep climb for miles. Notoozing forward to being jammed in the pommel all the way back to the trailer. But letting him rest frequently we went quite far up and the views are just stunning. I feel like I'm the only person in the world.

Monday, January 19, 2015

Monday, January 12, 2015

Sunday, February 09, 2014

This trail is actually part of the North Bank Habitat Management Area and starts at its West Entrance. I, too, saw no bicycles on my hike but did run into one person on horseback who was finishing a ride just as I started mine. No others on the trail but it has been raining quite hard and I was looking for a nearby trail in order to intentionally hike in bad weather. Murphy's Law, it didn't rain at all during my trek. The trails are improved gravel roads and improved dirt roads. Note that on wet days the dirt turns to slippery mud and as the downhill part of my hike was quite steep, the mud was actually quite treacherous. I had to walk off to the side of the mud trail and hold onto small tree branches to keep from slipping. The views as you climb elevation are spectacular and this time of year you can see the patchy fog roll throughout the valleys. This is an old cattle ranch and there are some small buildings and remnants of those days scattered throughout the trails. My loop today took me down the Chasm Creek trail but there is not much to see. The creek is only visible in the lower portion of the trail and once you start climbing up this part, there are only trees to see. The entire management area is a great place to take kids (in better weather) and there are many other trails and loops to take besides this one.

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

This trail is primarily used by horseback riders. (So far I've never seen a bike on it). There are actually loops that can be made. The terrain allows you to climb or descend at varying stages of steepness. When wet it can be slippery.
There are some pretty views of the river from the higher points.
Just wondering why the activity selection doesn't allow horseback riding to be included. Had to put something in or the program wouldn't allow me to submit.