Dome Rock Peak Trail

Dome Rock Peak Trail is a 8.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Gates, Oregon that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

I have done this hike probably close to 10 times. I use it as a conditioning hike to prepare for S Sisters or St Helens because of the length and elevation gain. I checked the distance today with Map my Hike app and the distance from the top of Dome Rock to parking lot on Hwy 22 was just over 5 miles making round trip just over 10. Great hike for getting in shape.

Large snow patches at 3.5 miles in.

Snow about 2 miles in or so. Past the meadow it got very deep and I was postholing my entire leg. Snow soft due to heat. I'd recommend getting there early for snow crossings. Snow shoes seemed useful. Microspikes helped until snow got deep. Might attempt again soon and just start in very early AM. Beautiful. Even if you don't make it, a great hike with beautiful views of Detroit Lake. I hiked 4/22/18.

good workout to a great 360° view from the top

Sunday, June 25, 2017

Great hike with great viewpoint!!!

Friday, March 10, 2017

I snowshoed this last winter. It was so fun! I'll admit, the only way I was able to get up there was by following someone else's tracks. Otherwise, I would've been at a loss. I suggest knowing exactly where you're going because the snow covers everything resembling a trail the further up you get. Some very impressive views all the way up. I didn't quite make it to Dome Rock tho. I was running out of light so I stopped at the outcropping you pass once you reach about 4000 ft. Can't wait to do it again!

Wednesday, February 08, 2017

It was very steep on the way up, but once you make it to the top the view is so worth all of it!

Saturday, July 15, 2017