Devil's Churn, Trail of the Restless Way, Captain Cook Loop

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(87)
Cape Perpetua Scenic Area

Devil's Churn, Trail of the Restless Way, Captain Cook Loop is a 1.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Yachats, Oregon that offers the chance to see wildlife and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.6 miles Elevation Gain: 242 feet Route Type: Loop

beach

Cape Perpetua is about a 30 minute drive south of Newport on HWY 101.

Short but a good hike; attach cape cook, cape cod and all the surrounding coastal viewpoints. Amazing

Great trail. Started at devils churn and went all the way to Thor’s well. Nice and paved so our two year old could walk it.

Always a favorite. I only walk down to the lookout point at high tide, and if I have my three kids with me. (Ages 9,6,3) If it’s 30-45 min before low tide, I’ll take my kids down to see Devils churn a bit closer....however We visit the Oregon coast dozen of times throughout the year. So I feel they understand moms concerns & they heed my verbal warnings. So we make the walk around the gorgeous rock below. And connect back up at the wooden stairs. Up the stairs you have a two choices to make the trail up to the parking lot. Either way is fine. Go left, West, it will wind you up to the parking lot........Take the eastern way (right) and forks, right takes you towards the beach, left goes up to the parking lot. Please use extreme caution and have a common-sense when visiting the Oregon coast. It’s beautiful. It’s been awhile since we lost a father & son too a sneaker wave that ripped them off the rocks into the water. Enjoy your trip, just plan accordingly, stay safe

Great, easy, beautiful trail. The coastline here is magnificent. Loved seeing Devils Churn, Thor’s Well, Cooks Chasm, and the Spouting Horn all in one short hike. I’ve recently moved to the area and this will be my go to trail for visitors.

Short trail all the way to the bottom. Black rocks and the waves are just stunning Must visit

Dog friendly. We took our dog down to the beach and it was just us so she was able to run in and out of the water!

Paved for most of the trail. Go at high tide and see Spouting Horn for sure!!

Allows access to a nice, small beach and great views. Be careful near the churn. I went on a misty morning and the rocks were dangerously slippery.

beautiful scenery

One of my favorite hikes! You’re able to climb out on the rocks and get up and close to the churn...makes for some great videos! The rocks are (of course) a bit slippery so be careful once you’re out there as there’s nothing to grab onto if you fall. The hike down to the churn is mostly downhill from what I remember with a paved trail and guardrails. Gorgeous views...definitely a must see! It wasn’t too crowded when I went out there, maybe 3-4 people.

The crashing waves were just amazing. Could have watched them for hours.

Beautiful views. Wouldn’t call it hiking, this is more like a nice walk.

Sun May 05 2019

Amazing!

Fri Apr 26 2019

Easy hike with nice views.

recorded Thors Well

Wed Apr 17 2019

great sights and cool natural phenomenons.

Mon Apr 15 2019

Short, easy hike with coastal views.

Sat Mar 09 2019

We planned this one out to be the at high tide. I was disappointed. There just wasn't the action of water that you see at the other spots along the trail.

Thu Feb 14 2019

Short, easy walk with breathtaking ocean views

Mon Dec 31 2018

Easy walk to some amazing views. The water hitting the walls was so powerful and beautiful.

Mon Oct 22 2018

did this hike October 22, 2018. essentially a drive up destination. very short walk to the attraction. walking access from this trail to a variety of the other attractions along the coast.

Thu Aug 16 2018

Amazing views!!!

Wed Aug 15 2018

So cool so worth it

Tue Jun 19 2018

Nice short trail lots of stairs we left from the visitors center and there was a tunnel under the highway almost all blackout very beautiful.

scenic driving
Mon Jun 11 2018

Mon May 28 2018

Easy hike worth the trip for the view.

Tue May 08 2018

I do this trail when I want an easy walk with a pretty view.

Sun Jan 14 2018

Short(er) hike. Loved seeing people of all ages doing it! Slippery, obviously, so wear good shoes. Great views.

Mon Jan 08 2018