Delta Ponds Trail

Delta Ponds Trail is a 1.8 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Eugene, Oregon that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

wheelchair friendly

Great place to walk or jog! Only disappointing thing is..one people litter a lot!! So I spend a lot of time picking up garbage. And this strange algae has taken over the ponds so it's not the same as it was 3 years ago!! Even the wild otters and turtles have gone down. Mainly Nutrias.

It's a flat short walk through very beautiful wetlands and wild life confidently located near the Valley River Mall.

Tuesday, September 06, 2016

I live right next to Delta Ponds and I have to move next month, which makes me feel sad. The best part of the ponds is the wildlife, and I believe it brings birds to our apartment community. The trail is easy and lovely, and while it does get a lot of traffic, I've only ever encountered a few people while I'm in the trails. I love going on misty gray days. The five-star rating is for the ponds and the wildlife but I have a huge complaint for the surrounding city and the people who inhabit it and share the land with the wildlife.

I have seen my fair share of dead animals along Delta Hwy, and twice in the past six months have seen two real horror stories. The first one involved me witnessing the aftermath of a horrible human who plowed through a family of geese as he entered the highway from Goodpasture Island Rd. We were both entering the highway but he sped past me going about 60 mph on the 40 mph road. By the time I entered the highway the damage was done and he was gone, having already caused two cars to collide. As I entered Delta Hwy, going north, feathers were literally flying. It looked like snow and I was confused because I wasn't sure yet what had happened. Because it was almost dark it was hard to make out the scene and I had to slow way down because I saw bodies in the road. At first I thought they were human and it was quite a surreal situation. I pulled off on the shoulder to assist those who were in the accident. The person who caused it was not present. He/She hit and ran. After making sure everyone was o.k., and 911 had been called, I decided to stay to give a report to the police. I could not believe how many people were running right over the dead geese, some continuing to drive at the normal speed limit as if nothing had happened. The people involved in the accidents were pretty shaken up but everything seemed under control until the unthinkable happened. We were off on the east side of the highway near the guardrail and most people were naturally slowing down to either gauk at the mayhem, or just to be careful getting through. Then, right in front of us, another car who chose not to slow down plowed right into the rear of a car that had slowed down. Both cars skidded toward us and we had to run out of the way to avoid being hit. People were screaming and dazed and it was just a nightmare. The police finally arrived and I believe there was a count of 10 dead geese in the end. What a tragedy. All of this caused by a total jerk who chose to speed onto a highway next to a nature reserve. There was a second incident like this on the entrance ramp onto the Beltline, going east, just a couple weeks later. It's truly sad that people feel their busy lives are so much more important than anything else in the world, but I see it here on a daily basis. Such a shame. The city of Eugene should be responsible for at least putting up some signage to prompt people to slow down if they insist on putting a nature reserve next to a highway.

Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Monday, August 08, 2016

Saturday, June 18, 2016

Our family enjoys this walk quite often there's geese, ducks, blue heron, turtles, it's just beautiful and relaxing

Sunday, May 08, 2016

We really enjoy walking the ponds. Sometimes it's busy but it's still always a nice walk. We see lots of wildlife, especially around dusk.