Cummins Creek Trail is a 9.3 kilometer moderately trafficked loop trail located near Florence, Oregon that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 9.3 km Elevation Gain: 378 m Route Type: Loop

To get here travel on HWY 101 4 miles south of Yachats and turn onto Cummings Creek road and drive about 0.3 mi to the trailhead.

I enjoyed this quiet and lovely hike. The climb is steep and a workout, but much of the trail is gentle and pleasant. A place to find wild iris and trillium if you time it right. A pretty view for lunch at the top.

this hike was an easy first 2 miles.. almost park like trail. trail then splits to form a loop. I went right continuing to follow old road and less scenic route. then the trail gets STEEP for a decent length but makes you feel good once it's over. The one and only view spot I didn't expect but certainly made the trail worth it in my opinion. The trail back down was also a steep incine but it was amongst the ferns and trees which made for a much prettier descent than I had anticipated due to the boring climb I had up the other side. Overall, good leg burner.. windy as heck.. might bring my bf out here.. might never do it again. idk.

The first (and last) 2 miles of the hike are near flat, very easy hiking. From about 2.6-3.2 miles is where there is the big up and you will be sweating, but it's doesn't last for long. After the gain is a nice clearing (the first time and last time a view opens up), we sat there for a bit to enjoy some sun. Overall a fine hike, definitely not hard I'd say easy/moderate, but we enjoyed it. It took us 2.5 hours including our break at the top.

Cummins Creek Trail System (Cooks Ridge (Service Road 55) - Gwynn Creek - Oregon Coast - back to Cummins Creek Trailhead.) This a good challenging trail to run. There are some longer steep inclines. There are a couple sections with bigger rocks on the trail (watch your footing if you’re running). You can make it as short or as long as you want. Make sure you check out the viewpoint. This is connected to a bigger trail system. You can connect it all the way to the Visitors Center (which has fee parking & toilets) if you want. * No parking fee. * GPS is good. * No toilet.

it was a lot of fun

We were excited to hike one of the more difficult hikes in the Yachats area until we arrived at the trailhead. The parking area has multiple, newly erected, signs warning against leaving valuables in your car and there was broken glass on the ground that was obviously from a car window. We were in the middle of a 9 day road trip so our van was full of “valuables”; all of our camp gear, bikes, coolers, etc. We felt the warnings were something we could deal with but the obvious signs of broken windows sealed the deal. Opted for something less secluded and more highly trafficked. Bummer!

We hiked this loop on 7/24/2019 moving in a counter-clockwise fashion beginning from the trailhead. Other than the steep ascent (shown on the profile at about 2.7 miles in) this trail was moderate at most. The trail was in excellent condition littered with soft tree debris and some roots. We enjoyed the wide path that meandered through big trees. There were some mosquitoes when we stopped for a quick break but not horrible. No, there are no views of the ocean because it’s in a forest. I guess that’s what we enjoyed about this hike.

Not quite sure why most of those photos were posted for this hike. My recommendation for this hike would be to park at the Cummins creek trailhead and hike in about a mile to the fork where the loop starts. That is the best part of the hike. We started on the north side of the loop which was mostly uphill and with the exception of one area that opened up where you could see a mountain side of pine trees, it was a very boring loop. You will see no water or coastal views on this loop. Just dense forest. I wouldn’t recommend this hike to anyone.

Nice forest trail.

Thu Apr 25 2019

Very nice and pretty. This hike can be made easy to moderate, and for mountain biking easy and short for beginners or longer and hard for more advanced. The trail starts at the *end* of the dirt road where there is parking for 8-10 cars (you'll see parking along dirt road and a trail head but that leads elsewhere). Note that on Highway 101 there are two dirt roads a couple minutes apart that has name Cummins, make sure to use one saying creek and not the ridge one. The trail starts off wide and well maintained with an easy slightly uphill walk. This part is the out back section and is easy. When you come to junction you can turnaround, or continue to the right until trail makes a left and starts a steep uphill where you can turnaround (slightly pass a trail sign, but no junction). This is also the way to go for beginner mountain bikers. For most part, except as noted below, this is a shaded trail in the trees. For hikers wanting more of a harder hike; At the first trail junction go left uphill, rather than right described above. You will hike up a pretty steep, but not difficult footing, trail. You will hike up this along a ridge, eventually getting less steep and then a sunny clearing. A little pass this you will renter trees and come to a trail junction marked, go right. Next you go straight downhill on what is a small dry creek bed (in August). This is only bad part of trail as parts are very steep with rocks underfoot, but it is navigable though slow. At the bottom; trail turns left and becomes easy again where you see the trail sign mentioned in above paragraph. For more advanced mountain bikers; I would recommend taking the easy description above (right at first junction) then going up the steep dry creek bed even though you'll be pushing the bike a good ways up. The reward will be a challenging but doable downhill along the ridge ride (difficult, little technical, but no jumps etc.). No matter what you do of the above, it is a beautiful trail well worth it.

Wed Mar 27 2019

Very good, but not spectacular. Uphill on way out. I took a side trail down to Cummins Creek to check it out. Potential campsites down there. Rather than backtrack to main trail, I decided to bushwhack straight up. Guess I needed the upper body work, but it was typical Oregon coastal underbrush mixed with pines. it is nice when reaching into unknown spots that in Oregon there's no nefarious thing to make you regret it. But back to the trail...I did the loop clockwise and it was a climb, but I think the other way has a shorter but steeper climb. As one approaches cut off to Cooks Ridge trail, there are some open glens where one might expect to see elk. Not today. After the cutoff (again clockwise), within a few hundred yards there's a clearing on left, soft flat mossy, a potential campsite in an otherwise uneven area. there's a few spots where one can see ocean in distance, but mostly it's trees, trees, trees.

Thu Mar 21 2019

Had a wonderful hike here on 3/21/19 it was a sunny day and this trail provided plenty of shade. This isn’t a very technical trail but does have a fairly challenging steep grade towards the end of the loop.

Thu Feb 28 2019

Killer hike with a long uphill gain. Peaceful toke spot in the middle clearing where the elk hangout

Sun Feb 24 2019

Peaceful hike thru lush green forest

Fri Jan 25 2019

Nice quiet trail in the woods. Good views from the ridge line, and you can hear the creek from parts of the trail. 1 mile+ to get to the loop where the ascent begins. Basically a walk in the woods. Good climbs for about 1.8 miles across an open section of the ridge, very pretty. Downhill and then another walk for about 2 miles. I would do it again, my pup loved it!

Wed Jan 02 2019

I made the loop counter clockwise. I wasn’t that impressed until coming back.Absolutely beautiful trail along the mountain ridge with majestic Doug Fir and Sitka Spruce. Quiet,private,meditative hike. A must do again!! If you like being alone this ones for you.

Wed Jan 02 2019

A really nice hike with some good elevation climbs, some beautiful flora at some points, and a perfect summer hike for some good exercise. I totally recommend this one.

Mon Oct 22 2018

mildly challenging hike. well maintained trail with good elevation. a couple viewpoints but dont expect a big vista at the summit.

Sat Jul 07 2018

Awesome!!

Sun Apr 08 2018

walked the entire length and back. Very little elevation, very gradual. would make a good trail running spot. can be combined with other trails to make it more interesting.

Sat Apr 07 2018

The loop is 8 miles and at the second pull out. But it’s all worth it for the view at the top

Sat Dec 30 2017

The trail was 7.0 miles not 5.9.

Tue Nov 14 2017

I hiked this on 11/4/17 with my dog. The views are definitely limited. If you want to be deep in the forest, near the ocean, with no crowd, this is a great hike. Here is a video of my time at Cummins Creek Trail: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_BUgPWiv_8

Tue Oct 10 2017

Hiked this on Sunday 10/8/17. Pretty trail- mixed growth trees, huge sword ferns and Oregon grape. Trail starts of wide, graveled, and leisurely. You reach the loop about 1.3miles in. Once you hit the loop the (left fork) trail becomes single track. I saw two groups of mushroom gathers and two bikers, no other hikers. With a detour to the Cummins Basin viewpoint my hike totaled 6.8 miles; with 1188 vertical ascent.

Fri Sep 15 2017

Nice trail. Views limited but very nice dense woods and shady!

Sun Sep 03 2017

Did the loop clockwise, great but watch for bikers. saw a spotted owl about 1/2 mile from the trailhead, awesome.

Fri Jul 07 2017

Well maintained, quiet trail. After the first mile, it climbs quite a bit and will get your heart going...but it's definitely not a hard trail. Take your time and enjoy the awesome trees and flowers :) Best part for me was that I didn't see anyone until the last 10 minutes. So nice to get away from the coastal crowds!

Sun Jun 11 2017

So I started at Cummins Creek Trail, then split and went up the Cummins Ridge Trail. That was super steep climb, but then towards the end really opened up and there was a great view of everything. See the picture I posted to experience the view. Easy to find, big parking lot, little muddy but that's what boots are for!

Sun Apr 30 2017

The meadow was spectacular and the view was beautiful. A nice spring west coast day.