Crater Rock Trail

Crater Rock Trail is a 4 mile loop trail located near Government Camp, Oregon and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

rock climbing

A fun descent from Crater Rock on Mt. Hood with the technical part of actually going to the summit. This can be done after a chairlift ride up the Palmer Lift in the spring or starting from Timberline Lodge and ascending the climbers trail.

I did this in snowshoes Dec 6th 2018. It took me three hours to get up and one hour down. Excellent day with amazing views. I got a touch of snow blindness, haha. My wayfarer style UV glasses were ineffective. You should have wraparound glasses that totally protect your eyes. There was a pungent sulphur smell higher up.

Best part was all the rock fall at night. Great campsite at the top of the spur just below crater rock.

I spent the night. Great views obviously. Stars are great. You most likely get to be the highest person in OR for a night!

Wednesday, January 04, 2017