Cowhorn Mountain

Cowhorn Mountain is a 8.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Crescent, Oregon that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until November.

Distance: 8.3 miles Elevation Gain: 2,080 feet Route Type: Out & Back

rock climbing

From OR 58 (Oakridge - Bend) the trailhead is reached via fire/forest roads with the last 15 miles or so unpaved but well-maintained enough for low-clearance vehicles to be able to get there (note the presence, however, of hard washboard on 60 and 6020). Use either 429 and then NFR 60 (going counterclockwise around Crescent Lake) or NFR 6020 right off OR 58 (7.5 miles further) to reach Windigo Pass Road. From there, follow that road to the pass; only the last 4 miles or so need to be negotiated a little carefully.

Went early October. Saw two people the whole time. Was a great hike but a little snowy up near the 6,000 foot mark. The last stretch up was a little challenging due to not knowing where the trail was. We pretty much made our own trail up to the saddle back. Views at the top were awesome! Overall a great hike but the price is at the top.

Fantastic hike. We had a sunny, clear day and could see numerous mountains from the summit. Other reviewers and our hiking book mentioned that this is a trail where you're not likely to run into a lot of other people. Well, we were alone at the summit for about 5 minutes and by the time we left an hour later I counted 17 other people at the summit. The final trek to the summit does require hands and sure footing to ascend the rock face. Took 3h 40min hiking time to complete.

Fantastic! Almost total solitude. Unbeatable views, and fun scramble to the summit. Saw one couple going up the summit ahead of me, and passed three northbound PCT thru-hikers on my way back. Mosquitoes were a force to be reckoned with, and I probably had 100 bites to show for it. Won't forget the repellent next time. Another tip, do NOT follow Google maps directions to the trailhead. It will guide you to private roads that are gated off. Get A NFS map and stick to those roads. This is really a hidden gem of a hike, a beautiful stretch of the PCT, panoramic views of all the major peaks, Crescent Lake, and you feel like you're lording over the entire expanse of Mt. Thielsen Wilderness below you once you summit. All of this minus the crowds. Will be back!

Great hike. Follow the PCT up to the side trail to the peak. Saw a Fisher on the trail.

Tue Aug 28 2018

Beautiful and rewarding views! Super fun scramble at the top. I never realized how many lakes there were in this area before hiking to the top of cowhorn

Fri Jun 01 2018

Completed on 5/27/18. We were the first to do this hike this year as far as I could tell, if you’re coming in from the north you hit the first snow patch on the road 3/4 mile from the trailhead. I parked my SUV there because it was about a foot deep and I’d rather tack miles on than risk it. Up the road there is a large tree across the road completely blocking it so you would have the walk the last 1/4 mile or so anyway. You take a right onto the PCT from the road (there are signs), then head up. The trail sort of follows the ridge line, dipping south, until you get to the saddle between said ridge and cowhorn mountain where you turn off onto the climbers trail (easy to pick up even in the snow if you just stay on top of the ridge once cowhorn is in sight). Do not attempt this hike without a gps, as there is a ton of snow on the south side of the ridge on the PCT, and I had difficulties following my own footprints back even with the silver diamond markers on the trees. The first part of the trail is not bad but it becomes increasingly difficult to follow, being covered in feet of snow. That being said, I would not hike this in the afternoon or you will be sinking into feet of snow, it’s best done in the morning. That said this hike is completely doable for a seasoned hiker who has experience route finding in the snow. Trekking poles and microspikes could be useful as some snowy parts of the trail are on a steep sidehill. The peak itself has no snow, you can almost walk to the top. I tied my pets a little below the summit in the shade which I would recommend since it becomes very scrambley and the summit is small with steep drop offs. Amazing 360 views, overall this hike is well worth the slog and mental challenge of snow.

Sat Sep 29 2018