Corvallis to the Coast

Corvallis to the Coast is a 59 mile point-to-point trail located near Corvallis, Oregon that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, mountain biking, and backpacking and is best used from June until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 59.0 miles Elevation Gain: 12,250 feet Route Type: Point to Point

bike touring

This is a hike from Corvallis to Newport on back roads, log roads, and single track. This trail is not to be confused with the C2C Trail of the Corvallis-to-the-Sea (C2C) Trail Partnership.

the idea is great, and it has so much potential. unfortunately, it tends to travel on BLM roads, which means a very substantial time hiking on BLM gravel. yes, huge pieces of sharp, pointed rock you can't avoid for miles on end. better west of Harlen if you can keep the trail and off the road. an achievement when you get through it for sure!

closed
private property

a lot of this trail shown on this app crosses private property. I had to make several modifications to my hike to get it to work, however I still found it a tad frustrating and got lost at several points and had to hike through the woods. A challenge of this trail as well is the lack of accessible water (big deal if you hike it), the lack of proper signage, and how the overgrowth consumes it at multiple points. definitely challenging but some of the beautiful views are everso rewarding. I recommend turning off towards ona on the second half of your hike.

private property

We mountain biked this trail. The trip itself was awesome! However, the map of the trail is close to useless in many places because the route doesn't overlay on the all trails map or the usgs topo layer. We ended up using the usgs layer rather than the route to navigate ourselves.Also, the last portion is through completely overgrown trail and was only found after many wrong turns. To avoid private property at the end, we took an alternative forest road to Holiday Beach. This is an amazing experience if you're up for a little adventure and budget some extra time. The view of the tidal marsh near the end is spectacular.

Wed Feb 22 2017

How about horses, has anyone done the trip on horse back? Thinking about it strongly. Any advice?

Thu Jun 11 2015

Gary Chapman, thank you for your guidance and great detail! My 13 year old son and I hiked this route earlier this year (March-May). We followed your advice and turned off to Ona Beach. It took us 10 trips and added up to about 100 miles but that's because we like to explore the offshoots and double-backed on few legs of the trip. One leg right before Harlan (going West) turned out to be impassable. Part of the road is completely gone. We pressed on only because our "sag wagon" was 7 miles west of us and there was no way to change a pickup point. :-) This was also an epic trip for us because we figured out the "recycling thing". We always seem to come loaded with litter from our hikes. This time around, we turned cans and bottles into money. Who knew?! Sad stats: we made about $1/mile. Good stats: most drivers stop and ask if they can help. We got several people lightning our load along the way. Hope: it's a long shot, but I hope more people change their mind about throwing stuff out of their cars. It's not the inmates who pick it up. It's most often kids and few enthusiastic adults. It was an amazing adventure all throughout!

Thu Oct 31 2013

I've hiked and ridden much of this route over the years and some of it is included in the Corvallis-to-the-Sea (C2C) Trail Partnership's proposal to the Siuslaw National Forest in 2010. We (the Partnership) are still working with them to get the C2C Trail built. I also recommend the Big Elk Campground about 1/4 mile west of the Grant Creek Rd. junction. The old road that links Shotpouch Rd with Harlan Rd will be severely decommissioned next year and our group is working on laying out a trail around that decom work and can always use help. The last several miles near the coast you describe crosses lots of private lands, so beware. To avoid that, I suggest you turn west down North Beaver Creek Road to Ona Beach State Park and the Beaver Creek Natural Area. Happy Trails..

Fri Sep 22 2017