Cooper Spur Via Eliot Glacier View Trail

Cooper Spur Via Eliot Glacier View Trail is a 5.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Mount Hood Parkdale, Oregon that features a great forest setting and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.5 miles Elevation Gain: 3,028 feet Route Type: Out & Back

rock climbing

A fun hike up the Eliot Glacier on Mt. Hood's Northeast flank. Good mountaineering practice and great views. This climb to the headwall of the Eliot Glacier is a great chance to practice mountaineering skills such as using an axe, ropes, belay, crevasse rescue, etc. Make sure to wear a climbing helmet because there could be rockfall. You'll have great views north towards Mt. Adams and St. Helens.

Awesome hike! The best way to view mount hood. The beginning before the hut is easy enough almost anyone could do it and you get great views from just that little bit. That said, going higher is definitely worth it, we could see Adams, St Helens and the sisters from the top. It got pretty chilly and windy on the last half mile, so make sure to pack a fleece if you plan on going that high. Also if you decide to go past the spur and across the crest know that the other side is much steeper than what you've done up until then. So if you're tired I'd just head back from there. We were also informed by the man replacing the toilet that some ridiculous human being had stolen the toilet that had been at the trailhead for 11 years. He was replacing it though so no worries. Who steals a toilet?

8/31/2019 This was the most amazing hike! Beautiful views and wonderful weather!♥️

This has always been one of my favorite late seasons hikes. Blue skies and warm weather did not disappoint today.

Awesome experience. Make sure to give extra time and bring extra water. Scree and sand take a bit longer then expected. Glad to have dinner at the end of the day at cooper spur resort tavern.

Beautiful. Definitely a must see!

Fabulous trail on a clear day with views for miles! The second mike has the steepest incline. Lots of screw and rock so need to watch your footing. Be sure to stop at the historic Cloud Cap Inn a short distance farther on the road after the trailhead. Gorgeous example of 100 year old alpine architecture. The Hood River Crag Rats gave us a little tour inside and a bit of a history lesson. Just made the day that much better!

Tue Oct 16 2018

Pound for pound the most amazing hike I’ve done in Oregon and I’ve done some amazing hikes all over this state. We caught it on a crisp clear day and the vistas are breath taking. You could see well over 100 miles in all directions. We could see St. Helens, Rainier, Adams, Jefferson, Sisters, the rolling cascades, the central oregon desert... it was well worth the effort. You can get there in a mid clearance car but we opted for a 4x4 Jeep which made getting there easier. The trail is mostly sandy and rocky. Be sure to check the weather forecast before you go. We were very fortunate but I’d pack for wind/rain/cold just to be safe as it can easily change. I’d also recommend a hat, sunglasses, something to cover your ears from wind, and gloves. Trail is never super steep for very long. Mostly a gradual trudge. A++

Sun Sep 30 2018

Ashy. Sandy. Rocky. This trail has it all. If you take Eliot Moraine way up you follow a ridge. Then cut over to the shelter. After that you follow some long gradual switchbacks up and it’s rocky. From there you are at a rocky ridge which many people turn around. We went up to the very top then up to the actual snow line at 9050’. This hike was intense but worth it.

Sun Sep 30 2018

I did not hike all the way up to the end of the cooper spur trail, I was probably only a couple of miles away. I hiked tilly jane campground, to cloud cap campground, to cloud cap inn and then retraced back to tilly jane, where I took tilly jane/cooper spur past the A-frame and up, up, up. To the shelter and past the shelter. I didn't get as great views because it was a smoky day, but it was definitely worth the trip and I will be coming here again. 8/20/18. The bugs were pretty annoying if you stopped for any amount of time and it didn't really seem that bug spray or sunscreen was keeping them away. once the cooper spur trail ends is when the mountain climbing begins. The trail up to the viewpoint is long switchbacks, slippery sand and rock and many trails that branch out or shortcuts? I took a couple of them. I saw a couple of backpackers hiking with their dog along the rim.

Mon Sep 17 2018

Lots of trail options that all end up going to the top. Well, unless you find yourself on the Timberline trail going around the mountain, which would be wrong. If you don’t follow the GPS once you pass the shelter you will more than likely take the incorrect trail and make your hike more difficult and more dangerous, as I saw a few do traversing the ridge along the glacier drop. Was completely socked in at the top. Snow the last mile or so as of 9/17 from the previous day. Stopped at the official trail end of Tie-In Rock, even though the GPS goes a bit further. It’s called Tie-In Rock for a reason; going beyond it not properly prepared to do mountaineering could prove fatal. The mileage seemed a little longer than described, and I neglected to turn on my tracker until maybe a mile or so in. Doh! The hike itself isn’t bad, but the elevation in combination with my asthma created a big challenge. After your hike continue up the road from the trailhead/campsite parking lot to see the old Cloud Cap Lodge, built in 1889, now maintained and used by The Hood River Crag Rats as the oldest Search & Rescue organization in the US! The 9 mile road going up is well maintained, but as described by others, very rough!

Wed Jan 30 2008

I think this trail has a lot of potential that I missed due to the weather. I started skiing at around 3 pm on 1/29/08 during snowfall. Aside from the first 1/10th of a mile or so I was breaking new snow up about a 5% grade, quite a workout. I made it about 4 miles up Cloud Cap Rd. before needing to turn around to get back to the car before it was too dark. I would recommend waiting for a clear day to ski this trail to take advantage of the views. This seems like a less popular spot so you can avoid the crowds of Trillium and Teacup and experience something a little closer to backcountry skiing.