Cooper Spur Trail via Tilly Jane Trail

Cooper Spur Trail via Tilly Jane Trail is a 10.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Mt. Hood, Oregon that features a great forest setting and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Continue up Cooper Spur to Tie-In Rock where the trail ends and the climbing route begins. Here is a spectacular viewpoint. There you'll find a view of the north side of Mt Hood and the Elliot Glacier.

Awesome

TRAIL CLOSED DUE TO FORREST FIRES.

This was probably one of the most challenging hikes I came across during my hiking adventures a few years ago, mostly because I was out of shape and never did a 10 mile hike like this one before. The views are totally worth checking out on this hiking trail and was the closest I have ever been to Mt Hood. I recommend bringing snacks and lots of water with you, to also take breaks in between the entire hike. I would also recommend bringing something warm or wind resistant because it does get a little chilly up there.

This was my favorite hike during our trip to Oregon in August. Gorgeous views during the whole hike. We set up camp near the Cooper Spur shelter and hiked the rest of the way. It was veryyyyy windy! I'm a small girl so at some points during the hike I felt like the wind was going to blow me away haha

Excellent experience.
Straight uphill and back.

Amazing day hike! A few pieces of info if helpful:

Start at the camp site if the road is open to save about 2 miles of trail time. Important to note, I could not find Timberline trail 600"A", I don't think this exists; Timberline "600" does. Assuming you do this route, you'll need to start at the Timberline Trail Head on the LEFT when facing the mountain. At the first intersection (within 5 mins) stay left. Follow the AllTrails route closely; where the trail cuts over to Cooper Spur is not marked at all except for a large stake across a scree field. Once on Copper Spur you'll then need to decide ridge line or switch backs. There are no signs for either. We did switchbacks which meant keeping left and low (vs going to the right and climbing up).

Took us 2.5 hours up, 1.75 hours down.

Awesome views of everything.

One of my favorite hikes around Mt. Hood pretty decent leg workout. Don't forget sunglasses, spf chapstick and sunscreen. You can switchback it all the way up, or you can go straight up. I did a combo of both.

Great hike, loved the summit.
It's definitely Classified as Hard, legs where
scream'in on the way down.
Over all, one of the best hikes I've been on.

Highly recommend! The wildflowers were all in bloom on July 8th in the remnants of the Tilly Jane forest fire. The switchbacks after the shelter are a. It unnecessary. I say trudge straight up enjoying the views of the Eliot Glacier from the banks of the moraine.