Cooper Spur Trail via Tilly Jane Trail

Cooper Spur Trail via Tilly Jane Trail is a 10.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Mt Hood, Oregon that features a great forest setting and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Continue up Cooper Spur to Tie-In Rock where the trail ends and the climbing route begins. Here is a spectacular viewpoint. There you'll find a view of the north side of Mt Hood and the Elliot Glacier.

This hike is by far the my favourite mountain hike, ever. It is challenging, so be sure to have plenty of water and food. Here’s some advice that you might find helpful:
Bring trail running or hiking shoes, since most of the hike will be on sand/loose gravel; Wear sunscreen to avoid bug-bites, since they stopped attacking me when I layered every thirty minutes; Bring a few pairs of socks, because your shoes and socks will be full of ash and sand; wear pants to avoid plant scratches or tick fears for the first 2 miles. If you arrive before 9am, you’ll have a wonderful hike, since it does get hot. Further, park at the lot at the base of the Tilly Jane trail, since there is no fee associated with that lot, and you’ll see SO much more transitions in the geography and environment.

This is a great hike if the road is closed to Cloud Cap. If the road is open, and you don't mind the abuse to your car, I'd drive up and spend more time exploring higher up.
Start early, it's worth it!

Started around 820am, took a half hour break at the top and got back around 4pm. Be mindful of the trail splits on the way down or you’ll take a nice detour like I did. Fortunately there’s a few other routes on the mountain and ended up on the Timberline Trail.
Bring sunscreen as you’ll spend most of the time above the tree line. The snow will reflect the UV rays so make sure to apply the sunscreen under your chin and nose.

Hard climb but awesome to the top!

absolutely amazing, pretty grueling at the very end, but absolutely worth it

Hiked this 2/9/18- hard snow-pack on the trail most of the way. Brought snow shoes but never used them. Did use yak-traks. Astounding views and quite windy at 7400’. Brings lots of calories cuz you will the fuel...saw a few skiers, climbers, backpackers but overall it was quite serene. Started at 0840, and ended at 1530. The trek back was extremely slick-almost fell many times. We clocked 11 Miles round trip and almost made it to the top of the spur, but it was just too icy.

This was a hard hike, and it was so worth it!!

Great views on a clear day. It was my first snowshoe of the season, so it was a good challenge

The forest road to Cloud Cap was closed, so we took Tilly Jane to the Cooper Spur trail, making it an 11.5 mile hike according to my Garmin. The first mile had a bit of mud that was easy to work around in good, water proof hiking boots. There were quite a few fallen snags and trees that were easy to climb over or under on Tilly Jane, and the trail was in overall great condition with soft ashy dirt, few rocks, little debris, and very few tree roots. It was a windy day, so we kept our ears and eyes open for falling trees, and there was definitely a bit of fresh blow down on our way out.

The trail starts in the forest. Views open up through a burnt out section that has its own beauty with white and black snags interspersed with fall colors and periodic views of the mountain, along views out over The Gorge. The trail then follows the ridge of a canyon for awhile. There was quite a bit of dust blowing up from the canyon along this section. A buff over my mouth was helpful and tears cleared out my eyes! The Tilly Jane A-Frame was locked, but we stopped at a sunny spot on some fire wood near there for lunch.

Shortly after the Tilly Jane Campground, follow signs to Cooper Spur, and the trail opens up above the tree line with gorgeous views of St. Helens, Baker, Rainier, Eastern WA and OR, a bit of the Columbia River, and, this year, a couple of lingering forest fires on the North side of the river--oh, and Mt. Hood, of course!

After that, there was hard-pack snow off and on that was easy to traverse with poles in good hiking boots. I brought microspikes, but didn't end up using them. The trail gets lost under the snow in quite a few places, but you can literally go straight up from there to the top of the hill that is in front of the mountain.

Except for the distance and elevation, and potentially unfavorable weather conditions, this is an easy trail to navigate and walk on. Much of it is exposed to wind and sun, though, and it goes to 8500' in altitude, so bring a warm layer, gloves, plenty of water, a buff, and good sunglasses (I wished I'd brought my glacier glasses for the top). Microspikes and gators could be helpful, too, although I didn't need either on this sunny Monday in late October.

We saw one other car at the trailhead, and one other human on the trail who was coming out as we were going up, so we basically had the mountain to ourselves!

Stop at the Cooper Spur Resort bar on the drive out for some great grub.

Awesome

Thursday, September 21, 2017

TRAIL CLOSED DUE TO FORREST FIRES.

Wednesday, September 13, 2017

This was probably one of the most challenging hikes I came across during my hiking adventures a few years ago, mostly because I was out of shape and never did a 10 mile hike like this one before. The views are totally worth checking out on this hiking trail and was the closest I have ever been to Mt Hood. I recommend bringing snacks and lots of water with you, to also take breaks in between the entire hike. I would also recommend bringing something warm or wind resistant because it does get a little chilly up there.

Monday, September 11, 2017

This was my favorite hike during our trip to Oregon in August. Gorgeous views during the whole hike. We set up camp near the Cooper Spur shelter and hiked the rest of the way. It was veryyyyy windy! I'm a small girl so at some points during the hike I felt like the wind was going to blow me away haha

Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Excellent experience.
Straight uphill and back.

Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Amazing day hike! A few pieces of info if helpful:

Start at the camp site if the road is open to save about 2 miles of trail time. Important to note, I could not find Timberline trail 600"A", I don't think this exists; Timberline "600" does. Assuming you do this route, you'll need to start at the Timberline Trail Head on the LEFT when facing the mountain. At the first intersection (within 5 mins) stay left. Follow the AllTrails route closely; where the trail cuts over to Cooper Spur is not marked at all except for a large stake across a scree field. Once on Copper Spur you'll then need to decide ridge line or switch backs. There are no signs for either. We did switchbacks which meant keeping left and low (vs going to the right and climbing up).

Took us 2.5 hours up, 1.75 hours down.

Awesome views of everything.

Tuesday, August 08, 2017

One of my favorite hikes around Mt. Hood pretty decent leg workout. Don't forget sunglasses, spf chapstick and sunscreen. You can switchback it all the way up, or you can go straight up. I did a combo of both.

Saturday, July 15, 2017

Great hike, loved the summit.
It's definitely Classified as Hard, legs where
scream'in on the way down.
Over all, one of the best hikes I've been on.

Sunday, July 09, 2017

Highly recommend! The wildflowers were all in bloom on July 8th in the remnants of the Tilly Jane forest fire. The switchbacks after the shelter are a. It unnecessary. I say trudge straight up enjoying the views of the Eliot Glacier from the banks of the moraine.

Saturday, July 08, 2017

Made it the whole way. the switchbacks at the top get lost in the snow so we had to go straight up the side. Doable but very difficult.

Thursday, September 15, 2016

We hiked up from the Tilly Jane campground in late July. It was a clear day and views from the top were spectacular, you could see six other peaks! Once you hit the last section it's tough due to the soft sandy soil but it's definitely worth it. There were nice chunks of lupine at lower elevation. Sunscreen is clutch in summer.

Monday, September 05, 2016

hard. bring extra water and sunscreen. very exsposed.

Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Great views of Elliot Glacier. Trail is longer than 5.8 miles.

Tuesday, August 09, 2016

Relatively easy hike until the last mile of scrambling up rock and scree to a ridge with the north face of Hood in your face. Highest you can go with out rock climbing gear.

Friday, August 05, 2016

Amazing trail. Be careful you dont get iff track near the trailhead.

Sunday, June 26, 2016

Cloud cap inn road is open. There are still snow fields over the beaten path but it makes for a much cooler climb on a hot day.

Monday, June 06, 2016

The road to the start of trail 600 is currently closed. If you plan to do this prior to July expect to have to hike Tilley Jane trail #643. It will add about 3 miles each way to your hike. (2.5-3 miles to the cabins, .5 to the cloud cap inn where you connect with cooper spur trail head) it is absolutely beautiful. I wouldn't recommend this hike for people who are just starting out (unless you're in fairly good shape). The hike is well worth it just be sure you're aware what it entails. Make sure you bring enough water to last you through the hike. I'd also recommend and early start so you can avoid the heat as much of the trail does not fall under canopy cover.

Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Hard, pretty, and worth it. Went late spring so we were on snow half the time. Also, the road was closed so we had to hike Tilly Jane trail as well. Only got to the stone house due to late start, but we still had fun!

Monday, January 25, 2016

Looks awesome! I would think that this is better in autumn or end of spring

Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Beautiful hike! Still very hot!! Bring extra water!!! There's no shade for a lot of it and the sun just blazes down on you.

Very bumpy road to get there, like other reviews said. Bring a bigger vehicle.

Also, like others said, watch your trail!! There are several trails at the top and it's confusing!! I was on a "shortcut" type trail going straight up for a long time before I realized there was an easier switchback trail! AND I got lost going down. The map on here is wrong. Told me I was somewhere where I wasn't and looking at it now I see it's not even the trail it gives you directions to! So I hiked all the way to the top and it spit me out at the beginning of cloud clap road. Which is 9 MILES AWAY FROM MY CAR!!! I was lucky enough to wave someone down and have them give me a ride to my car. Insane! And at that point my phone died and I had no water left. Some birthday hike that turned out to be hahaha but the top was worth it ...

Thursday, August 06, 2015

Great trail, with great views. Difficult but not extreme. Bumpy road up to Tilley Jane Campground. Take plenty of water, no shade for much of the way.