Cooper Spur Trail

Cooper Spur Trail is a 5.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Mt. Hood, Oregon that features a great forest setting and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and nature trips and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The only place in Mt. Hood where you can drive to the tree line and start your hike for quick views of glaciers. Begin from the small campground at Cloud Cap. Hike 200 feet south to the intersection of the Timberline Trail #600, then follow the pointer to Gnarl Ridge uphill to the left. Stay left on the trail, avoiding an intersection created by climbers who use a short cut to the glacier. The Timberline Trail climbs gradually to the southeast, passing a canyon with running water, before it reaches the junction with the Cooper Spur Trail after 1.2 miles. Turn right and switch back up Cooper Spur. Continue up Cooper Spur to Tie-In Rock where the trail ends and the climbing route begins. Here is a spectacular viewpoint. There you'll find a view of the north side of Mt Hood and the Elliot Glacier.

We hiked up from the Tilly Jane campground in late July. It was a clear day and views from the top were spectacular, you could see six other peaks! Once you hit the last section it's tough due to the soft sandy soil but it's definitely worth it. There were nice chunks of lupine at lower elevation. Sunscreen is clutch in summer.

hard. bring extra water and sunscreen. very exsposed.

Great views of Elliot Glacier. Trail is longer than 5.8 miles.

Relatively easy hike until the last mile of scrambling up rock and scree to a ridge with the north face of Hood in your face. Highest you can go with out rock climbing gear.

Amazing trail. Be careful you dont get iff track near the trailhead.

Cloud cap inn road is open. There are still snow fields over the beaten path but it makes for a much cooler climb on a hot day.

The road to the start of trail 600 is currently closed. If you plan to do this prior to July expect to have to hike Tilley Jane trail #643. It will add about 3 miles each way to your hike. (2.5-3 miles to the cabins, .5 to the cloud cap inn where you connect with cooper spur trail head) it is absolutely beautiful. I wouldn't recommend this hike for people who are just starting out (unless you're in fairly good shape). The hike is well worth it just be sure you're aware what it entails. Make sure you bring enough water to last you through the hike. I'd also recommend and early start so you can avoid the heat as much of the trail does not fall under canopy cover.

Hard, pretty, and worth it. Went late spring so we were on snow half the time. Also, the road was closed so we had to hike Tilly Jane trail as well. Only got to the stone house due to late start, but we still had fun!

Looks awesome! I would think that this is better in autumn or end of spring

Beautiful hike! Still very hot!! Bring extra water!!! There's no shade for a lot of it and the sun just blazes down on you.

Very bumpy road to get there, like other reviews said. Bring a bigger vehicle.

Also, like others said, watch your trail!! There are several trails at the top and it's confusing!! I was on a "shortcut" type trail going straight up for a long time before I realized there was an easier switchback trail! AND I got lost going down. The map on here is wrong. Told me I was somewhere where I wasn't and looking at it now I see it's not even the trail it gives you directions to! So I hiked all the way to the top and it spit me out at the beginning of cloud clap road. Which is 9 MILES AWAY FROM MY CAR!!! I was lucky enough to wave someone down and have them give me a ride to my car. Insane! And at that point my phone died and I had no water left. Some birthday hike that turned out to be hahaha but the top was worth it ...