Cooks Butte Loop

Cooks Butte Loop is a 1 mile loop trail located near Lake Oswego, Oregon that offers the chance to see wildlife and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Take a walk around the trail system of this extinct volcano. You will follow these trails through Douglas fir and maple groves looking for songbirds and raptors circling the skies near the top of the 718 foot tall butte.

Great space on the south and east side. The northern entrance and short loop are the least attractive areas.

Either all downhill or all uphill. I have knee problems making the descent and switchbacks slow. I would consider this moderate for those with any health concerns.

No major views, but it's a nice chunk of nature reserved out of an otherwise populated and luxurious area. Not much official parking at the trailhead shared with Steven's Meadow. I parked on the street in front of the fancy houses nearby, perhaps to their chagrin since I'm all lower class and such :) Nice area. Growing up near Mt. Tabor myself, I know how easy it is to take such beauty out the back door for granted. I hope those who live nearby use and appreciate Cook's Butte. I did. It seems like the northwest section of trail was freshly dug, and it varied from the gps track and park map a bit. Though perhaps my Garmin was wigging out a bit too.

Forested dirt trail in an upscale suburban neighborhood. Good dog walk. Views blocked by trees.

Saturday, September 24, 2016

Easy hike. Not a whole lot to see.

Monday, August 22, 2016

This is a cool park for running because of the challenging aspect of the hill and the switchbacks. The first time I ran up to the butte I felt like my legs would fall off but of course that made them stronger for next time. My dog loves to walk the trails as well. Bring you own water as there is none in the park. If you have some extra time explore the area and head over to Stevens meadows and walk/run through the meadow as well. If at the end of the day you have some extra time , go up to the palisades crest entrance at the time of sunset and see the sun set over the valley in a magnificent manner

Saturday, August 06, 2016

For a quick and fun workout of jogging or walking and to get energy out.. this park is great for that.. bring water...

Saturday, August 05, 2017