Cook's Ridge Trail

Cook's Ridge Trail is a 6.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Mt Hood, Oregon that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Directions from Hood River: Travel south on Hwy. 35 for about 16 miles to Smullin Road (one mile past Hood River Ranger Station). Turn left on Smullin Road and follow it until it takes a sharp turn to the south (right). Take the dirt road to the left. Trail begins about 1/4 mile up road. Vehicles with horse trailers may wish to consider parking on Smullin road near the trailhead sign.

FYI, the trailhead is Oak Ridge Trail. I didn't see that anywhere in the description so I wasn't sure I was in the right spot initially.
The trail itself was steep but enjoyable, and featured some nice wildflowers and an excellent view of Mt. Hood. Plan on going a clear day if possible! If you're​ bringing dogs, bring water too. There was basically no natural water sources in early June.

Nice little hike, the waterfall is great

Saturday, June 13, 2015

Although it's says mtn biking - it is not really a good ride. A good section of the up is very loose shale rock and impossible to ride up (maybe a pro XC guy can)...and also many sections our very very steep and I had to hike a bike a lot. Once you get into the upper tree area it is better and Surveyors Ridge is a good rideable trail. Coming down is OK but you are on the brakes the entire way and not really good. It would be an excellent hike and I'll bring my wife back here.

Saturday, April 12, 2014

Nice day hike. Elevation at top is 3700 ft. Took us about 3.3 hr up & back with a short snack break.

Saturday, March 30, 2013

We enjoyed this trail. The scenery on the way up when you're hiking through the oak grove is pretty cool - as is the view. There isn't much of a payoff at the end, but the trail forks off and you can continue on if you wish. Taking the right path apparently takes you up to some views after about 2 miles. We started on that trail but stopped when we ran into just a little too much snow for our tastes.

Trail was in very good condition, not muddy despite it being early in the season.