Collings Mountain Trail

Collings Mountain Trail is a 6.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Jacksonville, Oregon that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.9 miles Elevation Gain: 2,001 feet Route Type: Out & Back

This trail features views of the Siskiyou Crest and Applegate Lake and passes an inactive Bigfoot Trap and a number of mine adits (tunnels with one entrance). Named for two brothers who mined in this vicinity during the 1850s and 1860s. Beginning across the street from Hart-tish Park, the trail drops down to Grouse Creek. An abandoned miners cabin and an inactive Sasquatch (Bigfoot) trap are encountered about 0.75 mile up the trail. Several mine adits are found along the trail. Leaving Grouse Creek, the trail climbs steeply for one mile to the ridge top, gaining 1,000 foot elevation, and begins a long traverse of the western slope of Collings Mountain. Excellent panoramic views of the Applegate Lake and the Siskiyou Crest are seen at several locations along the trail. Trees encountered along the trail include old growth Douglas fir, sugar pine and ponderosa pine. Pacific madrone, white oak and Saddler oak can also be found. Silk tassle and manzanita are common brush species. After traversing below the ridge line for 2 miles, the trail then descends steadily for 3 miles to Watkins Campground. The last 0.5 mile of trail passes through the 62 acre Watkins fire that burned in 1981.

I did the whole trail August 11th. It is pretty steep on the way up. I really enjoyed the way it went around the mountain. And the way back down to the Lake was a great hike. Walking back to the trailhead via the road was boring but easy Miles.

This trail was a beast for the 2 miles after the Bigfoot sign so be prepared and bring a lunch. Definitely go early in the day so it’s cooler and bring some bug spray. Also part of the trail has some long grass hanging onto the trail so check yourself for ticks after... I found 2 crawling around on my legs. Overall good hike and a real workout. Be wary that there is absolutely NO CELL SERVICE, so for safety let someone know if you plan on doing this hike and give yourself about 4.5-5 hours.

Is rated as moderate and I think is accurate. Really steep in some points. Not great views, but it works for the workout :).

10 mile round trip with only minimal views as you approach watkins campground, Stein Butte trail is the same distance and has far superior views.

great place for squatchin’

This is the best trail up there and it just keeps getting better around every corner if you get a chance to go around this time of the year it's perfect

great trail if you are taking kids!

Mon May 14 2018

Beautiful views & wildflowers!

Mon Nov 06 2017

Fairly strait forward and some fun elements like the Bigfoot trap. Trail was well maintained. Some nice views up top as well.

Mon Jul 17 2017

Great trail. The miners shack has since fallen down; look for a flattened pile of wood on your right. Turn left there to get to the bigfoot trap.

Sat Jul 15 2017

Easy trail, pictueresque, with a lake across the street to cool off when your done with the hike.

Thu May 18 2017

Very straightforward up and down hike, not a lot of downhill on the climbing​ section if you start from Hart-Tish. Great views of small surrounding area. Super easy to follow trail when there's​ no snow. No blazes to be found though. Fresh bear scat on the ridge. Saw no snakes. Plenty of ticks and some poison oak. None of the above were too sketchy or terrible for a May hike.

Wed Apr 05 2017

It was a nice hike. I did the grouse loop trail (right next to Collings mtn trailhead), but it didn't seem like enough for the day, so I hiked this one after that just to the ridge. Definitely a good climb and a couple really nice views.

Sun Mar 12 2017

This trail really felt strenuous. I think perhaps because it is relatively short (3+mi to the summit) it is rated moderate but it feels harder than that. The views of the surrounding mountains were spectacular. The Applegate lake was pretty. other than those two, it was a steep trail in our beautiful Oregon wildness.

Mon Feb 20 2017

hiked it 3 times...

Sat Feb 04 2017

lots of downed trees the first mile with the creek rerouted onto the trail for a section. Once you got passed that it was fine until the thick snow towards the top. thankfully a trail runner came the opposite direction so i followed his prints. I would have not known where the trail was otherwise because of the snow. Not many scenic overlooks as I was hoping. Decent trail overall.

Sat Aug 27 2016

This trail is a nice trail, it is alot up hill. need some bud spray too. hiked 3 miles and was a great work out.

Thu Jul 21 2016

Wished we had put a car at other end point where it comes out to the road. we were really tired, when we hit the end. someone actually stopped and offered a ride( I took them up on it). beautiful views.

Sun Apr 17 2016

The first part of the hike to the Bigfoot trap was easy, the rest of the way to the top of the Mountain should be called butt kicker. Difficult hike not moderate. has a few great views never got to the end but did make it to the top. there was an old mine a quater of the way up and found a Morrell mushroom half way up.

Sun Mar 27 2016

Harder then we thought

Sat May 09 2015

We hiked up to the Bigfoot trap last weekend. It is great! The miner's cabin is now knocked down and in a pile. However, be very careful. We were taking pictures of the cabin and heard a rattle and looked down and a HUGE rattlesnake was moving and rattling between us. It just moved on across the path between us as we stood still in stunned silence. I did get a great photo but we then moved on after it went under the cabin ruble. We saw a 2nd one just before we got to the road. So be careful!!!

Sat Apr 18 2015

The short hike to the (world's first and only) big foot trap at the beginning of the trail is worth the laughs (and a photo), but careful, rattlesnakes have been seen in the area. The trap has been disabled, so it can no longer capture Squatch nor the much more frequent human visitors. There's also a fallen-down caretaker's cabin.

Fri May 30 2014

We did this hike back in Feb. this year. It was a good hike with some pretty views and lots of uphill!! There is poison oak on parts of the trail, so be warned if you catch it. We hiked the 7 miles, then the 3 miles back to our car, which to me the hardest and felt like the longest too! Enjoyed the hike over all.

Thu Apr 10 2014

I went with a group of gals not really knowing what I was getting into. We ended up clocking in at just over 10 miles and it was steep! Over 1700 ft elevation gain. I was definitely in pain that night and the next day. I love to hike and I'm a healthy, young, and adventurous person, BUT this was a bit much for me to start the season off with. If you are an avid hiker or regularly exercise, I'm sure this wouldn't be a problem for you. There are some good views up there but nothing breath taking. I will warn that there is a plethora of poison oak. It is flagging both sides of the trail so thickly that you can't help but touch it at points. I was there early spring when it is in it's deceptive stage: mostly bare branches. Beware! It's just as contagious. Over-all, this is a great hike if your goal is burning calories outdoors. It's lovely because it Oregon but it's not as enchanting as the coast, or the Redwoods, or say Umpqua Falls area. ;) Happy trails!

Sun Nov 24 2013

While I haven't hiked the entire length of the trail. I did make it to the Bigfoot Trap and old cabin. If you follow the trail past the cabin it will come out across the street from Watkins Campground on the lake. There were trace amounts of snow, but nothing to get excited about. I appreciate the historical significance more then anything.