Clackamas River Trail

Clackamas River Trail is a 14.8 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Estacada, Oregon that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

beach

Directions from Estacada: Travel south on Hwy. 224 for 16 miles to Rd. 54. Turn right onto Rd. 54, Fish Creek Trailhead parking is on your right across the bridge. The trail is located at the far end of the parking lot, across Rd. 54.

39 minutes ago

Trail is good. Some ice around where the cliffs/water run off is. Trail could also use some weedwacking around the powerline areas.

This trail is ranked moderate but it has a generalize difficulty due to the long stretches of ankle turning basalt rocks. Multiple scrambles and elevation changes. I run routinely and this trail makes you work, at the end my knees we're trashed. The listing does report that you can take your dog, and I did, but probably not ever again. Along with the paw bruising rocks, the path was very narrow at times along some steep cliffs on the river's side. Small children and rambunctious dogs beware. My dog is older, carrying a pack and on a short leash, and there were times that we had to pause and decide whether to go forward or not. We went to Pup falls, it was beautiful, but I couldn't approach too close due to the dead falls and dangerous scrambling I would need to do along with my dog. I decided to err on the safe side. The people we later encountered (14) some with dogs (unleashed), why?? If you want to hike this trail, go for it, realize there are very narrow areas with some big drop offs. If hiking with a dog, keep it short and leashed, or better leave him/ her at home. Or just keep the hike short and play in the river. All I know is that my dog won't make that trip again.
(Just a DVM who loves dogs.)

Excellent trail. Moderate to difficult.
Enjoyable up and down hike
We hiked for a total of 4 hours (12 miles ) and didn't complete it.

Great hike. Lots of people out last weekend. Some sketchy places about 3 miles in so be careful.

Pros: Pup Creek Falls, wildflowers, nice sections to stop along the river. Near campgrounds.
Cons (for dogs/small children): Trail was narrow in places with a lot of erosion. Logs to go over/under. Trail is also very slanted in sections.

Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Monday, September 05, 2016

Thursday, August 11, 2016

decent but you can't go too far back because the fires have damaged the area

Friday, August 05, 2016

Not heavy traffic durning the middle of week. Nice and shaded.

Thursday, June 16, 2016

Gorgeous scenery, multiple falls, also hiked up to Pup Falls. Can be done as a one way if you have transportation. If doing only half the trail in and back, recommend the upper half as the trail is in much better shape.