Clackamas River Trail

Clackamas River Trail is a 14.8 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Estacada, Oregon that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

beach

Directions from Estacada: Travel south on Hwy. 224 for 16 miles to Rd. 54. Turn right onto Rd. 54, Fish Creek Trailhead parking is on your right across the bridge. The trail is located at the far end of the parking lot, across Rd. 54.

Trail is good. Some ice around where the cliffs/water run off is. Trail could also use some weedwacking around the powerline areas.

This trail is ranked moderate but it has a generalize difficulty due to the long stretches of ankle turning basalt rocks. Multiple scrambles and elevation changes. I run routinely and this trail makes you work, at the end my knees we're trashed. The listing does report that you can take your dog, and I did, but probably not ever again. Along with the paw bruising rocks, the path was very narrow at times along some steep cliffs on the river's side. Small children and rambunctious dogs beware. My dog is older, carrying a pack and on a short leash, and there were times that we had to pause and decide whether to go forward or not. We went to Pup falls, it was beautiful, but I couldn't approach too close due to the dead falls and dangerous scrambling I would need to do along with my dog. I decided to err on the safe side. The people we later encountered (14) some with dogs (unleashed), why?? If you want to hike this trail, go for it, realize there are very narrow areas with some big drop offs. If hiking with a dog, keep it short and leashed, or better leave him/ her at home. Or just keep the hike short and play in the river. All I know is that my dog won't make that trip again.
(Just a DVM who loves dogs.)

Excellent trail. Moderate to difficult.
Enjoyable up and down hike
We hiked for a total of 4 hours (12 miles ) and didn't complete it.

Great hike. Lots of people out last weekend. Some sketchy places about 3 miles in so be careful.

Pros: Pup Creek Falls, wildflowers, nice sections to stop along the river. Near campgrounds.
Cons (for dogs/small children): Trail was narrow in places with a lot of erosion. Logs to go over/under. Trail is also very slanted in sections.

Thursday, August 11, 2016

decent but you can't go too far back because the fires have damaged the area

Friday, August 05, 2016

Not heavy traffic durning the middle of week. Nice and shaded.

Thursday, June 16, 2016

Gorgeous scenery, multiple falls, also hiked up to Pup Falls. Can be done as a one way if you have transportation. If doing only half the trail in and back, recommend the upper half as the trail is in much better shape.

Sunday, May 29, 2016

This was a great trail!! I would rate at a moderate do to the up and down hills. But a great way to spend the day. I was there on memorial day weekend and it was pretty crowded. You walk along the Clackamas River the whole way to pup Creek Falls. The falls are amazing but no good place to take a lunch break right next to the falls.

Friday, May 20, 2016

beautiful but has some pretty dangerous parts especially with kids where trails washed away I did the whole trail I have done easier ones rated difficult....at one point we had to hang over edge around fallen log...and another hang on exposed root from erosion and swing up ..scary especially if heights get to you. Very beautiful but if your not a risk taker I recommend start at Indian Henry hike to pup creek falls and turn back still at least 5 miles no real danger but you do get your feet wet in pup creek crossing it ..and you see the most beautiful parts .

Friday, April 08, 2016

Beautiful day. Great hike along the river. A little up and down but very easy hiking. Only had one car so not able to complete the length of the trail. Will have to come back with more friends and another car so we hike through one way and drive back.

Tuesday, March 15, 2016

this trail is closed due to the fires

Sunday, July 05, 2015

Nice trail with steady alternating uphills and downhills. Tried to go to Pup Falls on the side trail, but couldn't make it in all the way. Saw glimpses of it through the trees, but the side trail dead ended half way in. Tried to follow the creek up, but that was way too difficult.

Sunday, June 14, 2015

Gorgeous hike but for someone who hasn't been hiking in awhile it was brutal. Definitely should have done it after doing some easier ones first to get back in the groove of things. Took our dog, on leash of course, and she killed it like it was nothing. honestly if I wasn't totally wiped out right now I would rate it higher because the views were phenomenal.

Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Nice hike along the river with some pretty falls

Monday, March 02, 2015

Loved being along the river the entire hike, 11 year old son and 4 month old puppy did great! We went to pup falls and returned back to car. Hike was primarily in the shade but the day was gorgeous. Moderate hike with great scenery, a lot of places to hang by the river or in the woods to take breaks.

Wednesday, September 03, 2014

I hiked this trail on Labor Day weekend expecting at least a small crowd, but I got there in the mid-afternoon and it wasn't crowded at all. The few that were there were leaving as I started the path. The path itself was okay just a repetitive up and down along the Clackamas River. The best part by far was arriving at Pup Creek Falls. Its 237 feet tall and I was the only one there. I didn't even pass a single person on the hike back. It was like having a forest all to myself. I definitely want to come back to explore the waterfall some more.

Monday, March 17, 2014

I have hiked this trail 3 times now. Easy hike to do. Nice scenery and close to home.

Sunday, January 19, 2014

really nice river hike. fairly easy. It was a nice winter day, and the trail was clear. there were some down trees but nothing to hard to get over or around. really liked it, hope to go back in the summer.