Chief Joseph Mountain Trail

Chief Joseph Mountain Trail is a 5.9 mile out and back trail located near Joseph, Oregon that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, rock climbing, and nature trips and is best used from July until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.9 miles Elevation Gain: 1,433 feet Route Type: Out & Back

rock climbing

bridge out

washed out at 2nd river crossing. you can hike back, walk to the marina boat docks and rejoin trail there.

bridge out

My kids and I hiked this trail last October it was beautiful despite the rain, we walked to the washed out bridge and turned around. Hoping the bridge will one day be restored. It would definitely not be safe or advisable to try and cross at the waterfall especially when we went the water was raging!

We started from Wallowa Lake Marina where there is a fairly aggressive vertical climb that connects into the Chief Joseph Trail. There are excellent views during the hike and at the top. Those wanting a steep climb or descent can continue on the aggressive trail line we started on as the two trails cross each other a few times. While we opted for using both, the Chief Joseph Trail is a much more pleasant grade and terrain to an amazing view from the field hill at the top.

Haven’t seen anyone download the entire trail yet so I just did. Made it to the top of Chief Joseph point today, not to be confused with Chief Joseph Mountain as the title of this trail has you assuming. Other reviews written prior to this review cover the lower portion of the trail well. The red ‘track’ on the map stops well before the end of the trail so you may want to download my recording of the trail. 4 miles up the trail there are fallen trees and over grown fauna so you need to make your own trail from there. The views are awesome. Needed 2 bottles of water for this trip, no water past the 2 mile mark. The way point I placed on the map is at the corner of a switchback. If you continue straight instead of continuing up the switch back you will drop into a draw which you follow up to the first shoot (see vertical pic of shoot). Climbing this extremely verticle shoot takes you to the top of the crest which inevitably leads you to the top of Chief Joseph mountain if you are so inclined. Round trip is 10 miles. Have a good hike

I would totally recommend this trail to anyone who has an okay time with a steep ascent. There is a viewpoint of Wallowa Lake about 1 mile in, and we were going uphill the whole time. Great trail to look at wildflowers, and we even saw the occasional pika in some of the rocky hillsides. You share the trail with horses for a while, but eventually they split off and the trail clears up. No problems with mud, or down trees. Great experience.

bridge out

I walked the chief Jospeh / BC falls trail. Not too bad of a hike. I think it would be considered an easy hike. Never got further than Bc falls because the bridge is out. Says it’s a 1.25 mile walk but another 1.25 to walk back out. More like 3 miles total in and out.

The entire trail, including crossing the waterfall, is 6 miles round trip. it's beautiful. i like the workout though and it was rewarding to cross the waterfall. it is possible we did the wrong trail, or perhaps we did not do it all the way or something. However, my photos match those that have been posted by others for this trail, so I think it is the same one.

Thu Feb 08 2018

Beautiful trail for one so heavily-trafficked. Moderately strenuous incline. Switchbacks offered great views. Looking forward to to some bridge-repair allowing safe crossing to the remainder of this trail. We stopped and turned back at the waterfall. Going to have to go back!

Wed Oct 11 2017

Fri Aug 11 2017

Bridge was out and had to cut the trail short.

Thu Feb 23 2017

A fun jaunt out to BC Falls and back-- a nice crisp November hike. Fun for kids with the bridge and make sure to go up to the viewpoint above the falls, a quick spur trail.

Sat Jul 18 2015

Me and my father did a hike on the Chief Joseph trail and we loved the heck out of it. It's dry, but is a strenuous and beautiful hike. You can see the lake from one viewpoint, and the end of the trail leads up to a waterfall. The trail on the other side is washed out so I would not cross over to it. The hike itself smells heavenly, like roses and mock orange. Simply lovely.

Tue Jul 08 2014

Beautiful hike. Came across several deer and got an unbeatable view of Wallowa Lake below. Not too hard. But I was disappointed to see the bridge that crosses the waterfall washed out. It would be risky to cross it. But honestly. I think next time I will come prepared and give it a go.

Thu Sep 06 2012

My family and I (husband and three children - 4, 6,and 8) recently hiked this trail when camping at Wallowa Lake State Park. Even though you used to be able to go to the summit this way, the bridge that went over the waterfall is no longer there and other sites warn it is life-threatening to cross, so our hike ended there. There and back it was probably around 3 miles or a little less and gained maybe 500' in elevation. Just estimates. The trailhead is easy to get to and has lots of parking available, although it is really close to the lake and resort area. Gorgeous views along the way ending at the beautiful waterfall. Some sections of the trail are just rock, but my kids managed just fine.