Champoeg State Heritage Area Loop

Champoeg State Heritage Area Loop is a 8.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Saint Paul, Oregon that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

canoeing

Take a walk or ride around this historic 615 acre park along the Willamette River. This park is where the first provisional government of Oregon was formed in 1843. The park has a lot to offer for everyone including wetland areas, a butte (La Butte), picnic areas, disc golf, camping areas, and a variety of trails for both hiking and biking as well as.

The path I took was entirely paved. The area is beautiful and definitely feels like you're out away from the city. Good for biking.

I did the Townsite Trail and looped back on the bike path. Had an off-leash dog come after my leashed dog (per leash rule). So irritating. He was fine, but I saw several dogs off leash. FYI.

I started on the Townsite Trail and then looped back on the bike path. Nice, low crowd April Saturday morning hike with my leashed dog. Until...an off-leash dog came after us. My dog was fine, but the other owner was a total jerk. Why can't people follow the trail use rules, especially if their dog is aggressive? The experience ruined what started out as a great experience. I saw a few other dogs off leash by the docks. So, if you're a dog person and don't want issues, leave your dog at home for this one. People just do not follow the leash rule when on the trails. Too bad.

Great for kids!

nice long walk, well gromed trails and great scenery. I rated it a four cause there probably would have been too many people if it was warmer out.

Not a bad trail. I biked a lot of it. Considering it's length, I would suggest doing that if you're looking for a short trip into nature. It's a short drive from Portland and a nice area. Not a lot to see if you spend your time hiking it in my opinion.

Friday, February 19, 2016

The walk from the park to the historic Butteville Store is very pleasant. It is quite easy, as the trail is paved and the only incline is on the return from the Butteville Store back to the trail. There are pleasant views of the Willamette River along the way and lush green forests with huge trees. There are also more trails within the park, again very easy with little or no incline and well-maintained trails.