Cascade Head Trail

Cascade Head Trail is a 6.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Otis, Oregon that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from March until October.

Distance: 6.3 miles Elevation Gain: 1,381 feet Route Type: Out & Back

beach

The trail was very muddy but to be expected for this time of year. Slippery coming back down. Amazing views when the fog cleared. Love all the bridges in the lower part of the hike. Saw elk at the beginning of the trail and many birds along the whole trail. My Apple Watch tracked the whole hike from lower parking lot to the upper parking lot and back as 7.15 miles and 1521 elevation gain.

Fun overlook to ocean and river. Good, short, tough hike. Loved it! ...good amount of mud.

private property

Trail is pretty obvious at all times. Many built in wooden steps. It gets pretty steep (warning to the faint of heart). Roots on trail in many areas. For those with good balance even a little athleticism its easy to medium difficulty.

Lots of signs saying no dogs on the south side trail but otherwise great hike

Took my 9 year old on this hike. We were so glad we had walking sticks, made it much easier especially with mud and the steep inclines. Lots of twists and turns, well marked paths. Parked at the fishing dock Knight Park, you go through private property and along a road for awhile until you get to the path. This was by far the funnest hike my daughter has been on she said.

I did this today from the top, as my bad knees do better up than down, and I wanted to do down first. That way if I found it too hard on the switchbacks, I wouldn't miss out on the best views. Also the mostly flat wslk through the pines was nice when I was most tired. I did turn back before the end as there were raindrops, but they didn't amount to much. Saw a lot of elk poop, but no elk. Also only met one other single hiker, one young couple and one family. So not only scenic, but peaceful. This is a spectacular walk/hike. A must do if you are in the area.

Amazing hike!! Beautiful views! A little muddy and slippery but the trail is maintained well and nicely marked!

An awesome hike first thing in the morning. We got to see the sun rise up over the mountain and elk surrounded us the entire way up. Bring bug spray. The mosquitoes are insane, but so worth the view.

Such a rad hike. Got to see a HUGE herd of elk and some whales as well. Beautiful view from the top. Just a warning, however. When you reach the switchbacks, the mosquitos are TERRIBLE. I don’t know if it is the season or what exactly, but it was really bad. After the hike, I found 50+ bites. They had bit through my pants. So fair warning, applying bug spray may not be a bad idea. Other than that, an incredible hike with a spectacular view of nature and the ocean.

Amazing! We started this from the top trailhead as we headed toward Hart’s Cove.

I highly recommend! This was a pleasant hike and once at the top you will see the most breathtaking views!

Amazing! The views are breathtaking. The trail is excellent. Populated, but not crowded.

Beautiful hike and spotted 30 Elks in nature with breath taking views. The destination is whats really beautiful, half of the hike is covered with trees and not much to see but the destination is worth it. A must hike though.

My watch tracked the hike closer to 7.15 miles, the views are awesome. The only part I found really rough was the switchbacks up the hills, but at least I could stare at the ocean during this part. Definitely a challenging hike but well worth it!

My son and I traversed this trail to the lower lookout and were so happy we made it! What an amazing view. We decided not to go to the top since I really was not wearing proper shoes. Needless to say, the trail is very well kept, but you will want to keep your eyes on the trail. Lots of roots you have to scramble through. If you have knee problems...don't take this trail. High steps at times and the zigging and zagging of some of the roots can make it very difficult.

Stroller not approved. This trail is amazingly beautiful. I wouldn’t classify this necessarily as hard as we did it with a baby on our backs but it is challenging. We made it most of the way but had to turn around before the last stretch up to the top because as I said we were carrying a baby in the hiking backpack and didn’t think it would be safe coming down. The last 1/4the of the hike to the top is a bit dusty/rocky and more of an incline than I’d be comfortable with. Besides the very last bit to the top it’s not bad. Up and down but worth it. There are mosquitos at the parking lot and only got bit on the way back between the road and the parking lot but if you walk fast you should be okay. Definitely would do this again.

Difficult for those who aren’t ready for the initial steep climb but becomes easier after the first half mile or so. I only went halfway bc I was happy with the lower viewpoint. It still yielded spectacular views. Not dog friendly but still saw people bringing them unfortunately. A few small friendly creatures too :) The trail was very well marked as well

Amazing trail with great a great view at the end! If you’re feeling ambitious it’s fun bringing a mini picnic to enjoy at the top as a reward. Perfect for anyone looking for well kept and well marked trails. Almost impossible to miss the trail. Had a good mix of sunny and shady sections to walk through. I would recommend going earlier in the day around 9am on a cool day before it gets hot and crowded. Would not recommend going the day after a storm. The trail gets slippery fast if the ground is still wet from rainfall.

Last stretch is no shade and on the steeper side but not extreme. Lots of people, good view at the top with a lot of flat space to spread out and rest or snack.

Beautiful Coast Trail! Loved the views! Definitely enjoyable and challenging!

Fantastic! Great hike through a spectacular area. The views are jaw dropping. The trail is in good condition, and well marked. Lots of people, so getting out early is key, if you want a little solitude.

Nice trail with a rewarding view. Pretty steep elevation gain in an exposed area. We had a nice breezy day to help with the heat. Great hike would recommend.

Highly recommend if you like a challenging hike! Dogs are not allowed but I saw some hikers taking their dogs. I suggest to start at exactly 7am if you don’t like to be bothered by crowds.

I would recommend!

Great hike today. Beautiful weather. Walked through a forest and then out into the open meadows for the steep switchback climb to the top. Recommend starting early in the day to avoid the heat and crowds.

great hike minus the people

A beautiful walk in the park from people who hike the Adirondacks, NYS & White Mountains, NH.

Drove in to Oregon and were looking for hiking in February 2018 because Multnomah was closed so we came across this hike and it was amazing!! Nobody on the trail, cloudy day, foggy, but still amazing views! Will def do it again!!