Cascade Head via Nature Conservancy Trail

Cascade Head via Nature Conservancy Trail is a 2.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Neskowin, Oregon that offers the chance to see wildlife and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from July until December.

Distance: 2.6 miles Elevation Gain: 311 feet Route Type: Out & Back

This route is CLOSED Jan 1 - July 15! Not accessible year-round. If you want to hike in the area, check out our listing for the Cascade Head Trail https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/oregon/cascade-head it is open year round.

closed

beautiful trail CLOSED UNTIL JULY 2020

I’m an Oregon transplant, 6 months now, and this is my favorite trail so far. It wasn’t crowded, which is good because some of it is narrowed path. Nice workout, mostly uphill with a few level breaks. I’m excited to see it in all 4 seasons!

Great hike through beautiful PNW mossy forest to a hillside overlook down the coast. Saw a couple dozen elk in the distance at the lookout. Definitely recommend!

I’ve done this trail before, so I knew how nice the view would be on this clear October day. The trail is muddy in spots, and there’s one downed tree, but all in all it’s a very easy hike. No elk were spotted, but there were plenty of elk pies at the top of the hill. Keep your eyes peeled for mushrooms.

Beautiful hike. Pretty flat at Very muddy so prepare. Lots of mosquitos at the viewpoint/summit.

Short and easy, but beautiful views at the end! Went on Labor Day, wasn’t too crowded. Roads are gravel but fine for cars.

The hike was beautiful! You start out in a forest and end in a meadow with a beautiful view of the ocean. The only issue we had was the drive to it. If you don’t like driving on narrow, windy gravel roads you may want to reconsider or have someone else drive. We were surprised and a little alarmed.

Beautiful place! Very easy. Highly suggest if you like trees, a good view and an easy outing.

This is the easy way to Cascade Head’s beautiful meadows. This is a short, easy hike with a big reward. A few caveats: - Parking is limited - may be a bit crowded depending on the time of week (Wednesday was pretty reasonable) - seasonal Be sure to make some noise if you hike alone. Lots of elk graze on the upper portion of Cascade Head.

Came across a herd of elk this morning, laying in the grass in the clearing at the end of the trail. One very large elk stood and faced me and I slowly backed out of there. Pretty amazing.

This is the shorter version of the famed cascade head hike. We stopped here on the way to Hart’s cove and ended up staying the afternoon. The trail takes you through the woods to the very top of the headland, a grassy meadow overlooking the sea-stack filled ocean.

Very beautiful views--breathtaking

Mon Jan 14 2019

according to the USDA Forest Services website, this part of the trail is CLOSED Jan 1 - July 15! Not accessible year-round. If you want to hike in the area, hike what's called Cascade Head Trail on this app. That is the section that stays open year-round.

Sun Nov 25 2018

Took the kids up for Thanksgiving Day break . It was perfect no wind what so ever and the fog cleared right as we came up to the head we love this hike !!

Sun Nov 18 2018

Oh, the view! If you’ve hiked God’s Thumb, you should definitely hike this to see the other side of that hike with a better view of the river. It was a clear day, and perfect weather, so the people were out. I clocked about 450 feet of elevation gain, but I didn’t feel it at all, and the muddy sections people complain about were no issue because we’ve had such dry weather lately. Critters spotted on the trail: one fuzzy wuzzy caterpillar. That’s it. For real. Lots of elk poop, but no elk sightings for me today.

Sun Oct 14 2018

This easy hike has a million dollar view.

Fri Sep 14 2018

NO DOGS ON THIS TRAIL! Alltrails is incorrectly marked on this one. We walked about a mile in and then turned around- because there didn’t appear to be any end in sight and we had a sad dog in the car- so I think it is a longer trail than the 2.1 round trip the trail description states. Even with the misstated info, this was a beautiful hike through a temperate rain forest and we will definitely be back to explore- sans dog.

Tue Sep 11 2018

Wonderful easy walk but don’t bother if there is fog.

Mon Aug 13 2018

An unbelievably easy route to Cascade Head in contrast to the more strenuous climb from the trailhead below. The only challenge is to dodge the patches of mud on the trail. The flora is uniquely beautiful here, with lots of moss, clover and gnarly branches. The view from the "end" of this hike at the summit marker is nice. For even wider open views, hike down the trail a couple switchbacks.