Cascade Head Trail

Cascade Head Trail is a 5.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Otis, Oregon that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

beach

Hiked on a whim on 05/18/18. Wildflowers still not quite out in force. Signs of elk abound - poops and off-trail scrambling evidence are all over the hill.

so gorgeous! kind of steep in some areas

I picked a fantastic day to go. It was a fairly step hike but the trail is well maintained. For my first hike of the season I wish I would have chosen something with a more gentle climb, my ankles and knees felt every step of the downhill only reminding me that I need to build my endurance after taking the winter off. The view was amazing and for at least half of it you are looking out at the ocean. It was one I will do again.

Easy and worth going

Awesome hike. I only wish the fog would have cooperated so we could see more of the view! I'll have to try it again on a clear day.

Challenging the way out with the incline. But the view was well worth it. Would have love to access that beautiful beach!

4 23 18 great short hike. It was nice not to just be in trees.

We picked a gorgeous day! Moderately challenging with picture perfect views.

One of the best hikes (if not the best) I’ve done on the Oregon coast. Saw a heard of elk, and it was gorgeous out.

Hard to beat this hike on a clear day. Beautiful old-growth forest and breathtaking coastal/ocean views! Great wildlife viewing too!

This hike is beautiful. The forest is great and the elevation gain is a slight challenge. The ocean view at the end is pleasant.

Great place one of the best on the coast. You can take the very easy level hike or a nice big crazy one.
The view is amazing.
Pics at Instagram nowboardingphantom4drone and drone video clips of the Oregon coast at YouTube now boarding (phantom 4 drone)

What a great hike! This trail was everything we had hoped for. We had a beautiful sunny day today. A little muddy especially for the first 1.5 mile or so, but well worth the mud and the effort! Not too easy, but not too hard, and the views once you get to the meadow are amazing! It was about 5.5 miles from the parking lot to the top and it’s uphill most of the way there. I highly recommend this trail, you won’t be disappointed! Wear hiking boots if you have them.

The view is incredible the way to the view not so much!

We went in early January and it was sunny and no wind! The trail was a little muddy here and there, probably due to recent rains, but overall was easy to hike. The views are incredible! Kind of a bummer that you have to walk alongside the road for the first stretch of the trail, due to the trailhead being a short distance from the parking lot. Great hike though, will continue to make this trip!

It was pretty muddy but WELL worth the hike! It’s a quick trip up and you descend even quicker. My family, including a 5 year old knocked this out in about 90 minutes total. Oh, and the view is spectacular! We all loved it.

Amazing views! Very muddy is right. It was SO DANG COLD the day we went, there was still a nice dusting of snow up there! The elk were wayyyy on the side of the hill so you could only see them from far away. Still SO amazing. Need to come back and do Hart's Cove when it's available. Decent elevation climb but a few sets of kids came FLYING by so they were having no problems haha.

Scenic, good workout and the trail is muddy.

Just the hike I was looking for, scenery, wildlife and a good workout. Amazing views that I could not stop looking at! Yes, a little muddy, but not bad.

Awesome Sunday hike. Definitely muddy, but not nearly the worst mud trail I’ve experienced at the coast. Great views, lots of amazing places to have a rest and a snack. Wonderful mix of views, wooded areas, and wide open spaces.

Lots of steep steps and mud at the start but worth it.

Vermont meets Scotland meets a dash of Hawaii. The payoff after the first 2 miles of the hike is unlike anything else. Herd of elk (experience may vary) - perfectly elk-mowed bright green fields over rolling hills with stark contrast clean cut trails (mostly muddy in January) switching up hills for as long as you want to go it feels like. Pretty unreal if you hit the coast early when no one is there.

A good butt-kicker! Foggy and beautiful! Not too much cold weather, but lots of muddy trails. And we saw 85 elk!

Hike: January 1st, 2018.
A great hike watched the sunrise up over the mountain side, casting a beautiful array of colors. Was a beautiful clear morning! Easy location to find! Parking available and restrooms. Hike wasn’t to difficult, did have some steep inclines. Altogether a great hike!

This was such a beautiful hike. We did it in the rain, wind, and fog and we still enjoyed it. I want to return on a clear day to really take in the views.

Completed on Christmas Day 2017; absolutely perfect hike! Once you get off the road and into the woods, terrain is a bit rough with tree roots and an incline, and then spits you out onto beautiful meadows with stunning views until the top. Trail in the woods was muddy but do-able. Would definitely recommend!

Fantastic trail. Lots of variety to the terrain - some easy and some more challenging sections. Amazing views from the overlooks. I'd recommend going all the way to the upper trailhead, it is worth it and not far from the upper overlook. Trail gets sloppy during rain.

Elk and whales. Great views. Wet and near road at the start.

nice crisp day with a breath taking view.

You could stop hiking as soon as you get out onto the field section, but going all the way to the top was hard and worth it.