Cape Sebastian Trail

Cape Sebastian Trail is a 2.7 mile out and back trail located near Gold Beach, Oregon that features beautiful wild flowers. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

lots of stumble bumps. watch out for posin oak

We didn’t make it all the way down to the beach, but had some great views of the sandy cliffs and rocks. We saw a spotted seal and lots of ochre starfish. Steep climb back up at the end. Had a lot of fog, so that hampered the view a bit u Cory Steph.

Beautiful views of the coast. About the first half mile is paved with scattered benches. The majority of the trail covers the wind as you are surrounded by lush ferns, flowers and tall trees. Access to the beach is pretty steep and has rope for some assistance.

Great

This is one of my very favorite trails. As soon as you’re a little ways in, you’re out of the wind. The views are amazing. I like to invite friends for a breakfast hike and eat on the sandstone cliffs below. We then walk on the beach to the Meyers Creek pullout where we leave an extra car. So fun!!

Excellent hike.last few feet to the beach is a bit dicey but worth it.

One of my favorites and a regular for me and my family. We take all visitors on this trek. It’s an easy shuttle or moderate in and out (the ascent may be difficult for some.). This is a quintessential coast hike starting at the top of the gorgeous cape, where on a clear day you can see for miles in either direction.
Most of this well maintained trail is is the woods where the shore pines protect from Gold Beach’s notorious wind and it’s an easy descent with fabulous views.
Keep an eye on the surf when you get towards the bottom of the trail for seals, otters, and whales! I love climbing on the rocks jutting out into the waves and watching with some snacks.
Since we always do this hike as a shuttle, we follow the trail all the way down to the beach, where a brief steep descent is aided with a rope (small children we’ve seem to find it exhilarating because it is both challenging and doable for them and not so long a descent an adult can’t carry them.) I did this one with my 3 month old in an Ergo carrier.
The beach itself is a prime example of southern Oregon’s magnificent beaches and counted amping the most beautiful in the world. I can’t recommend this hike enough.

Great hike with spectacular views over the Pacific.

This mileage on this trail is the most accurate. You can keep going but unless you are planning a long hiking trip, then keep going. This trail has beautiful views and you can see arch rock from here. It is tough going back up the mountain to your car though.

Awesome trail ! Must see and must do.

Friday, July 28, 2017

Beautiful views of the rugged coast. There were some blooms remaining yet along the trail. We saw a couple sea lions hanging out at the beach right at the shore line

Thursday, June 29, 2017

Good trail that ends with a beautiful overlook of the ocean. Starts out at easier grade than heads down through several switch bakes an ends on the coast.

Saturday, April 29, 2017

Great trail. Gradual, steady decent makes this trail fairly easy with rewarding views throughout. Highly recommend it! One of my favorite ones in the area.

Saturday, October 29, 2016

Did it today with my dog Brook. The very beginning isn't much, a couple viewpoints and an asphalt trail, which I strongly dislike. Just past the half way point it turns into a nice trail. The bottom 1/3 has some really good views and is a very beautiful trail. There were quite a few small trees across the trail due to recent storms but easy enough to navigate. There's a short span of crab rope to get you onto the beach safely. Brook loved the beach part as she crashed a few waves. Only met up with 3 people on the trail. The next time up I'll take trail north...

Wednesday, July 20, 2016

This hike was beautiful. We didn't make it all the way down, but there were stunning views & the difficulty was just right.

Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Great trail! Kind of slippery from rain but absolutely beautiful.

Monday, March 28, 2016

Starting from the bottom of the trail is nice, in that is seems to me to be better finishing a hike with a down hill stretch. However, you need to park at the scenic turnout off 101 just to the south of the park, and before it turns up the mountain. It's probably just shy of a mile from there to the ropes that start the trail. At a low tide the beach is wide, at high tide there is some scrambling over a patch of rocks and landslide material always sliding out to the ocean. This, being the start of that season, means there are some small trees down across the trail, none big, and all easy to crawl over. The rope to get on the trail at the bottom is intact, even with the lower post loose. You do need the rope, it's slippery.

Monday, February 29, 2016

Nice hike. I took the left trail that heads South. Great Views, then some forest, the it opens back up for some more great ocean views. Alot of elevation drop from the top of the cape down to the bottom of the trail so if you are a beginner I would recommend starting at the beach so you can get the up hill part of done at the start of your hike. I found this hike to be easy, but some of my less experienced hiking mates found it a bit more challenging.

Wednesday, September 30, 2015

This is one of my favorite trails in the area. I like starting out at the Beach and walking along till you reach the bottom of the trail and then take it to the top. It is a great ending and spot for a little picnic.

Monday, June 22, 2015

I was rather disappointed. The first 1/4 mile was very nice, then just a walk through the woods with a lot of elevation change. Turned around at 3/4 mile.

Saturday, March 28, 2015

From the trailhead there are two choices for this hike. Go "left" towards the south. Great views, fragrant forest, and then it finally ends up above a beautiful set of rocks where you can comfortably watch the waves crash and view further south down the coastline.

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

I went with my nieces and there friend, thinking this was going to be a leasure moderate hike. But it turned out to be quite treacherous and almost dangerous. We are a family who hikes regularly and were just surprised that it was not what we expected.

Thursday, March 19, 2015

This trail was awesome! Love the views & the variety on the trail from the tree tunnels at the top, the lush green to the switchbacks. The roping at the bottom it helpful for getting down to the beach as it was a bit tricky.

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Beautiful hike. A little muddy in some areas but it should be expected since it is in the middle of the winter. A little work on the return. start early in the morning since you'll be stopping taking pictures of the beautiful scenery.

Friday, June 15, 2012

It's one of the most beautiful trails I've been on. Ferns, wild Iris, Pines that are so fragrant. We hike more than what was tracked. It's a must hike!

recorded OR - Cape Sebastian