Cape Mountain Wapati Loop [CLOSED]

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(24)
Siuslaw National Forest

Cape Mountain Wapati Loop [CLOSED] is a 5.2 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Florence, Oregon that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, running, and nature trips and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.2 miles Elevation Gain: 807 feet Route Type: Loop

closed

It has been reported this trail has a temporary closure due to COVID-19. Please see the park's website for up to date information.

Cape Mountain offers 17 miles of trails. This area is a hidden gem in Oregon, and somehow remains that way. It is accessible to horses, hikers, and mountain bikers, but it is rare to see anyone out here. My husband, dog and I did 7 miles of this hike from the trailhead to Princess Tasha to Scurvy Ridge to Berry Creek to Nelson Ridge. The Wapati trail is on the inside, but there is no AllTrails for the other ones yet. The trail is narrow but decently maintained. There wasn't a soul in sight the entire time we were there. The homeless camp is no longer in the parking lot. I would download / bring a map to help navigate the trails but there are a fair number of map postings along the trails that are helpful. This is a dense forest that has Sitka spruce, Douglas fir, and Cedar trees. Absolutely stunning and SO quiet! The only sounds are the ocean nearby and birds chirping. The hike is on stolen Siuslaw native land.

Homeless camp at the trailhead deterred us from hiking.

Trail was great. Nice to have multiple options. The worst thing is the homeless camp that’s in the parking lot.

Cape Mountain Trail System. (Princess Tasha - Scurvy Ridge - Berry Creek - Nelson Ridge - Cape Mountain - Princess Tasha) It’s a good trail to run. You can make the distance short or long depending on which loop you choose. Good elevation changes. Has benches along the way if you need to rest. I like to go when is nasty outside (the rainy season). You don’t see much people. Also had some snow stick up by the lookout. * No parking fee. * GPS sometimes goes out. * Has a vault toilet.

You can make this as short or as long as you want. I challenged myself to do some uphill and downhill and also wanted to see the old lookout site. If you follow my route you’ll have a good workout. Tip: take a picture of the map and use a GPS device to keep track of where you are. P.S.-I don’t know where the 5.9 mile route is that Trail maps is referring to.

I loved this hike! But first: the sign on 101 says “Coast Horse Trails” and then you are looking for the Dry Lake Trailhead. There is a good map at the trailhead and at each junction, except the turnoff for the Wapiti trail- the one at the trailhead is correct for that junction. The gravel road is pretty rough going... you might not want to attempt it, for instance, in a Miata. We only encountered 2 other parties the whole time we were up there on a national holiday. The trail is easy going (if only the road was as well maintained) with gentle grades. It might not be great in wet weather as much of it is in a slight rut. It was fascinating to move through several micro-climates, including old growth forest, a riparian zone, forest recovering from a fire 100 years ago, and open meadow. I was excited to find a bunch of Indian Pipe in bloom- I’d read it was indigenous to the area but hadn’t seen any. We heard lots of birds and saw signs of elk and bear. Like many forest hikes, it isn’t terribly photogenic, but it’s a lovely experience and well worth the trip.

Thu Mar 28 2019

Nice area, but the trail is not marked well if at all. Spent an hour walking around by GPS and got in 4.5 miles. There are no signs at the trailhead, only a map once you get to the old fire tower spot. I would go again now that I have some idea of where I'm going. Horse tracks on the trail but no horses, only a few mountain bikers.

Tue Jan 29 2019

Had no issues with the map which I downloaded before heading out. There are also "you are here" maps at trail junctions, very useful. Lots of trail options. I also took the side trail up to the old lookout on top, nice views of the ocean and can just see the top of the Sisters mountains to the east. Trail is set in lush green forest and is in good condition. Very enjoyable hike.

Mon Aug 06 2018

Shown map is incorrect. I uploaded a map of trails as a photo. Several connecting trails to choose your route. All forest trails. Well maintained trails. Quiet.

Sun Jul 29 2018

We took our dogs here for a beautiful morning walk. I did read reviews prior and made sure to drive up the road further to get to the trailhead. A few RVs were camped up there but there was still plenty of parking for hikers. The trails are deeply covered in trees and it splits off to other trails. Trail maps are located throughout the trail.

Sun Dec 17 2017

13 of us from two hiking groups hiked this trail today. Not far north of Florence, Oregon and a short distance to trailhead. Road off Hwy 101 & is well paved 1 mile up and then gravel with just a couple ruts for two miles to trailhead. Bathroom at trailhead. Corals, hitching posts & water tub for horses. Trail was recently maintained, well marked with maps, etc. Beautiful hike with various trees, a couple creeks to cross, benches to sit, views to see beaches, evidence of elk and possibly bear and there is a meadow & bench to stop for lunch. I would definitely hike here again.

Mon Oct 16 2017

As mentioned the road up turns into gravel for the last 2 miles with potholes. There are short trails to the top with limited view. There is a long loop, Nelson ridge with a limited views. Its rocky with post holes from horses as it is a Horse Camp area. Its weird Mt Biking isn't mentioned but it is a unspoken rule that bikes are allowed here as there used to be a Mt. Bike Group that used these trails a lot and they were the only ones that kept the trails open.

Thu Oct 12 2017

it's just a residential road

Thu Sep 07 2017

Like other people mentioned, the trail map shown is the road up to the trails. The nice things were that there were lots of different trail options of varying lengths and they were mostly well marked. We did about 9 miles and the things I did not like were that the trails started near the top and I don't like starting my long hikes going down. It makes the end a little rough. Also, a bunch of the trails are super overgrown and not well maintained. It also was a lot of the same thing. The forest was pretty, but it was a lot of the same things. Overall it was a fine hike, but not one that I feel the need to go back and do again. The last thing is when I'm hiking that close to the coast, I want to actually be able to see the coast at some point and I wasn't able to because the trees were too thick.

Thu May 25 2017

The trail shown here is just the road to the trails, FYI. Drive up 3 miles and go to the Dry Lake Trailhead for lotsa trails and fun. Pretty meadows overlooking the ocean and varied terrain that was fun for sure. Will go back to do some of the other stuff for sure

Sun Jun 15 2014

Again multiple trails, good fun though. Plan to go back to try the others there

Thu Apr 12 2012

Several trails on this "mountain" They run through re-forested areas. Some spectacular views of the Oregon Coast. Some steep climbs/drops and maybe wading through small streams, depending on time of year. You can do short distances and longer ones, depending on the route you choose. Worst part is getting there on the 3miles of gravel, pot-holed road towards the top. This date, several parts of trails still covered with storm damaged branches and some mud.