beach

1 hour ago

Beautiful views! Trekking poles are a definite help past the first lookout point where the trail is pretty muddy and you have to traverse significant sections of large roots. This section comprises a good third of the trail and is doable without poles if you take your time. I brought my poles but let my friend use them. Half the people we passed on the trail saw the poles and commented that they wish they had a pair. I know it’s the coast but this is not a trail to do in your sandals. With all of the trail disruption from roots, mud and rock I wouldn’t even recommend tennis shoes. You are best to have something with traction and ankle support if you are going the whole way. When I arrived the parking lot was empty. When I got back to my car it was full. Please be courteous and park head in. Several cars had parked along the curb and this took up two parking spaces. Additionally if you are bringing dogs or young children, use caution. As we were returning I came upon two young children standing at the edge of the cliff. Mom eventually came up behind them... but remember that the trail can be forest one minute and the next walking along a sheer drop off. I am a dog lover but please be responsible when bringing your dog. A leash is required and is a good start but the trail can get very narrow and busy. Please remember that in those tight spaces other hikers are forced to be in close proximity to your dog. It would be courteous to stand between your dog and other hikers. My daughter was attacked by a german shepherd and had a fear of dogs for a long time... todays hike would have been a terror for her because so many dogs that were leashed were still almost on top of us. Also just a few more points of helpful information. My favorite views were along the way. The end lookout is fabulous but if you are expecting to see both the beaches north and south of the peninsula you will be disappointed. Expect a sweeping view of the Pacific but limited to straight out and to the south. Also, we were only one of two groups when we arrived at the end. There is a small bench that can accommodate 3-4 people which is where we sat down to have our lunch. But as we left we passed so many that were inbound that I am sure the area at the end of the trail filled up fast.