Cape Lookout Trail

Cape Lookout Trail is a 4.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Tillamook, Oregon that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

beach

A beautiful peninsula into the Pacific Ocean with plenty of views There isn't much elevation change in this peninsula walk, just great views! You'll be hiking along cliffs 400 feet above the water below. If you are lucky and its not raining you'll be rewarded with amazing views.

This is a great hike for the family. We did this hike with a 3 and a 4 year old and they did great. The trail is very clear and well maintained until about half way when you start to hit the switchbacks. At this point it gets muddy and there are tons of tree roots. The trees on this hike a huge and grow in all kinds of crazy shapes. At the beginning there is a fallen tree that made a cave under the roots that the kids love. There are a few trees that have "tunnels" under them that are fun to play in.
There are lookouts along the path that allow you to look back to the beach and look down several hundred feet to the ocean. Great hike. Great views. And the plus is that it is close to the Tillamook Cheese Factory were after a long hike you can stuff your face with free cheese and get some ice cream.
I am not sure about the actual trail length. Alltrails.com says that it is 4.6 miles round trip, the trailhead sign says that it is 2.8 miles each way (5.6 miles total), and my GPS says that it was 6.5 miles round trip. Not sure which is right, but either way it was fun.

Great hike! It’s a doozy in the winter months, be prepared to get muddy. I wouldn’t recommend small children. Lots of exposed roots which were great while it was wet and muddy, helped with my footing. The view at the end of Cape Trail is breathtaking! I’d love to go back and hike the North and South trail!

One of the best coastal trails we have! Easy five-ish mile out and back with a some elevation gain, which you'll feel most on the way back to the trailhead. Expect to get muddy even in summer, especially in winter, and the views are well worth it. The trail is well maintained but not level and in many places tree roots are both a blessing and a curse. Great place to view sea birds as well as ospreys, bald eagles, and an occasional peregrine falcon. Excellent place for whale migration observation in late December and again in mid-March. Good and interesting hike for kiddos who can go the distance. Plenty of people bring their doggos but if your dog doesn't like heights, other dogs, of standing on a cliff near other dogs at the same time, maybe best to leave them home. Also, PLEASE LEAVE THE TRILLIUM ON THEIR STEMS which begin to bloom in February. Picking the flower can irreparably damage the entire plant, requiring years to recover before being able to bloom again. Please help protect them. :)

The view on the way up is beautiful!

This is one of my absolute favorite trails I’ve discovered in Oregon. The forest and the ocean-doesn’t get much better than that!

This trail is beautiful. One minute you are in lush green forest, the next you are looking out at the ocean and smelling salt air. It does have some steep drop off ledges in points so keep dogs on a leash. It also has patches of thick mud and large tree roots so wear appropriate shoes. It is an out and back trail ending in a beautiful look out point.

Fantastic hike to catch some tiny distant whale spouts and a phenomenal sunset New Year’s Eve. Prepare for mud :)

We took a Black Friday hike on this trail and it was gorgeous, we got very lucky with the weather humans have some fantastic views! Definitely would bring someone else here.

great views!

This was a great hike! 10/10 would recommend. I went in early November for a morning hike. I ran the first mile (it was all downhill) and then after the first lookout point the trail became covered in roots and very muddy and I wasn’t really able to run it. It was still quite easy and really enjoyable. The lookout point was beautiful you can see miles and miles of Ocean and different coastlines along the way. I arrived at 7:30 reached the waypoint at 8:30 (keep in mind I ran the first mile) left the way point around 9:00 and way at my car by 10:30. Then preceded to go to a near by coffee shop in Pacific city to warm up :).

We didn't get to finish the trek to the top due to muddy conditions, but we still enjoyed the views of the beach. The trail was well maintained. We decided it was easy on the way down and maybe a bit more moderate on the way back up.

Loved this hike. It did get a bit mushy in the middle of the hike so I'm glad I wore my boots vs. my tennis shoes!

May 3, 2017
Windy! Stunning views of the Pacific Ocean with opportunities for whale watching. A great and worthwhile side hike if you are doing the Oregon Coast Trail. There is a short but steep trail northbound to Cape Lookout State park which has a great hiker/biker campground.

Excellent hike

This hike has the best views for the effort of the 3. If you are planning on doing multiple trails in this grouping don't leave out the South Trail and try to time it to be there at low tide.
If you do only one trail make it Cape Lookout.

An amazing trail with wonderful views!

it was an awesome day with the girls

Great trail, however there is still mud for about .5 miles in the middle, probably due to the natural springs. You will get muddy, no way around it! Views along trail are nice, and End is anti-climatic!

Solid and fun hike: not strenuous. As wet as I've ever seen the trail and some heavily rooted secretions that had changed markedly for the worse since I'd last hiked the trail in 2010. Still, a fun hike.

I first saw this cape 35 years ago and thought it would be a great hike, but wasn't able to get to it at the time. Now I finally have done it, and it was as good as expected, and then some.

It was clear and sunny going out, and a windy fog bank blew in as I was coming back, which hastened my departure some. There were soggy bits of trail on northern exposed areas, but they were passable without getting too muddy. The views are incredible in all directions, worth a hike.