Cape Lookout Trail

Cape Lookout Trail is a 4.7 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Tillamook, Oregon that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

beach

A beautiful peninsula into the Pacific Ocean with plenty of views There isn't much elevation change in this peninsula walk, just great views! You'll be hiking along cliffs 400 feet above the water below. If you are lucky and its not raining you'll be rewarded with amazing views.

Great trai

Trail was muddy and a bit crowded for a weekday but we enjoyed the hike and the views!

Beautiful views! Trekking poles are a definite help past the first lookout point where the trail is pretty muddy and you have to traverse significant sections of large roots. This section comprises a good third of the trail and is doable without poles if you take your time. I brought my poles but let my friend use them. Half the people we passed on the trail saw the poles and commented that they wish they had a pair. I know it’s the coast but this is not a trail to do in your sandals. With all of the trail disruption from roots, mud and rock I wouldn’t even recommend tennis shoes. You are best to have something with traction and ankle support if you are going the whole way. When I arrived the parking lot was empty. When I got back to my car it was full. Please be courteous and park head in. Several cars had parked along the curb and this took up two parking spaces. Additionally if you are bringing dogs or young children, use caution. As we were returning I came upon two young children standing at the edge of the cliff. Mom eventually came up behind them... but remember that the trail can be forest one minute and the next walking along a sheer drop off. I am a dog lover but please be responsible when bringing your dog. A leash is required and is a good start but the trail can get very narrow and busy. Please remember that in those tight spaces other hikers are forced to be in close proximity to your dog. It would be courteous to stand between your dog and other hikers. My daughter was attacked by a german shepherd and had a fear of dogs for a long time... todays hike would have been a terror for her because so many dogs that were leashed were still almost on top of us. Also just a few more points of helpful information. My favorite views were along the way. The end lookout is fabulous but if you are expecting to see both the beaches north and south of the peninsula you will be disappointed. Expect a sweeping view of the Pacific but limited to straight out and to the south. Also, we were only one of two groups when we arrived at the end. There is a small bench that can accommodate 3-4 people which is where we sat down to have our lunch. But as we left we passed so many that were inbound that I am sure the area at the end of the trail filled up fast.

We loved this trail! It was muddy, and very misty, it felt like we were in a magical world. I was just waiting for elves or Ewoks to come jumping out. The mist cleared at the end of the trail for some beautiful views. Also saw some seals along the cliffs.

Great hike overall. Arrive early on weekends in summer months since parking lot fills quickly early. Porta-potties, no running water. Moderate hike took me just under and hour to reach the top. You can hear the ocean for most of the hike. First third is wide, well-manicured easy trail that is mostly a decent. At about the one-mile marker, there is a nice view. If you're traveling with differently-abled people in your party or small children, you may want to consider this one mile marker enough. The second third of the trail was wet and muddy (in Aug.) and you have to traverse over huge tree roots. it's moderately treacherous. The last third was drier and and easy hike to the lookout. The lookout had a handful of people when I arrived at approximately 11 am. The views were great as expected.

Avid hikers--this is an easier trail. If you are not use to uneven terrain, it may be more difficult. Really enjoyed the views towards the top.

FYI- go to the restroom before you start hiking. the port-a-potties are gag-inducing.

An awesome place to go hiking it's one of our favorite places to go hiking. great view.

Nice hike, nice views. Wear decent shoes/boots because there are lots of tree roots and some muddy areas. Gets busy in the afternoon. There are some areas with steep drop off next to the trail. Be very careful if you bring children.

Beautiful views, and if you get there early enough to have the trail to yourself, you can enjoy the sound of the waves lapping at both sides of the cape. Moderate is a fair assessment - it's not overly strenuous, but there are a lot of roots and a stretch with lots of mud. There were definitely a fair number of people we passed that didn't look prepared for those portions. Also worth noting if you're taking along anyone who doesn't hike much - it finishes with a long (but gradual) uphill, so the toughest part comes after the visual reward.

Amazing views!

Amazing views almost the entire length of the hike. Crowded but worth it.

Definitely NOT an easy trail. The first kilometer makes you feel like it’s going to be easy, but then the trail narrows, you’re stepping through roots, and even clambering down irregular rock “steps”. I saw a couple people really struggling, and I wondered if they saw the Easy rating and expected a weekend stroll. There are also some crazy drops to the ocean, so keep your dog close. For those who make the trek, the views are amazing, but expect to be underwhelmed at the end lookout point. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a great view, just not any better than along the whole trail.

The first mile is gradually downhill that gets a little more than gradual. The next mile and some change has a lot of roots that you are stepping over. Before you get to the end there are nice places to sit, view the scenery and listen to nature. The end is very small and can become very crowded on the weekend. Great trail but I can see some people that do not have sure footing not liking all the tree roots. Kids will love it.

It rains almost every day here so expect it, I am told. No views when I went but still beautiful forest.

Great hike! Definitely moderate with the cliffs and tree roots to climb over. Also distance is longer than noted. Views are stunning!

Beautiful Hike, I Take My 9 Years Old Daughter She Love It.

Gorgeous!! Def do this on a clear day!!

A well travelled, easy trail with some of the most spectacular views in Oregon. Perfect for families. Ocean views as well as forest. Really enjoyed it. Best on a clear day.

Beautiful well kept trail with gorgeous views of the ocean. I agree with all other reviewers, should be rated as moderate.

Hike was moderate. Lots of roots to step and climb over. Beautiful views of the ocean. Overall great experience!

Beautiful trail but should be rated moderate.

This hike was gorgeous! But I would definitely rate it moderate and it’s a solid 3 miles each way as I tracked my hike. Being an active but out of shape mom with my 20 lb baby in a pack it took me 2 hours and 45 minutes to complete.

Beautiful views of the Pacific! Really enjoyed this hike. Was kind of a last minute though so it was a harder hike than I originally expected, now seeing several reviews rating it moderate makes me understand why. But the views of the ocean, beach, and cliffs are so worth it.

I would call this hike moderate because of the tree roots and the portions that were right along the cliff side (no guardrails!) We did not take our dog, even though they are allowed, because he doesn't do well with other dogs and we didn't want to have any encounters along the cliff portions. I'm glad we made this decision! Beautiful vista at the end. We watched for whales for about 20 minutes and did not spot any, although we spotted some right off the coast from the nearby Pelican Brewery in Pacific City after the hike.

Beautiful scenery. Encountered about 20 hikers on a Wednesday school day, so I’m sure it’s basically group-to-group busy on weekends. Because of tree roots at elevation changes I wouldn’t rate some sections as “easy” if any the hiker has mobility issues.

Great hike, fairly easy, some spots are full or roots creating a small challenge, but the final destination is worth it. Great spot for whale watching, we were able to see 4 or 5, as well as a couple seals, birds, and the like. *Careful with small children the trail goes along the edges of the cliffs.*

Great trail! Fairly easy, although I may rate it moderate due to all the tree roots on the ground that make the trail a bit harder to hike on. It is definitely uphill more on he way back, but the views are beautiful! Took my two dogs and they were challenged by it, I’d keep them on a leash because there’s cliff most of the way.

Beautiful today - overcast morning in the 50s. My idea of perfect hiking weather. A little mud, and lots and lots of roots, as others have mentioned. 3 other cars when I arrived at 0830, but at least 30 cars 3 hours later. The parking lot serves 3 trails, so not all were hiking out to the point.

This was a beautiful hike with nice incline and declines through out. The terrain is diverse with smooth walkways to stepping over tree branches and stumps. I will not call this an easy hike but moderate. The end of the hike is definitely worth it.