Cape Kiwanda State Natural Area

Cape Kiwanda State Natural Area is a 1 mile loop trail located near Cloverdale, Oregon and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.0 miles Elevation Gain: 193 feet Route Type: Loop

It’s a beach . Family friendly. Worth the visit

Nice trail with great views

Fun to explore but very busy. I stopped during a drive up the 101 after camping, and I wouldn't make a special trip to come here but it's worth seeing if you're already in the area. The rock formations are unique so I gave it 4 instead of 3 stars.

It is easier to go up along the side closest to the ocean and then keep climbing to the top of the dune. There are different views along that way also.

Always a fun little scramble... did it twice this weekend. a good workout with beautiful views! This evening it was VERY windy at the top, whipping the sand around like crazy, but yesterday closer to 11am it was amazing! We even spotted some whales from the top and ran across a few deer on the way up!

My happy place.

Fun little scramble up the dune. Always an amazing sight to see the sun set behind Chief Kiawanda rock.

Great views after a little scramble but not much of a hike. Steps from the beach that is normally packed with people.

This is a fun and short hike up a huge sand dune. Like others have said, it’s more of a scramble up but the views from the top are worth it. I really like the beach as it’s in the middle of Pacific City and you can park your car on the beach itself. Really a nice way to finish up the 3 Capes Loop.

Didn’t seem like an official trail. More like scrambling up a steep dune. Awesome views. Pelted by sand at the top.

So amazingly beautiful!! The trek up the dune is so worth it!! We had our dog with us, on leash. No problems. Our kids loved it too.

While there are other trails that give better costal views, this one is still fun. It doesn’t hurt that it’s basically in Pacific City and has a great view of its Haystack Rock. This trail is more of a scramble over the dunes than anything else. We went straight up the side, but there’s a less steep way if you go around the side closest to the ocean. We didn’t find this route until we were headed down.

Sun Dec 23 2018

Beautiful, but not really a hike, more a scramble around on the dunes

Mon Dec 10 2018

I thought this might be easy because it was so short, and it was, but dang that’s some steep sand in places. I threw my shoes in the back of the truck on the way back because they were so muddy with sand. That being said, do not come to Pacific City and skip this hike. It gorgeous! I hiked on a very cold and rainy day, so the trail was mine alone. Watching the sun go down over haystack rock was a gratifying experience. This is so much more than a beach walk/hike.

Fri Nov 23 2018

So enjoyable! The view is amazing and we even saw whales!

Mon Oct 22 2018

Great views- good hike for kids to burn tons of energy! watch out for cliffs and stay close to kids.

Tue Jul 24 2018

Great views! Saw whales! Just head toward the big sand hill to the north and then go up left side of it to get to a viewpoint.

Sun Jul 22 2018

So directions lead me to the beach and not the trail. I would have given it more stars if I actually found the trail. I did however enjoy the beach/coast view.

Thu Jul 19 2018

Loved the beach and the wonder pub and grill right next to it

Thu May 31 2018

Great views! Fun hike up the dunes.

Sun May 06 2018

Always a fun place to hike and explore. Gets really dicey out on the cape, but you need to be safe out there because the rock is all sandstone and is quite slick, and the cliffs are no joke, so be careful.

Thu Apr 26 2018

Beautiful views!!!!

Wed Mar 28 2018

Short but challenging hike up the dunes. Many people went past the safety fences for a better view of Haystack rock and the Punchbowl, which is prohibited. There's still plenty to see if you stay behind the fences. Visited at low tide and saw many starfish, anemones, and barnacles. Crowded on a warm/sunny spring day. Parked on the beach and it took almost 30 mins. to get out because two cars got stuck in the sand. Recommend a 4x4.

Fri Dec 22 2017

Unique location with the sandy beaches and sandstone formations.

Wed Oct 18 2017

May 2, 2017 One of the most impressive sandstone formations along the Oregon coast. Many people fall to their deaths from the area beyond the fences. Still, with caution I was able make my way out to the point and down to the water in the breach. Spectacular at high tide with great views south to Cascade Head and north to Cape Lookout. Whales playing and feeding to the north. Finding oneself in Pacific City requires an obligatory pit atop at the Pelican Brewpub. Black rabbits are rampant in the area

Sat Sep 02 2017

This route is not what I would recommend. I recommend heading north of Pacific City on Kiwanda Rd until you reach a road on the left just past the crosswalk for the campsites. This road will pass a parking lot and put you right on the beach. Here, you can drive on the beach (across several streams) down to the cape. The hike up the sand dune on this side is better as well. COME AT LOW TIDE to explore hidden caves, starfish on the rocks, and lots of miles beach that is normally under 5 feet of water. You can also hop over the "Danger" signs and explore the dangerous areas beyond. Just beautiful.

Thu Jun 29 2017

It's a workout, but definitely worth it to climb up the dunes and explore a bit up top. This is my favorite view in all of Oregon, with the sandstone and haystack out in the distance, and beach as far as the eye can see. The brewery at the trailhead is a nice touch, too.