Learn more

Cape Kiwanda State Natural Area

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(105)
Cape Kiwanda State Natural Area

Cape Kiwanda State Natural Area is a 1 mile loop trail located near Cloverdale, Oregon and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.0 miles Elevation Gain: 187 feet Route Type: Loop

If you travel South on Oregon Coast, you must stop. Quick run/hike, amazing view and good brewery very close.

If you love Oregon beaches you have to experience Cape Kiwanda. This is a fun park to walk around, climb sand dunes, and get an unforgettable view of the ocean!

Did this hike June 16th-18th during my stay there. One of my most favorite hike on Oregon coast!!

Area is not closed. Beach was flooded with people. Forecast said it would be cloudy but it was actually a beautiful day . Awesome hike with stunning views, even got a glimpse of a whale! Climbing up the sand is a bit hard but climbing up the rock can be tricky. Feels like clay when stepping on the rocks so be careful when climbing up the rock portions.

Awesome little hike around the dunes at Cape Kiwanda. I had this trail to myself during a down pour. Loved every minute of it. Beautiful views of the ocean and Pacific City. End your hike with a beer at Pelican Brewery.

Beautiful, incredibly scenic hike. The hike is mostly an ascent up on Cape Kiwanda and a large sand dune that is near the cape, so it on sand and fairly steep at times. At each turn, you see great views of the cape and surrounding area. Once you reach the top, it has one of the top few views on entire Oregon Coast. You can see wide open beaches your miles and Cape Lookout.l to the north. A stunning hike I highly recommend.

Moderate hike with a scenic view. Definitely a must see if you’re passing by PC.

It’s a beach . Family friendly. Worth the visit

Nice trail with great views

Fun to explore but very busy. I stopped during a drive up the 101 after camping, and I wouldn't make a special trip to come here but it's worth seeing if you're already in the area. The rock formations are unique so I gave it 4 instead of 3 stars.

It is easier to go up along the side closest to the ocean and then keep climbing to the top of the dune. There are different views along that way also.

Mon Jun 10 2019

Always a fun little scramble... did it twice this weekend. a good workout with beautiful views! This evening it was VERY windy at the top, whipping the sand around like crazy, but yesterday closer to 11am it was amazing! We even spotted some whales from the top and ran across a few deer on the way up!

Sun Jun 09 2019

My happy place.

Tue Apr 23 2019

Fun little scramble up the dune. Always an amazing sight to see the sun set behind Chief Kiawanda rock.

Sun Mar 24 2019

Great views after a little scramble but not much of a hike. Steps from the beach that is normally packed with people.

Wed Mar 06 2019

This is a fun and short hike up a huge sand dune. Like others have said, it’s more of a scramble up but the views from the top are worth it. I really like the beach as it’s in the middle of Pacific City and you can park your car on the beach itself. Really a nice way to finish up the 3 Capes Loop.

Sun Mar 03 2019

Didn’t seem like an official trail. More like scrambling up a steep dune. Awesome views. Pelted by sand at the top.

Thu Feb 21 2019

So amazingly beautiful!! The trek up the dune is so worth it!! We had our dog with us, on leash. No problems. Our kids loved it too.

Tue Jan 29 2019

While there are other trails that give better costal views, this one is still fun. It doesn’t hurt that it’s basically in Pacific City and has a great view of its Haystack Rock. This trail is more of a scramble over the dunes than anything else. We went straight up the side, but there’s a less steep way if you go around the side closest to the ocean. We didn’t find this route until we were headed down.

Sun Dec 23 2018

Beautiful, but not really a hike, more a scramble around on the dunes

Mon Dec 10 2018

I thought this might be easy because it was so short, and it was, but dang that’s some steep sand in places. I threw my shoes in the back of the truck on the way back because they were so muddy with sand. That being said, do not come to Pacific City and skip this hike. It gorgeous! I hiked on a very cold and rainy day, so the trail was mine alone. Watching the sun go down over haystack rock was a gratifying experience. This is so much more than a beach walk/hike.

Fri Nov 23 2018

So enjoyable! The view is amazing and we even saw whales!

Mon Oct 22 2018

Great views- good hike for kids to burn tons of energy! watch out for cliffs and stay close to kids.

Tue Jul 24 2018

Great views! Saw whales! Just head toward the big sand hill to the north and then go up left side of it to get to a viewpoint.