Cape Falcon Trail

Cape Falcon Trail is a 4.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Nehalem, Oregon that offers the chance to see wildlife and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

beach

A little muddy. Great views.

When I arrived at the trailhead all the parking lots were full. Had to park along the highway as many others had done. However, most of the people went to the beach as the Cape Falcon trail didn't have that many people on it. The trail was muddy in a few places but otherwise in good shape. As others have mentioned there are a lot of tree roots, but other than that it is an easy hike with outstanding views.

Excellent trail with beautiful views! Beginner hiking family did it with ease. Yes a little muddy wear hiking boots or tennis shoes but overall a worthwhile hike.

No mud on trail on 6/1/18. Beautiful trail but you definitely need to look down while hiking because of all of the tree roots so you don’t trip. You get views of the ocean all throughout the hike and when you reach the top you get an even better view while surrounded by water on both sides. The trail gets narrow towards the top but only because of the foliage on each side, I was happy to be wearing a long sleeve shirt and pants. Hike was easy due to no mud on trail (however, rain may be in the forecast so always check weather trends before you go!), we even opted to walk towards smugglers cove (towards the memorial) which was a beautiful treat as well to see some folks surfing.

Incredible views of the Cape. The trail is a bit overgrown and muddy. Eagles abound along the trail. Rugged and slow going, give yourself extra time if hiking from Arch Cape. I did not hit my mileage goals on the day I passed through on my recent OCT hike but it is so beautiful here I could hardly complain!

The hike is very beautiful, but when we went, there was a lot of mud in the trail, which made it difficult for the kiddos. Be prepared with good boots! The view at the top was well worth it!

Great hike! I took to the trail an hour before sunset. Had to boogie to get to the top—not a lot of time to speak to the snails, marvel at the enormous trees, and take too many photos of the babbling water areas. The view was spectacular, though I do wonder if I should have made a different turn that would have taken me out on a grassy point樂. Oh well.. next time. I didn’t see a soul going up, or a soul coming down. The trek down took me a bit longer because it was Sooooo Very DARK! I came prepared with a headlamp and flashlight. The trail is easy to follow with no peripheral vision due to the darkness, but the tree roots can be treacherous. Take it easy. I occasionally thought of the random Monster that could be lurking in the quiet, but chose not to dwell on that thought, instead listening to the hoot of an owl, and myself... muttering a Hail Mary in the hopes that my 50 year old knees wouldn’t buckle with fright! Very fun. The sunset was worth the tricky trek down.
Kids in decent physical shape would have no problem. Most adults would have no problem. It’s not particularly “aerobic,” you just have to know where to put you foot so you aren’t caught up on a tree root. There was a little mud, but nothing to speak of. I would not go in the rainy season unless you are prepared for mud. Might be too narrow for folks that use those hiking poles.

lots of mud and roots.

Muddy muddy trails not moderate not for beginners

Nice trail lots of roots. Not very good drainage, lots of mud pits once you are far enough out on the headland there are nice views but not all that unique and really not as great as views from cape lookout or mears

Didn't have enough time to hike the entire trail so we just did the first part down to the beach. Anyone who does this trail should stop there: it's gorgeous. At the far side of the beach there's a nice waterfall and some tidepools. Go early though cause it was already pretty busy at 11AM. Popular spot for surfers too.

Nice hike

I think it belongs somewhere between easy and moderate. Decent elevation gain so does require some exertion. Muddy right now but not too bad. Pleasant to be covered by trees 90% if the trail so not too hot. Amazing view.

Fun hike! Still very (very) muddy, but worth it for the view! Definitely recommend going early in the day because it does get quite busy.

A gorgeous springtime muddy hike. Ankle deep in mud in some places, but the view was worth it!!

Incredible! Very muddy, and busy.

I'd rate this moderate rather than easy. Not long, but the footing gets complicated between LOTS of mud, slippery rocks and tree roots everywhere. Not bad for my husband and I, but I look at 'Easy' with aging parents and small children in mind. They would have struggled.

Pretty muddy...But an easy in and out hike with beautiful views.

Muddy, yes, but well worth it.

Amazing!! We did it in Feb in the rain and it was perfect! So beautiful!

The muddy terrain is definitely worth the great views at the end! Lots of elevation changes, so it felt like more than the 723 ft elevation change. Shaded most of the way. Wear appropriate footwear, and bring extra shoes and socks.

Awesome hike except for the mud. Great for dogs. Not a bad winter hike if you don't mind the mud. You can end at short sands beach.

Insanely muddy. My sneakers will never be the same.

The views and the forest trail next to a creek and small waterfalls earns this trail 5 stars. Muddy as all hell though. Everyone is right. The views are to die for. You can see surfers out from the trail.

Awesome hike, but definitely muddy. Completed 12/31/17 and there were extremely muddy spots almost the whole way. This doesn’t take away from the gorgeous view at the end, though, which was so worth it. I would rate it more on the moderate side rather than easy, especially with all the mud and tree roots, but still a great hike!

There are several paths throughout the bushes that take you to a look out spot over a hidden cove. I don't know what this cove is called other than I happened upon it by chance. There was a bird watching group there that had telescopes set up for anyone to use if they wished. This has excellent views of the coast and beaches. It goes up along a high cliff. I had to back track a little once when I couldn't skirt the cliff the whole way.

Pretty easy trail though there were plenty of slippery, muddy spots. We had a baby with us so we didn’t go all the way to cape falcon but instead turned left and headed to the beach which was a beautiful & short 1 mile hike.

awesome trail with beautiful views and beach access.

Nice easy hike with a few nice vistas. A little muddy in parts. Not many people this time of year.