Cape Falcon Trail

Cape Falcon Trail is a 4.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Nehalem, Oregon that offers the chance to see wildlife and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Pretty easy trail though there were plenty of slippery, muddy spots. We had a baby with us so we didn’t go all the way to cape falcon but instead turned left and headed to the beach which was a beautiful & short 1 mile hike.

awesome trail with beautiful views and beach access.

Nice easy hike with a few nice vistas. A little muddy in parts. Not many people this time of year.

Beautiful hike this morning. It was very muddy, though, which made it more of a moderate hike; I would not say 'easy'. Lots of peeks out to the ocean. Families with young children- be careful!! There are a few tricky areas with drop offs and it's slippery!!!!

Hike is pretty level most the way with muddy, slippery & trippy spots here and there. The older growth forest was lovely and viewpoints were spectacular.

Wear good shoes. when the weather is wet it's really slippery, lots of clay that just turns to mud.

This was a great through the woods hike with about 4 to 5 points of Ocean views. Great trees and an enjoyable forest setting. The finale is amazing. Right to the edge of a cliff. For us it was rainy and windy but perfect hiking conditions on the edge of a rainstorm. Not crowded on a rainy Sunday in September. Hike: September 17, 2017 start at about 10:30am.

I love this hike! I would agree with other users that it shouldn't be labeled "easy" because there are some challenging spots and the drop offs do make it more dangerous for dogs, kids and elderly hikers. I did run in to several groups so sometimes this trail can be crowded. Worth the views at the top though!

I loved the texture of the trail. The roots over the trail offered a small challenge while I was able to keep a steady pace. I enjoyed a snack with other hikers at the top. I'd definitely go again!

Perfect hike for a few hours but I'm not sure about "easy." It was moderate for our creaky knees and the drop offs would make me nervous if I had small children.

This hike is amazing to get a great view of the Cape Falcon cove. Can be VERY muddy in the spring...or if it rained recently. Great trail. There is a side trail when you get close to the end point that leads to a secret side cove which I recommend.
Love this trail on the coast!

Great hike with spectacular views at Point. Saw whale close to Point.

This was NOT easy!
There are tons of roots all over the ground causing you to trip, or watch your feet the entire time.
Really a bummer too because you're missing beautiful scenery because you're too busy damn near falling off cliffs if you're not careful.
I wouldn't bring small children on this hike unless you know 100% they won't let go of you. If they're known for running away from you DO NOT BRING THEM as they can trip on the roots and fly off the cliff.
I was eaten alive by mosquitoes I have about 60 bites all over my body.
I was fully clothed and had spray on me to protect my body. There are some VERY slippery parts of the trail and In fact I actually watched several people fall over and over and over while we waited for them to pass. I'm shocked that this is listed as easy. This is 100% not even close to being easy.
The outlook was "ok" there are for sure better places to hike then this trail. Super bummed on this one.

My dad and I have started doing this trail every year as a tribute to Danny Blumenthal who was killed on this trail in 1999 and his partner Jack Kerwin, who was also shot, but survived. There are creeks named after the two men and the waterfall that goes down to short sand beach is named "Blumenthal Falls," however; unfortunately there is nothing that explains this at the trailhead or on this site.

Based on distance/elevation this is "Easy", but with the extremely uneven surface on large parts of the trail it requires quite a bit of concentration. About 50% of the trail surface consists of tangles of large roots that have been exposed by erosion over the years. The roots are between 6" and 12" above the "ground" level, and in some areas the mass completely covers the trail. Sturdy hiking boots are highly recommended unless you want to risk a sprained ankle; poles recommended. I rated this only 3 stars because the constant need to watch the ground interfered with my enjoyment.

We did this trail today, a Saturday, so quite a few other hikers on the trail. It is a pretty easy trail with no difficult hill climbs. However, the roots all over the trail require you pay attention to your step. From the trail-head after maybe a tenth mile you will come to a fork with a sign that says Beach left/south Cape Falcon right/west. There is an overlook just a bit to the left of the sign and on this day there was a remarkable number of folks on the beach and surfing. So back to the hike. Out to the point of Cape Falcon seemed like about 2.5 miles as stated. Just before you get to the Falcon lookout point there is a fork. Go left to Cape Falcon and quickly you will find several very nice vantage points.. However, at that fork if you go right/nw you go to the north face of the ridge-line. We did this leg as well. This trail will, after a couple hundred yards, give you a nice view of the cove north of Cape Falcon. We followed it back up the drainage and crossed a small creek. Switched back west and inclined a little bit. We came out at a couple wonderful views from the north looking back south towards Cape Falcon. We passed a perfect tent site. Good open and level spot for 1 maybe 2 tents. Continuing we decided to turn back on a high point where a tree had fallen across the trail and it appeared the trail would follow NE on the north side of the ridge. I've since learned that trail probably would continue on to the community just north. That aside, this excursion Probably added nearly a mile to the original Cape Falcon mileage of nearly 5m total out and back. So about a 6 mile day.

Good trail to run, awesome views and a good challenge in terms of elevation changes. Only knock is that much of the trail has tree roots sprawling around everywhere that make it hard to keep a good pace. Be careful, alert, and prepared to pick you way through!

was a good easy hike enjoyed the views

No steep climbs, beautiful views at a few spots, not a ton of traffic on a summer weekend. I'm giving this trail 4 stars, rather than 5, because the exposed roots throughout the trail were tough in my feet.