Canyon Creek Meadows Loop

Canyon Creek Meadows Loop is a 7.4 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Camp Sherman, Oregon that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 7.4 miles Elevation Gain: 1,617 feet Route Type: Loop

Beautiful flower meadows and a hike up the East side of Three Fingered Jack. This very popular loop route takes you on a tour of a high alpine meadow, with bubbling Canyon Creek flowing through it. In addition, you'll enjoy spectacular views of the jagged spires of Three Fingered Jack, the eroded core of an extinct 100,000-year-old volcano. This is a really beautiful hike with so many points of interest. From wildflower meadows, to the grassy hill up to Three Fingered Jack, to the glacial pool, to the saddle with views of the Sisters, Washington, Jefferson and of course Three Fingered Jack right next to you. Many of the trees along the route were burned in 2003 during the B&B Complex Fires. Thankfully Canyon Creek Meadows itself was spared and still very beautiful.

fee
icy

I did this hike last month in the beginning of October. It was absolutely beautiful and sunny out. Today however (11-19-19) was very wet. There were patches of about a half inch of snow which was lovely to see. It was very peaceful. I did not complete the hike due to my jacket getting drenched. Thought it was waterproof but apparently not!

11-9-19 made it to cirque lake no problem. Some areas of snow pack (especially near upper meadow) but not enough to take out the micro spikes. Google maps took us the right way on NF1234. Road is is decent condition.

Great warm day for a hike. The dark brown soil is soft on the feet. Views of Three Fingered Jack, Jefferson, and Black Butte on the trail, peekaboos of Washington and Sisters. Couldn’t do hike to Cirque due to ice pack, need micro spikes. Trail to Wasco Lake had >25 fallen trees on path and very muddy. We’ll be back in the summer!

I didn’t do the whole hike (with the bit where there is more of a view and maybe a meadow) and regretted it ☺️

Awesome.

Little bit of mud off and on throughout hike. Occasional snow patches, but nothing more than 2 inches deep, and sparse. Nice stretch through missy old growth. Hiked up to saddle, which offers great views of the Sisters, Broken Top, Washington, Jefferson, Bachelor, and black butte. Pretty spectacular. Rocky and snowy trek up to the saddle, which definitely benefits from yak traks or some sort of traction device, but not necessary. Overall great hike.

Went just a few days ago! It was pretty snowy, and there was only one other person on the trail the entire day. It was just a stunning hike! We thought it was a little easier than moderate :) we followed Matthew Pugh‘a driving directions (scroll down) and he really saved the day! Don’t go by the google maps or all trails instructions unless you don’t mind your car getting a little scratched up.

Gorgeous. We went on a Friday at 430 for sunset-ish hike and we saw only 2 other hikers. We did see about 3 tents for backpacking. There was a goat near Cirque Lake, which PS was the ugliest brown color from the rain and sediment. I love this loop. We were able to watch 3 deer in the lower meadows for 15 minutes. They got within 10-15' of us and they were there on the way back too.

Overall great trail! Pretty busy trailhead and hike. Backpacked in a camped in the upper meadow (counted 7 other tents there too). Missed the main turn off for the trailhead by trying to follow others specific directions. There is literally a sign that tells you where to turn. Saw lots of mountain goats! Overall great hike. Medium length. Jack lake is literally a hop, skip and jump from parking lot.

Visited 9/9/19 hiked in from; Jack lake is a Pretty little lake, I'm not sure if it has fish in it, but there is at least 4 camping sites on the road and 2 (walk in on the lake shore) that I saw for camping or day use that are primitive and free. 2 or 3 off the road camp sites have picnic tables. Camping is free I believe, but you do have to pay for a day use parking pass (can be paid at jack lake kiosk), have a northwest forest pass or an America the beautiful pass displayed in your vehicle. Large parking area, enough space for trailers to turn around. 1 clean smelling vaulted toilet stocked with tp and 1 handicap parking spot. (You also have to fill out a walk-up permit near parking area for your group) I visited 9/9/19 to hike canyon creek meadows loop, along with the glacier lake at the base of three fingered jack. Beautiful area and I will most definitely be back (weather was stormy for me, rain and drizzle with little to no views of T.F.J. I wouldn't recommend the trail I did to young children as it is pretty steep and dangerous, but the maintained trails looked pretty safe for young children, especially glacier canyon trail with nice creek views. I saw two backcountry camp spots (one more easily reached than the other off the unmaintained trail and fairly big. Will definitely be back here again to hike other trails in the area. Packed out two gallon size amount ziplock bags of other peoples trash left on the trail and in camp spots, including a glass container I cut my hand on grabbing. Please practice leave no trace, so others can enjoy the trails and the area like you did. 4 other cars in the parking area when I arrived at 4am and didn't see anyone on trail till I was heading out of canyon creek meadows trail at around 10am, saw 9 people on trail and in parking area and 2 dogs. 6 more cars in the lot when I got back to my car at 11am. Took jack lake trail (well maintained) to glacier canyon trail (not as well maintained as canyon creek. Lots of blow downs, muddy, rocky, rooted, lots of meadows and more burn area I think. Love that it runs along the creek. A pretty small waterfall. Mostly flat trail with some gradual uphill. Beautiful milky white water and vegetation and shrooms.) To unmaintained portion of trail to cirque lake I believe it's called (pretty steep most of the way to the lake. A couple of big campsites within view of the side of T.F.J. maybe 2 miles from the lake and above the canyon of the creek with small trails that go down to the water. Water is milky white here. One othe campsites is a find your way halfway down a steepish canyon, but closer to the water.) Trails up to the lake was I would think less slick in wet weather, fairly steep canyon. There is a trail to the right more sketch and steep than the trail to the right. I found going up on the left trail that going up the dry creek/boulder area was easier halfway up than traversing the rest of the way on that trail. The lake is a murky tan color this time of year not sure why that is, but still beautiful and glacier fed. The viewpoint I stopped at was on a ridge. Found a small rock to take a break on and check out the solo mountain goat on the ledge across from me as well as the lake. Had the lake to myself at 7:40am on a Monday. Only teaser views of T.F.J. for me as it was pretty socked in and wet on Monday. Took Canyon creek meadows trail on the way out. More of an uphill/downhill on this trail. With more unscathed forrest. The road to the lake; I read previous reviews on alltrails app, if you follow directions on Google maps you should have not many problems making it up in a smaller car just take it slow, watch for large rocks in road, small dips and a lot of washboard in spots. Before one laned bridge on the rugged pavement there is some damage so be aware. 6 miles to lake from one laned bridge on mostly non paved roads. Not the worst roads I have been on though. Saw 3 deer and a mountain goat. 7 miles with 2172 elevation gain in 6hrs 15mins

spoiler alert: Cirque Lake was yellowish-puke not Turquoise. what???? other than that surprise, lovely hike with gorgeous views.

This is a great hike! Like others have mentioned, it is a relatively more popular trail. It's a good one though - beautiful surroundings, peaceful, nice variation in terrain, and the views are gorgeous. (Clear skies and warm weather were an added bonus today.) We were lucky enough to see a couple of goats up on the mountain, but it took some listening and a bit of patience to spot them. Pretty cool. I'd suggest reading other folks' reviews to get good tips on getting to the trailhead. We didn't have trouble with the road, but sounds like we might have if we'd taken a different route.

This hike was absolutely incredible!! It’s so mild, with lots of shade and very little elevation gain over the 7 miles. Totally worth it and I’d recommend it to anyone who wants to get close to a volcanic peak without a slog of a hike. Regarding the road: Okay so we made the same mistake that two people below did. We listened to google. Thankfully we have a sturdy truck and were able to get through this narrow, manzanita crowded road without car damage. As they say, it’s super rocky and the branches will tear at your car. But you don’t have to do this to yourself! We found the proper route coming down. Here’s what to do instead: basically, you can follow google until you cross a one lane bridge, and when google tells you to take a left towards Jack Creek Campground, DO NOT go that way. Don’t go right either. Instead go straight up on NF-1234. If you follow this up, you’ll end up at the trailhead and it’s a smoothish ride. Mostly a gravel road but trust us, it’s 100x better than the other one. NF1234 will briefly turn into another road (Jack Creek?) but that’s fine. Just follow it uphill and don’t turn off of it onto any smaller forest roads. Either way you go, once you get to the parking lot there’s a toilet in case you almost peed your pants trying not to scratch your car paint on the sketchy road :D enjoy!!!

***DO NOT USE ALL TRAILS LOCATION*** The road conditions to this location were awful. Full of branches, deep holes, sharp rocks and logs that offered little room to pass through. The branches will absolutely scrape up your car and are unavoidable. We had to turn around and go back to the main road because the path to the trail was so bad.

READ ALL THE REVIEWS... I went yesterday and had the same experience as Caity McCarthy. DO NOT follow this map unless you don't care about the scratches on your vehicle.The road was doable with regards to the sharp rocks and pot holes, but it was slow going. I heard this hike was killer with spectacular views, but it wasn't worth it for me. Peace!