Calloway Intensive Loop Trail [CLOSED]

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(143)
McDonald-Dunn Forest

Calloway Intensive Loop Trail is a 5.1 kilometer heavily trafficked loop trail located near Corvallis, Oregon that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 5.1 km Elevation Gain: 116 m Route Type: Loop

closed

This trail is experiencing full or partial closure due to COVID-19. Please see the open trails nearby for alternate hiking options. Hike through interpretive signs, old & new growth forests, good for everyone From the parking lot stay on the gravel road past the gate and follow past the OSU Foresty Club cabin to Cronemiller Lake, look for the marked tailhead on your right where you pick up the single track trail. At 0.23 miles on this trail, stay left and follow down and cross the 540 road. The trail continues another .66 miles and then cross back over the 540 road nead the Adair Gate (hint, cross Hwy 99 W at the gate is nice coffee shop for a mid-way stopping point). Cross over 540 and hike for another mile till you meet up with the Intensive Management trail. Stay on this trail (stay left at any trail junctions) till you come to the road, and follow back to your car.

This trail is nice and easy hike, one of our favorites. We do it with a 3 year old and 7 year old. It’s in great condition and if you look closely you’ll find Salamanders up at the lake.

Awesome hike through one of Oregon’s forests. This is a great trail in the network of trails up here. I would rate it easy though, rather than moderate. The trail is well maintained (one of the best I’ve seen, actually) and kids can definitely hike without having to worry about scary drop offs or ledges. I could have brought a jogging stroller . The only issue I can see is mud, and hiking after an Oregon rain. So avoid that and you’re good to go. We saw huge slugs, small black squirrels, a huge uprooted tree where you can study the roots, a pretty little lake (saw blue gill and salamanders swimming around), several small creeks and bridges, and wildflowers. Overall, a fantastic place to stroll through one of Oregon’s great forests and while away an afternoon.

Trail was maintained nicely, a few muddy spots, moderately trafficked and dog friendly.

Great trail. Signage was not amazing. I did get a little lost. I found my way based off knowing I was doing a loop. Cronemiller Lake (pond) is a cool place. Great place for a quick shaded hike in the woods.

Well maintained. Often busy. Easy to access. Lots of options for adding or shortening distance of the hike. Also good for just starting out mountain biking.

Always a great hike for myself and the dogs.

Thu May 23 2019

This is a very easy and beautiful hike. Lots of wildflowers! It's also very dog friendly. I sometimes connect it to the section 36 loop for a longer and more moderate level hike.

Thu Apr 18 2019

beautiful! not too hard

Thu Apr 04 2019

Great dog-friendly hike. Mostly shaded so does get a bit chilly on warmer days. The path is very clean and carved out. You do not start right away on the Calloway loop, but instead the Intensive Trail path leads you to the start. There is a short cut that does cut half the loop off. I would recommend picking up a map at the start to help navigate.

Fri Mar 22 2019

An awesome, moderate hike. The trail is in such good shape that it looks manicured! Dog friendly.

Tue Mar 12 2019

My husband and I hiked this loop with our two-year-old son and our five-year-old son. It was a nice series of hills and views, with a nice lake at the top. Trails were very well-maintained. There was a cool, old tree with a creek running around it at the beginning that we all enjoyed exploring. The parking lot was really small, and I didn’t love parking in the side of the highway, but it was nice that the trails weren’t crowded on a beautiful day in March. There was snow at the top and a bit windy, but we loved it all. Very dog-friendly!

Wed Mar 06 2019

32 degrees, freezing rain and snow. good hike

Wed Feb 13 2019

One of my favorites for quick hike. Today entered trail off road 540 backtracked back to 540 from lake and ran into what I REALLY Hope was dog track but pretty sure not!!! Pay attention to warnings posted on boards for Cougars didn’t see anything but definitely gave me pause. Despite that was misty and beautiful quiet hike

Sat Feb 09 2019

very relaxed moderate hike.

Tue Feb 05 2019

Great loop. A good little hike. It was a brisk spring day and the trail is well kept.

Fri Aug 10 2018

Great loop trail. Shaded the whole way and there are a lot of other trails that branch off of it. Dogs allowed and wasn’t very crowded (5pm on weekday). Great way to escape heat In summer. Highly recommend.

Thu Aug 09 2018

Great trail and stroller friendly

Mon Jul 30 2018

great trail for dogs! good afternoon romp for my pup and me. pretty mellow trail. good shade. will be doing this again.

Thu May 31 2018

Did this hike a couple of weeks ago. It is a nice afternoon activity. It was moderately busy. Dogs are allowed off leash. My fur baby loves the water!

Wed Oct 11 2017

nice afternoon hike.

Sun Aug 13 2017

Loved it!!!

Sun Jul 30 2017

It's a pretty trail in the arboretum, that is away from the roads, so that's nice.

Sun Jun 04 2017

Pretty nice loop.

Thu Feb 23 2017

Even after the rains, the trails are pleasant

Tue Jan 10 2017

Nice short hiking trails. Small lake, ferns, and adventure.

Mon Oct 17 2016

this was a pretty easy hike, my baby and I did it on a rainy day I was pushing a jogging stroller and carrying her most of the way.

Mon Apr 18 2016

I hiked the loop this evening. The trail was open. The logging seems to be done. What a great 3 mile running loop.

Fri Apr 08 2016

We didn't get to finish the hike, as part of the trail is blocked off so that they can cut down some trees. This was on 4/7/2016. I don't know how long it will be closed off for.

Sat Oct 03 2015

Easy, pretty hikes in this area. Nice for during the week, close to town and lots of options for shorter and long-ish hikes. Crowded

Sun Jan 04 2015

Pretty, scenic Oregon forest trail. The trail markings aren't the clearest I've seen, but it's not that hard to get your bearings. Wish other dog owners would clean up after their pets, though. Poor form.