Burnt Lake Trail

Burnt Lake Trail is a 7.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Rhododendron, Oregon that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is best used from June until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

1925 feet

Possible to take trail to Lost Creek Falls, 2.5 miles from trailhead for 5 miles round trip.

Went on this trail in September. The weather was perfect for swimming in the lake. The trail was much shorter than we anticipated. The hike felt more moderate than strenuous. It’s Maybe 2-3 miles to the camp sites. But there is a trail you can follow that keeps going for awhile. The view of hood is gorgeous! Dogs allowed which I loved. No campfires so bring a jet boil/mini stove.

A bit snowy but beautiful run! I clocked 8.2 miles but ran around the lake. Well worth it! In just a few weeks I bet the fall colors will be in full swing!

More like a moderate hike, in my opinion. More like 7 miles RT and about 1400-1600 ft elevation. It was a bit chilly at night, but conditions were otherwise great.

For a nice hike during the day, or a quick backpack trip (like we did), Burnt Lake is scenic, mystical and very very pretty. I was blown away by the teal colored moss that covers the trees on the way up, and by the serenity of the lake.

All around gorgeous and diverse trail.

One of my favorites - the road to the trailhead was in better condition than I've seen in the past. Views are unbelievable, but really buggy this year.

Loved it. Don't forget to get a pass for parking just to be on the safe side. Lots of places on the way up for my dog to take a drink and a dip. Once we got to the lake the water was superb. Would do it again!

Parking lot full Friday around noon, had to park down the road. Trail in good condition; just a few muddy spots and creek crossings, no biggie. First couple miles or so the grade is spread out and easy. Listen for a waterfall - a short side trail to the left leads down to it, nice place for a break. Last mile up is a little steeper. The description above is incorrect, it's more like 7 miles RT to and from the lake, and ~1500 feet gain.

The lake is great - more scenic than Mirror Lake imo and a little less crowded (still, it's a lot of ppl packed in a relatively small area). There's a rough & tumble access trail around the lake; kinda overgrown and not much to see. For great views of the water with Mt Hood in the background, you'll have to tromp through one of the probably-occupied campgrounds (or take a dip) on the far/west side of the lake. If you snag one of these good spots it's a 5-star destination; come early and/or on a weekday if possible.

If you continue up the trail to the top it's a 5-star view for sure, up on Zig Zag Mtn. That'll make it 2200+ ft gain & around 10 miles RT all together. More than worth it.

Nice hike deep woods, once arrive: views not top, lake so so
Will not go again,

Overnight with a few friends and some fishing. Cute lake and great views. Just a little busy this time of year.

Nice hike with variety and excellent views of Mt.Hood just when you think you got to the top go a little further until you get to the true top of Zig Zag Mt. wild flowers and a large rocks at the top.

Moderately difficult, well maintained trail. It had some challenging terrain because of snow the last .75 miles. The trail around the lake is hard to find because of snow. Great view of Mount Hood at the lake!

Such a nice trail run! Not overly technical at all, great cruiser!

Snowy at the top1/2 mile on 5/24 so that's expected, but managed to reach the lake. Very pretty.

Hard but worth it!

Sunday, September 18, 2016

The access road to the trail head was in a better condition than in 2015.

Monday, July 25, 2016

Beautiful scenery through forest, streams, lake, and mountain ridges.

Easy hike to the lake. Moderate up to Zigzag Ridge. More strenuous thereafter.

Definitely worth going 0.5 or so west along Zigzag Mountain trail to get fantastic views of Mt Hood over the lake.

Decent camping around the lake though the trail can be quite a bushwhack.

Monday, June 27, 2016

My husband and I spent the night of June 25th up at Burnt Lake. This was our first night camping while backpacking. We didn't realize the incline and how far up the trail was going to take us. Some breaks trekking up farther and farther but the stops did give us some spectacular views of the forest and Mt. Hood! Once we made it up to the lake, yay, we had to quickly find a place to pitch the tent. The camp ground is fairly small and getting up towards twilight we had to go off the trail. Luckily we found a nice natural flat area and set up. The stars were amazing and the sound of the frogs chirping away all night was a treat to fall asleep to. There are some great view points of the lake and Mt.Hood at campsite D :)
The hike down was nice and easy and always friendly hikers on the way down.
We are proud we made it and so happy that we did!

Monday, June 20, 2016

Mid-June hike on what I would consider easy to moderate trail dotted with little challenges here and there. My purpose was an overnighter at Burnt lake and I was packing a 20 pound load. It rained the first day consistently which always presents trials but I did note that I did NOT need to bring 3 liters of water as there were plenty of small flowing water streams to filter from. Bring water-proof shoes if you are going in the rain as I must have walked through a couple of water flows that don't seem like they would be on the trail in drier seasons. The rhododendrons were in full bloom, lots of wild edibles but too late for fiddleheads as they were all opened and too early for blueberries and currents. found some edible corral mushrooms as well. The views coming back of Mt. Hood were stunning. This is a highly traveled and well taken care of trail. I would recommend it for sure.

Monday, June 20, 2016

very peaceful around the lake. parking gets full on nice days. trail is well marked. might be difficult for young kids

Sunday, March 20, 2016

It was tiring to walk though the snow, to reach the start of the trail. But overall it was a great experience and the view was beautiful.

Monday, September 21, 2015

Amazing. Such a clear day and mild weather. Took my dog, plenty of places along the trail for him to get drinks of water.