Burnt Lake Trail

Burnt Lake Trail is a 7.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Rhododendron, Oregon that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is best used from June until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Possible to take trail to Lost Creek Falls, 2.5 miles from trailhead for 5 miles round trip.

The access road to the trail head was in a better condition than in 2015.

Beautiful scenery through forest, streams, lake, and mountain ridges.

Easy hike to the lake. Moderate up to Zigzag Ridge. More strenuous thereafter.

Definitely worth going 0.5 or so west along Zigzag Mountain trail to get fantastic views of Mt Hood over the lake.

Decent camping around the lake though the trail can be quite a bushwhack.

My husband and I spent the night of June 25th up at Burnt Lake. This was our first night camping while backpacking. We didn't realize the incline and how far up the trail was going to take us. Some breaks trekking up farther and farther but the stops did give us some spectacular views of the forest and Mt. Hood! Once we made it up to the lake, yay, we had to quickly find a place to pitch the tent. The camp ground is fairly small and getting up towards twilight we had to go off the trail. Luckily we found a nice natural flat area and set up. The stars were amazing and the sound of the frogs chirping away all night was a treat to fall asleep to. There are some great view points of the lake and Mt.Hood at campsite D :)
The hike down was nice and easy and always friendly hikers on the way down.
We are proud we made it and so happy that we did!

Mid-June hike on what I would consider easy to moderate trail dotted with little challenges here and there. My purpose was an overnighter at Burnt lake and I was packing a 20 pound load. It rained the first day consistently which always presents trials but I did note that I did NOT need to bring 3 liters of water as there were plenty of small flowing water streams to filter from. Bring water-proof shoes if you are going in the rain as I must have walked through a couple of water flows that don't seem like they would be on the trail in drier seasons. The rhododendrons were in full bloom, lots of wild edibles but too late for fiddleheads as they were all opened and too early for blueberries and currents. found some edible corral mushrooms as well. The views coming back of Mt. Hood were stunning. This is a highly traveled and well taken care of trail. I would recommend it for sure.

very peaceful around the lake. parking gets full on nice days. trail is well marked. might be difficult for young kids

It was tiring to walk though the snow, to reach the start of the trail. But overall it was a great experience and the view was beautiful.

Amazing. Such a clear day and mild weather. Took my dog, plenty of places along the trail for him to get drinks of water.

this hike was very fun very exotic and we saw a lot of mushrooms i would actually rate this hike 4 and 1 half stars but u can't give them. the hike leads to a beautiful lake but if u want to see it you must be prepared well i would rate this hike hard and fun!!!!!!!!!

Such a pretty little hike! The road to the trail was a little hard on our rental car but worth it. The trail starts out fairly easy and gets more challenging after the first mile. The topography changes enough to keep it interesting and you get a great view of Mt. Hood about halfway. The lake is pretty and the is a nice little spot to sit under a tree and have a snack before you head back if you are not going to swim.

Very strenuous and beautiful hike. There are mushrooms everywhere, but I would not pick them. They are really cool looking, though. The trail is dry, but the forest is wet. I would come to this trail prepared.

Did this trail for the first time today, Saturday, June 6. Like everyone else has mentioned, potholes on last 1.4 miles leading to trailhead are treacherous. I drive a Prius which has a very low clearance, so I was stressed out the entire way. Once we got on the trail, everything was perfect. Trail parking was full, but we didn't see that many people while we were out. Maybe 10-12 total. My dog was quite sensitive to the wildlife and we found out from a fellow hiker that he'd spooked an owl in a tree. We never saw the owl, but the fellow hiker did. Watched him for a long time, and then when my dog ran up to the base of the tree, the owl apparently flew away. I was bummed we missed seeing it, but we heard it hoot a couple of times not even 2 minutes later. Gorgeous day today, and we started the trail around 1pm. We were back at the car by 5, and that included a few stops along the way.

My daughter (25) and I hiked this trail on Friday, June 5th, 2015. It was a beautiful day. We left Portland at 8:30 AM and we're back home at 3:30 PM. We met eight other parties on the trail, which surprised me for a Friday. The trail was in great shape. The view from the top of Zigzag Mt. made a very nice lunch spot. As previously mentioned in another posting, the potholes in the Forest Service road were quite challenging. Our Subaru made it easily, but the traveling on the last stretch of road was slow going.