Burnt Lake South Trail to East Zigzag Mountain Trail

Burnt Lake South Trail to East Zigzag Mountain Trail is a 7.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Rhododendron, Oregon that offers scenic views and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October.

Warning: Tried to go up Memorial Day weekend. Access road to trailhead super rough, very rutted, big puddles, very overgrown/narrow (scratched my rig...ugh). Didn't even make it to trailhead, so we parked about a mile away, started hiking, then hit snow about another mile in, so had to turn back :-(.

Rough road and snow obviously due to a long winter.
Wait until mid- to late-summer. And even then, access road is so bad right now, hard to say it's worth it.

a beautiful trail with lots of changes in scenery and beautiful viewpoints of hood at several points. typically don't see too many people. I go in early summer when the snow is gone and mud is easier to contend with. steep at points.

Friday, April 22, 2016

tried in mid April... too much snow

Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Pretty hike! We did a loop at the top and also explored Cast Lake which turned out hike into a little over 9 miles and 1700 feet elevation gain. The 4.5 mile one lane gravel road up to the South Burnt Lake Trailhead is a little sketchy. My Subaru Crosstrek did fine but I would not take a car lower than mine if it was me. Lots of huge deep portholes and rocks. Luckily we didn't run in to any vehicles coming the opposite direction either way. That would be bad news. My poor car got broken in and scratched up a bit on the way up from branches and bushes sticking out in the road. Drive all the way up the gravel road until you can't go any further. You'll see the trail sign.

Sunday, October 05, 2014

wow - amazing hike. did this in fall so i have gorgeous mushrooms pictures (if i can get an android app - i will share) desolate, i saw no one. no phone contact. bring a pinger/locator. i hike alone. if u r like me, notify someone as to yr whereabouts. I say " if u dont here from me in "x" time, I'm on "x" trail. be safe. take a flashlight, water, pinger, knife, power bar , phone (but it wont work here). demanding hike but fun w a payoff.

Saturday, April 27, 2013

Dry dusty trail every time I do this hike. One of those trails I always look forward to, especially knowing when I get back there is good beer waiting at Mt. Hood Lodge. Love the views.

Friday, December 23, 2011

Amazing views of mount Hood !! Great hike ....Trail is maintained fairly...Road to the trailhead is in pretty bad shape. Vehicle with high clearance is recommended.

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Magnificent full-frontal view of the west side of Mt Hood from the top. Trail is not too steep and not too long. The last section of road to the trailhead is rough, 4x4 is recommended.

Bugs (black flies) can be bad in early-mid summer. Wait until late summer to avoid the worst.