Broken Top Trail to No Name Lake and Bend Glacier

Broken Top Trail to No Name Lake and Bend Glacier is a 15.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Klamath River, Oregon that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is best used from July until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Bend: Trail begins 30 miles west of Bend, north of the Cascade Lakes Hwy. at the Broken Top Trailhead on Forest Rd. 380. A high clearance vehicle is needed for travel beyond Todd Lake on the very rough Forest Rd. 370 (road remains gated closed until snow melts midsummer). This trail can be reached more easily on foot via the Todd Ridge Trail #25.2 and Soda Creek Trail.

We

Left from Todd Lake and it took about 6.75 mi to get to the top rim over looking the lake and the mountains. Beautiful views abound and the wildflowers were amazing in late July. The only issue is how busy it is. I went on a weekday night from the trailhead as the sun was setting and there were about 30 or so people up at the lake camping when I got there.

Amazing hike, you walk along the spring all the way to the top. Awesome views of Broken top and bachelor behind on hike up. No name lake and the views of the 3 Sisters is defiantly worth the hike. Pretty moderate hike for an awesome reward! Was able to get my Mazda up the dirt road to upper parking lot! It was about 8 miles round trip.

WARNING!!! I saw a Facebook post on “Hiking in the Pacific Northwest” and 16 DEAD ELK CONTAMINATED THE WATER AT NO NAME LAKE.

DO NOT RISK DRINKING EVEN FILTERED WATER.

PEOPLE ARE SICK JUST FROM SWIMMING UNDERWATER.

WATCH OUT FOR YOUR DOGS IF THEY DRANK FROM THE WATER.

It was a hot, hot day but the wildlife and flowers along the springs and creek that accompanied the trail were fantastic. No Name Lake breathtaking. I should have left my 11-year-old lab at home. Pretty tough on him but nothing lots of water and a cool, cleansing shower (for both of us) afterward.
I’m not a REAL experienced hiker, but this one was great in my book. The road up to Todd Lake tough. Have the right vehicle.

This trail was a little difficult to navigate but No Name Lake is absolutely breathtaking and was definitely worth the effort! Make sure to have an SUV or other car with room underneath to make the bumpy drive out to the trail head and definitely use AllTrails to make sure you're heading in the right direction. Gorgeous!!!

The easiest 15-17mi you'll ever love. You know the 16-ish mile Larch Mountain trail up above Multnomah Falls in the Gorge? That is, before some Walmart shopper's kid burnt down the Gorge?

Well it's like that: miles and miles of trails so mellow, root-free, and mild that Wilford Brimley's (ghostly) diabetic wheelchair could do most of it. Great for trail running if you're into that sort of thing. But if you are indeed "into that sort of thing," be a little ashamed at all the wonder you're missing as you glide by huffing and puffing in your hot pink Nikes.

But back to the trail: unlike Larch Mountain's 3,000+ft of boring and slow gain, this hike is utterly breathtaking--replete with lush mountain meadows, streams, and an unending supply of Brokentop, South Sister, and Central Oregon views.

Yes, there's a gate (NF370) that's now open and you can drive up much of it instead of hike the Soda Creek/Brokentop trail. But do the whole 15-17mi: you can wander around 10 Barrel or the new Boneyard later on in the day if you want tourists, dogs, kids, and noise.

Start at the Todd Lake trailhead, then take the Todd Lake Trail up and out of Todd to the Soda Creek trail, then to the Brokentop trail all the way up to No Name Lake--then jump in that mofo and wake yourself up with a gloriously icy dip.

Make sure you do the last little steep section to the ridge overlooking all sisters, Washington, Hood, and as far as the eye can see north up the cascades. It's utterly wonderful.

the NF 370 gate is open! I hiked to No Name Lake yesterday. was a 5mile round trip hike.

Beautiful hike, but challenging. We hiked this yesterday and saw many hikers that started at the upper parking lot cutting off about 9-10 miles. The view at the top is worth every effort to get up there.

Did the hike last year. It was breathtaking. We hiked it when the road was open, saving us 9miles of hiking. Superb views.
Waiting for gate to open to hike again this year!
Any update on the gate?!

I hiked from Todd Lake to the ridge above (north of) No Name Lake, and part way along the ridge toward Broken Hand. Out-and-back distance was approximately 14 miles. I started early on 7/19 and there were no mosquitoes (but then it was only 37 degrees!). This is a beautiful hike, lots of wildflowers, and beautiful scenery in every direction.

Great hike! Hiked from Todd lake all of the way up and our watch recorded 17.2 miles out and back.
Lots of mosquitoes in the first about 2 miles while in the forest, once you get past that point you are mosquito free unfortunately didn’t take repellent and walked out with a ton of them.
No name lake is stunning and well worth the hike up, the whole hike was beautiful. I’d go back and stay the night! We also went with our 3 pups and they loved all of the streams on the way up!
10/10 recommend!

WINDY!!!!! We backpacked up to no name lake 7/10, it was a great hike up. Reading reviews of surrounding area we of course brought bug spray but there really didn’t seem to be any bugs giving us a hard time. The lake was beautiful by around 4/5:00 the wind stared to kick in, it was so powerful that it swept my sleeping bag across the lake onto a patch of ice. The wind also flattened my tent in the middle of the night and broke some of the poles. Not sure if it’s always windy like this up there but we also chose the one little camp site that wasn’t near the others and therefor did not have the same shelter as the others(we chose it because of it’s secluded from the rest). Most of the camping sites are going to be clustered in all directly next to each other and not much room, so be prepared for that. We talked to other people that stayed on the other side of the peak and it sounded like they didn’t have any issues with the wind. If I were to do it again I’d camp on one of the streams going up to the lake. Lastly if you do hike to the lake make sure you make it to the top of the trail!!! The end of the trail takes you to a ridge that gives you a wonderful view of all the cascades, it’s incredible and I saw lots of hikers skip out on what I thought was the best part.

Didn't hike the trail, walked up the road and about half a mile up the road I was SWARMED by mosquitos. The gate wasn't open yet to drive to the trail head as of Sunday 7/8 but it was beautiful. obviously i didnt hike all the way to no name since the bugs were so bad but Todd lake was beautiful. All other reviews say they went up todd ridge trail... guess thats what im doing next time. no idea how I'm the only one swarmed by bugs but hey learned my lesson!

Hiked it today from Todd Lake. Very pleasant hike, nothing too strenuous, a few small snow patches on the top, gorgeous views, lake is beautiful and plenty of water breaks for the dog. No mosquitoes!!!

We backpacked to No Name Lake last year in sept and we loved it so decided to go again , however the gate to rough forrest road (370) was closed so we hiked up it to the broken top trail. From our car to No Name was 10 miles,and 50 mosquito bites later ( not exaggerating ! The mosquitos were just on the road to base of broken top trail. From trail to no name was mosquito free ) The road was definitely in drivable shape so not sure why it was closed , but of course once at the lake, it was lovely. Don’t think I’ll go again unless rough road to trail head is open due to the mosquitos, but overall great views at the top !

Did this in Sept of 2016. Was so impressed that I went back with my husband to backpack the Broken Top Loop Trail. The trail itself is mild except for the 1.5 Mile - 2000ft elevation climb to Noname Lake. Just bring a lunch for the top and time to sit and soak it all up before heading back down.

We decided to skip Green Lake and backpacked up to no name lake for the night. Well worth it and no mosquitoes. There was snow at the very end so just make sure to find the well worn trail again after snow crossings and you should be fine all the way up to the no name lake. We scrambled up the ridge and had a clear view of Mt. Hood. Be careful at the very top, everything leading up to he glacier is very mellow. Perfect place to backpack, plenty of fresh water and just a note it was pretty cold at night so summer sleeping bags won’t be ideal for high 30 degree temperatures so bring some layers for the tent.

Hiked it yesterday. The trail is clear of snow except the last quarter mile from the lake to the overlook that was easy enough to negotiate and I enjoyed lunch looking at the Three Sisters Washington, Three Fingered Jack, Jefferson, Hood and Adams. The view is spectacular. No Name lake remained largely under ice so much of the glacial blue water you want to see isn’t as exposed yet though I was still able to get a couple good pictures from where you first see the lake. The wild flowers have yet to kick in. I was surprised with the lack of mosquitoes even in the lower elevations around Todd lake. The hike is rated hard mainly for the distance there isn’t that much gain. One of my favorite hikes in the area I think it offers the greatest bang for the effort.

Note this is not a summit hike. Summiting Broken Top shouldn’t be attempted unless you know what you’re doing.

Road 360 gate is presently NOT open, I’ve hiked it 2 times in the past week. A Ranger said they are aiming at opening it sometime after Fourth of July as it has become very rough and they want to keep people from getting stuck and stranded before maintenance is preformed. There’s no snow on the road as of now, but is fairly muddy in places.

I accessed Broken Top yesterday from green lakes trail. Stunning!

I was at Todd lake today the gate is still locked.

I went 6-16-18, day before Father’s Day, first time. There were plenty of snow 2-3 miles in, I put crampons by now. I used Gaia GPS and the AllTrails app to find my bearings because the snow covered up the trail. There are no markings except for a few signs the trail and intersections. I luckily ran into some locals that knew where to go. We only made it to the crater lake at the rim. There’s flurries of snow and mostly sleet towards the lake. I didn’t attempt the summit because it was very foggy and I could see maybe 20 meters in front of me. Lake was in the process of melting around the edges and had a beautiful hue of blue that my phone camera didn’t do it justice. It was an awesome hike overall but for unfamiliar hikers, better to wait for more thaw. I had crampons and trekking pole.

I also would like to know -- hoping to head up there this weekend.,

Has anyone done this recently? Is the gate open for high clearance vehicles?

Easy hike, with great views of Mount Bachelor and the Three Sisters. Road back to Bend was treacherous but fun if you have a high clearance vehicle. One of the best trips I’ve been on!

We had a wonderful time and watched the best sunset and sunrise we've ever seen.

Monday, August 14, 2017

Is the Todd lake gate open to drive up to the broken top trail head?

Monday, August 14, 2017

Did this hike on 8/10/2017. One of the most beautiful I have ever been on!! I was nervous since it was rated difficult, but after hiking it am assuming the difficult rating is because of its length? It was filled with beautiful wild flowers, fun little creeks to cross, gorgeous views everywhere you look. Hiking across some snow patches was slippery but fun and you are rewarded greatly when you turn the corner and see No name lake... WOW!! We sat and ate lunch enjoyed the view and continued on up the ridge and there was the 3 sisters in all its glory!! Highly recommend this to all who love to hike! And not 1 mosquito bite!

Monday, August 14, 2017

Would someone mind telling me what trail you take from the Todd lake trailhead to get to Broken Top?