Huckleberry Mountain via Boulder Ridge Trail

Huckleberry Mountain via Boulder Ridge Trail is a 10.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Welches, Oregon that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is best used from March until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 10.9 miles Elevation Gain: 3,362 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Directions from Sandy: Travel east of Highway 26 for 15.4 miles and turn right (south) at the Wildwood Recreation Site, where the trail begins. Wildwood is located in the wooded strip between the east Brightwood exit and community of Wemme.

Awesome boulder/rock field, magnificent views of Helens, & overall incredible trail with so many winds & turns. Getting to the end of the trail is completely worth every step, push thru to the end to be rewarded with incredible views for miles & miles. Saw bunny tracks, elk tracks, & witnessed many birds.

Beautiful trail, a bit windy and cold at the top. No snow or any bit of bad ice. Easy to get to the trail and gorgeous view!

For 3100 feet gain it wasn't that difficult. Just constantly up. Amazing view of Mt Hood and good view of Mt Adams. From the summit rock I could see Mt Rainier. Couldn't see St Helens. My watch showed 11.7 3100 feet.

recorded Recording - Aug 05, 03:50 PM

not a moderate trail but a hard one. numbers are skewed with this app and recommend using a Garmin.

This a really great hike! I’m surprised it isn’t more we’ll travelled. But that’s great if you are looking for solitude! You can get it here.I did this on a weekend and saw not one person on the way up and only about 4 people as I was headed down. The trail is excellent, most of it is soft with a nice pine needle cover. It is consistently up most of the way which is why it has more than 3000 vertical of elevation gain. If you are in for a good workout you will really enjoy it. It is very shaded which makes it a great warm weather hike. There a few views of Mt Hood on the way up and then some great views from the top. In the summer months make sure you take water. Once you get in a mile or so you won’t see any. I took 2 liters and that was good for me. Another benefit is the recreation area where the trail head is located. A very nice area with lots of walking paths along the Salmon river, clean restrooms, picnics tables, etc. be aware that the park does not open until 8am. If you want to start earlier you can park on hwy 26 at the entrance. This will add a bit to you total distance by about a mile. Highly recommend this one. Get out there!

trail starts at the wetland area. you don't need to do the board walk. instead after the bridge on the salmon river keep straight on paved road and at the sign where the wetlands area starts, turn right off the paved section. after 0.3 miles or so, you will come to the sign of Boulder ridge trail. soon after, a steep ascent will start. after about 5 miles or so you are supposed to take the old plaza trail, but the sign for this is so badly placed , that we walked past without noticing it. luckily we took the right turn on to the old plaza trail. honestly, I didn't see the old plaza trail coming there, so the T Junction is not very visible. when you pass the rhododendron forest, you know you are going the right way. I suggest using a GPS app, because at one point I downloaded an app because I thought we missed the plaza junction. after the junction, it's just about a mile or so to the clearing with the Rocky summit destination. you will see fantastic view of MT hood and if you go to the Rocky Cliff, you can see Mt Adams and Mt Rainer on a clear day. the plaza trail actually goes from under this Rocky point, we walked about 0.5 miles and turned around. I suspect you will have to walk longer to see Mt St Helens. anyway, the hike definitely clocked in at more than 12 miles. the gradient is moderate, except few steep switchbacks at the start of the trail. few sections with ferns and rhododendrons crowding the narrow trail, so wear full pants if that bothers you. well shaded until the clearing at the top, so good to do on a sunny day. the summit shown on Oregon hikers is the Rocky summit so trust that. didn't see old telephone cables as people mentioned. bear and mountain lion sightings in the area date to 2018.

Did this trail last month. It was a great hike. Made a loop out of it by continuing to the Bonanza Trail. Narrow trail but came across an old mine and a beautiful creek. You have to connect back to the trail head by heading up to the highway. If you try to get back by following the river the last 1/2-3/4 miles on the west side of Welches to Wildwood you’ll run into private property and the people there DO NOT take kindly to strangers.

Hiked Saturday 5/11. As noted previously, need to go right at the plaza trail junction around mile 4.5 or so. that will take you to the summit where the views are wide open of the entire valley, Hood, St Helens, and Rainier on a clear day. We started the hike a bit late by almost 10am on a hot day. Started to cool down as we climbed up and most of the hike is in the shade until the summit which is nice. Strained both legs about 4.5 miles in which made the remaining 7 miles quite hellish. There's almost no easy parts to this hike, steady slope the whole way. View at the top absolutely worth it though. The rest of the hike was so-so. Mt hood was to your left through the trees for the first 3-4 miles, but otherwise the scenery was repetitive until the top. there was still some melting patches of snow near the summit, enough to fill our filters for some extra water. The two streams you cross at the beginning of the hike (before the Boulder trail actually starts) were the only real sources of water the rest of the way.

Important note: to reach the view at the end you must hike over than a mile further than Alltrails says! Round trip, this is nearly 11 miles. This is a tough hike—the climbing is essentially relentless. However, the beautiful undergrowth and varied terrain make it interesting the whole way. The view from Huckleberry mountain at the end is lovely on a clear day, and is a great place to take a load off before the 5+ mile descent. Today there was just a tiny bit of snow at the top of Huckleberry mountain, but otherwise the tail was clear and in good condition.

Did this hike 5/6/19. The trail was pretty well maintained, some branches and whatnot towards the last mile or so, but manageable. For some reason the route on this app stops partway into the Plaza trail. It makes no sense as there is no viewpoint or anything there. If you keep going on the Plaza trail, you will end up climbing to the top of Huckleberry Mountain, which will give you pretty wonderful views of both Mt Hood and Mt St Helens on a clear day. If you do decide to go up to the top, it’s all uphill. Not the hardest climb, but certainly more intense than the rest of the hike. There were also patches of snow towards the top, but they were pretty packed so you don’t sink through easily. Total miles if you go to the top and back is 11.7.

11.3 miles, 3.5 hours. Hiked moderate speed. Moderately Difficult. Quiet. Dry. Serene. PROS: beautiful setting, complete solitude- only saw 2 people first .5 mile, no one after that. Very quiet and peaceful. CONS: Not many views of the valley. Went .5 miles further than the AllTrails map and still didn't see scene of multiple mountain views listed below- I wonder if I either needed to go further than the 5 miles or if you should go to the left instead of the right at the end of the trail. Completed this on Monday, 5/6/19 in the afternoon, average temperature 65 degrees, Would absolutely do this hike again, especially if I could figure out where the amazing view is at the end.

Not sure what everyone else is talking about but this hike was BEAUTIFUL! Very quiet and peaceful, almost no other people... trail is in great shape as of 5/5/19. Incredible view of the mountain about 1.5 (??) miles in. Only complaint is - and this is more for AllTrails - that something is off with the app because we hiked for 4.3 miles and didn't reach the final viewpoint. In total the app says we went 8.6 miles which is obviously not 7.4. Couldn't tell if we had made it to the end or not and eventually just turned around as we had already walked more than we thought we were supposed to. Later we found out that there was 1 more mile until the end. All in all I would say this is absolutely worth it. Great mix of uphill and downhill. Don't think I'd consider it to be strenuous but it was a definitely a workout! Took us 3 hours and 40 minutes with a few stops along the way. I would recommend not relying solely on this app when it comes to the map and mileage.

Decently strenuous and nice views on a clear day

Just me and my dog on the trail. Nice forest hike. It was too rainy for any views and a little too much snow at the top still to fully summit. I think we had 1/3 mile to go. It’s a little longer than listed but not much. More like 13km total not sure what that is in mikes

Great hike. Little mud and patchy snow up high but hikeable without spikes. Challenging uphill. Great view of Mt Hood if clear.

It was a great work out through beautiful country! Ran into snow up high.

recorded Recording - Mar 14, 12:59 PM

Good winter hike as no one goes here. Well maintained. The entire hike is uphill but it’s the first 2ish miles with most of the switchbacks and most of the elevation gain. Slow and steady wins the race for this one. Really not a lot of stunning view points. The first and in my opinion, the only one, is at about the 3 mile mark. Good spot to refuel for the last haul. Still beautiful nonetheless with tall trees every three feet and gentle slopes, it’s not so dense with shrub that you can’t see into the forest for a ways. If anyone has ever done the Shuttle Lake hike in the Three Fingered Jack wilderness, that’s the scenery I’m talking about. I will get an earlier start next time to explore the connecting trail(s).

Wed Aug 02 2017

View at the top was pretty good! On the way there was meh.

Wed May 10 2017

Uphill entire way, one or two views of mt hood, nothing much more

Tue Apr 18 2017

This was a good trail to start the season with. Very dog friendly!! There are some spots that may be a bit more difficult for children or beings with short limbs (due to having to crawl over some pretty large overturned trees), but all- in-all very scenic.

Sat May 14 2016

despite being in the "civilized" rec area, it was a lot more confusing to find the trailhead than an uncivilized trail off the beaten path. wish the signage was better as i wasted a lot of time just looking for the trailhead.

Sat Apr 30 2016

There are many drop offs, the S.Health tracker I used said total elevation was 3850 and we never did make it to the end of the trial... I think the 7.5 mile is to the tope if there is an end! the trail it's self in bad but it is straight up and moderate needs to be changed...

Sun Apr 17 2016

I attempted this hike yesterday (mid-April). The weather was rainy a couple days before so the start of the trail was very wet and a little slippery. It seemed like it would be a beautiful, if steep, hike but (at least at the beginning) there are drop offs that my mom (who hates heights) was nervous about. We ended up turning around maybe 1/4 mile up with the promise to try it later in the year. But, from what I saw, I would not rate this hike as moderate, unless it levels out after the first half mile or so.

Sun Nov 29 2015

It was a very nice hike on a chilly / crisp / very clear day. I'm sure it's a little more crowded in the summer months. There is only one real nice view of Hood otherwise after that first view the rest of the official trail is nice forest. You might get a better view if you continue onto Plaza trail but I stopped at the official trail maker that split the trails. It was a pretty good day hike workout to get my mind off the home buying process.

Fri Jun 19 2015

Great day for a hike. Started late but back to the trailhead by 6:00. Saw lots of wild flowers along the trail. The trail was in fair shape with only a few blow downs across the trail in one place. A good breeze kept us cool on the way up. Had a snack on small Boulder pile at 3 mile mark. Not sure about the "4.3 miles" for the hike. Our calculations put the end of the Boulder Ridge trail at about 3.7 miles. Here the trail changes names to the Plaza Trail. If you keep going on Plaza Trail you will come to a open "bolder ridge" at 5.0 miles according to our GPS. Great views of Mt Hood, Mt Adams, and east Portland area from this open ridge. The trail continues on if you want more of a work out. Our GPS showed a total elevation gain 4700 feet to this 5.0 mile ridge.