Bonanza Trail

Bonanza Trail is a 9.5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Welches, Oregon that features a waterfall. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking and camping. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

cave

The start of this trail is hard to figure out because the footbridge is washed out near the creek. Before this, there isn't really any indications where to find the area where you should park to get on trail in first place. Also there is a place about .5 mile into hike where logs are strewn across so you won't go uphill, etc. Anyways, we crossed roaring creek on a fallen log to make it onto other side, and then was able to get onto trail. First mile or so is pretty easy and flat, but then it climbs up pretty fast. The bonanza mine is interesting to see but the trail is narrow in general and steep on both sides...not recommended for families or kids, etc.

I agree mileage seems incorrect on trail. We didn't make it to the top but someone had gps device that said we hiked 4 miles, which was around the mine location halfway up the trail. So somehow the mileage is off 2-4 miles or something just to get to top...but not sure how accurate those devices are.

This is a very difficult trail. I did it on May 2nd and there was still some water to hike through. I ended up hiking the trail with wet feet. : ( And unfortunately the last 0.5 mile at the top wasn't opened, due to snow. But still, great workout.

Sunday, July 03, 2016

Took our dog, great trail to avoid the crowds, saw one other person in 4.5 hours out on the trail on a beautiful Saturday over 4th of July weekend. Distance is a bit off, really around 11 miles round trip. The first 2 miles is a leisurely stroll, and then you climb around 2,500' over 3.5 miles, so a good workout. Not the hike for amazing views, the 'end' is really just a trail intersection, not an amazing vista. There's a clearing a few hundred to the left of the trail intersection, but nothing spectacular. Go to enjoy the forest and peaceful quiet, not for the views.

Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Painfully difficult, but worth every step. This trail is STEEP. Definitely not something for inexperienced hikers or anyone with respiratory problems. You'll be wheezing even with a healthy set of lungs, but if you can make it to the end, you won't regret it. Beautiful trail, beautiful hike. Start early, and bring extra water.

Tuesday, July 01, 2014

This is an awesome trail but it is brutal. This says it's 7.8 miles but is you start at the trailhead and all the way up is about 11.8 miles. It is so steep. I'm a recreational hiker, I hike a lot but I wouldn't say I'm an expert, but this was a very difficult hike at times. It's close to 5000 ft. And at one point it climbs 2,800 feet in 3.5 miles to the ridgetop. And that's freaking steep. Take lots of water and food. Go early. It took me almost 7 hours. I wouldn't recommend taking dogs. It's very narrow and too much for a dog in my opinion. And definitely not for children or inexperienced hikers or people who are out of shape. Your heart will be going like you just ran a marathon. I could stand up straight and then stretch out my hands and touch the trail. That's how steep it was. I'd say it's a 9/10 for difficultly. Have fun! So beautiful. Take bug repellent and your camera. Go early. Also keep in mind you are climbing a mountain. It's freaking hard but worth it.

Saturday, September 26, 2015