Bolan Lake Trail

Bolan Lake Trail is a 1.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Cave Junction, Oregon that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, camping, and nature trips and is best used from June until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

35.5 miles south of Grants Pass on Hwy199 take left on Waldo rd/Happy Camp Rd for 17.5 miles then left on signed Bolan Lake Rd. At about 4 miles arrive at junction with signed Bolan Lake turnoff (Rd040) on left. Follow 2 miles to lake.

It was an awesome adventure. the snow made driving to the lake a challenge. I drove my all wheel drive Subaru, and 3 of my friends through 8 miles of untracked snow. we had to stop 1 mile before the lake the snow had gotten to deep, and the slope of the road kept pulling my car to the edge. after a fairly easy mile hike, we got to the lake where we were greeted by amazing views of the mountains above and the snow covered trees. however that was not the highlight of the trip. the lake was frozen! the trail to the lookout had to deep of snow for us, and we did not bring any snow shoes. So instead we walked across the frozen lake and watched the sunset over the cloudy snow covered peaks. --overall extremely beautiful, and fun hike. HOWEVER I would not go alone. be safe and be smart.

Tuesday, February 21, 2017

lookout is great!

Sunday, September 25, 2016

very worth the steep incline. the view is amazing

Wednesday, August 10, 2016

nice camp ground, caught brook trout and hiked to the look out.

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

This trail is actually a trail up to Bolan Mountain Lookout from Bolan Lake. There is a short trail around the lake but the described trail here is to the lookout which overlooks the Lake. The trail starts from the north end of the lake and steadily climbs through a beautiful forest which becomes more rocky as it climbs to a saddle with great views and then the trail becomes a little easier from this point. Finally the trail reaches a road which accesses the lookout and from here it's a short walk up to the lookout. The lookout is available for rent which I did in mid Sept of 2010. The weather was cool and a bit wet at that time but still it was great with views to the ocean and the Klamath River drainage. As noted, a road does access the lookout for those staying there with a locked gate at the bottom for renter's use only. There's a few campsites at the lake with picnic tables, fire pits and nearby toilet. Also fairly close drive to Tannen Lakes hike.