Blue Basin Overlook Trail

Blue Basin Overlook Trail is a 4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Kimberly, Oregon that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.0 miles Elevation Gain: 898 feet Route Type: Loop

Lots of great views at the top, make sure to bring a hat.

It’s pretty exposed, bring water. I went right. Did the short trail and back out to the turn and around. I recommend going this way because the view seems to be in front of you. The greenish color was pretty obvious in the morning sun, but looks kinda brown in my pictures. It’s steep but reasonable distance.

Hiked trail on 6/7/2019. Great views. Caution if you are hiking when it rains because the trail can become slick! Trail appears to try out clickly.

Absolutely loved this hike, the views were amazing it was so worth the 4 hour drive we had... this was just 1 hike within the area... we will definitely go back and check out the area, so much more to see...

private property

We went to the right on this trail- it’s off of the Island in Time trail. Beautiful views throughout this moderate hike. I would not say it is kid friendly- it’s a narrow trail with some sharp drop offs. There are a few trees to provide shade along the way. Part of the trail is on private property. Highly recommend this trail in addition to the Island in Time trail to get above and below perspectives of this magical place!

Beautiful trail, there is no bad view. Take some time at the mid point to enjoy the bench and overlook of the whole basin.

I did this while on vacation. My suggestion is to start the trail to the right when you park. It will go steeply for a while with switchbacks. You'll be pretty tired by the time you reach the Overlook but the return trip down is so much easier on the knees and has a lot more traction than coming down the other side. It is wonderful to see such a shift in geography while doing this short, but moderate hike. Go when there is a cloudy day so it won't be so shocking when you realize there is only one shady tree on the trail.

This is an amazing trail. We loved the way the trail went from meadow to juniper forest to amazing views of the Blue Basin.

private property

I think this would be a great moderate/hard trail in the summer months, but yesterday it was pretty dangerous. Around 80% of the whole trail was deep thick mud, and we were often sliding downhill on rather steep hills. There is a lack of good signage, and my hiking buddy and I often were unsure if we were on the right trail or not. Lastly, there are no warnings about the mud or (even more dangerous) the rockfalls that are currently happening. We heard and saw lots of small rockfalls on this trail, but we talked to a family that had almost been hit by a much larger rock on the Island in Time trail (and it was indeed large enough to seriously injure or kill). Beautiful hike, but wait until the area dries out a lot more!

Definitely not an “easy” hike. Lots of switchbacks, some short and steep and others are longer and flatter but this is moderate at best. Still worth the amazing views but be prepared to work for them!

beautiful views. we appreciated the benches for cranky ole knees

Wonderful lil short hike. Not to hard, but not a lot of shade. It was very cool to see all the formations and different colors. I am living full time in a pop up camper and there were about 4 or 5 pull through spots which was nice too. If you'd like to follow that I have a blog; https://campwithjess.wixsite.com/campwithjess

Sunday, September 02, 2018

This is not “easy”. I would say it’s moderate at the least. There is an elevation gain of about 800 feet in just over a mile. The trail is narrow with loose rocks at the higher elevations. Not for those afraid of heights. Many times on the descent, the trail looks to drop off the cliff, only to switch back. That all said, it is beautiful and peaceful. Remember sunscreen as the trail is mostly in the sun. There are only a few places of shade to stop and take in the view. Wear good traction shoes. I would not recommend taking small children or pets.

Tuesday, August 07, 2018

Completed 4.4 mi in 2.5 hrs with a 15 and 11 yr old, including the through time trail section. 760 feet of elevation in first half of hike up to overlook, dry and open so start early and take plenty of H2O. A few trees to rest under along the way. This trail is a real find, views are fantastic and the hike is eye opening - 50+ million years of Earth history layered in front of you. We had the overlook trail to ourselves except for 2 workers surveying. Only downside is last third of trail some of the view is the road and parking lot. But totally worth it. Stop at the visitors center and chip in a donation and learn about what you just saw. Its a very nice visitors center and educational. Informative workers. Some of the reviews here refer to just the shorter through time trail at the same location, its flat and does have a number of metal bridges but terminates in a BLUE box canyon! You can take this trail leg near the end of the overlook hike to see it all.

Friday, July 06, 2018

great short trail. Not a good trail for large dogs. There are several (10+) metal bridges that my dog had a hard time walking across due to the plat form. I had to carry him across most up and back, but hes 98 lbs so it was a challenge for us both. very little shade and very hot mid day in summer.

Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Great hike. I cannot believe how blue the canyon rocks were. Hike was not difficult, but got a little steep in some areas. Incredible views.

Wednesday, June 20, 2018

it was a rather nicely laid out trail for a small hike.

Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Easy hike with great overlooks. We hiked this in the morning and were glad we did given how exposed you are to the sun for much of the hike. There are some great benches with shade along the way for taking breaks to enjoy the lookouts and cooking off.

Sunday, April 29, 2018

Beautiful trail overlooking the basin. The colors were amazing. Kids enjoyed it too :)

Sunday, November 05, 2017

Beautiful , easy , and great for everyone!

Saturday, September 09, 2017

Nice hike with beautiful views of the blue rock canyon. Highly suggest going left on the loop to start to build up to the better parts. We went left and saw some blue rock (not canyon yet) and were already excited. Then we got to the top of the loop and walked out on the overlook spur and were so happy we came that way. You just walk up to the beautiful blue rock canyon. Then we continued the loop taking pictures at many stops. Completing the outer loop we then did the inner canyon trail...which again we were excited we did in this order. A great way to cap it off. Trail was was in good shape and if you do in the late morning you have the light behind you for the canyon shots :)

Friday, September 08, 2017

A great hike for kids and adults

Sunday, August 06, 2017

Very nice little tour, offering great views.

Monday, July 24, 2017

For my money the white & blue canyons are more incredible than the nearby Painted Hills, if you have to pick between them. A more challenging hike here as well.