Black Crater Trail

Black Crater Trail is a 7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Sisters, Oregon that offers scenic views and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Challenging hike, totally worth it once you get to the top! It's only 4 miles up, but you are going at an incline pretty much the entire way. I did this on a Saturday afternoon and only saw 1 other group.

great rewards at summit cool shaded trail

This hike was AMAZING! This was my first small hike section of the PCT which was thrilling. You start the hike into Alpine woods, then get into the lava fairly quickly. The views start beautiful and only get better. Didn't go all the way to the top because my family had to tap out, but I did get a few fun pictures of sitting in snow in July. Fairly dusty!

Hiked up on a sunny 80 degree day, medium shade most of the way. A few downed trees in the first mile or two. Last two miles still had snow. Brought Micro-spikes and poles (great for the descent in afternoon slush) and followed the dirty footprints in the snow up the trail and then straight up along the east edge a snowfield that lies to the west of the actual trail Incredible views of every cascade peak from Broken Top and Three Sisters to up to Mt Hhod (even the tip of Mt Adams) Bring optics if you have them, 10x42 enhanced the already stellar views. The summit was windy and clear of snow. Take the actual trail down til it becomes covered and it is easy to pick up the improvised route along the snowfield from there. Cheers!

Mostly trees and shade until the last 1/2 mile. Too steep to run down. Beautiful all around.

Shady trail opens up into beautiful view. Terrific summit with an excellent view of the Sisters

I really enjoyed this hike! It is fairly uphill the entire way there so a decent challenge, but the trail is very evident so no fear of getting off route. I did this hike on my own and had a wonderful time. The summit is windy and cold so remember layers. Took me 2 1/2 hours total and I spent a good amount of time soaking in the view before heading back down.

Good hike with amazing views at the top. The hike isn't exceptionally beautiful (although still nice) but the 360 degree views at the top make this tough hike worth it. Took about an 2.5 hours round trip. I read some reviews that said there were a lot of trees across the trail...it's all clear now.

Sunday, August 14, 2016

Final view feels like you are on top of the world

Monday, August 01, 2016

Incredibly beautiful, but definitely a challenging hike and a great workout!

Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Thursday, July 14, 2016

Thursday, July 07, 2016

Great hike. I liked it so much that I went up Black Crater twice over a July 4th Holiday Break. The first trip I took my 8 year-old daughter and we made the trip in 4 1/2 hours. There was still snow at the top and we had to hike off the trail and find our way to the summit. I would wait, at least, until July to hike it with a beginner ( just too much snow). The view is amazing at the top.

Two days later, I reached the summit in just under an hour on a solo hike. It's definitely a strenuous hike but the views at the summit are spectacular. If you just need a good workout, it will not disappoint.