Learn more

Black Crater Trail is a 7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Sisters, Oregon that offers the chance to see wildlife and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 7.0 miles Elevation Gain: 2,355 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Trail is re-opened. Please check Forest Service web site for the most up to date information on trail and road closures/changes.

private property

Unfortunately the clouds rolled in before I summited. It was an easy, fun hike nonetheless. Where you see the trail zig zagging you might as well just head straight up since there's still snow pack there. There is little to no snow as you near the summit. Will be doing this trail again soon.

2.5 miles in (according to all-trails) there is pretty heavy snow pack. The trail is somewhat difficult to follow at that point and I had my phone out quite a bit to make sure I was on/near the trail. I managed in hiking boots, but yak traks would have been *very* helpful. First part of the hike is through the scorched forest (really cool view of the cascades through the burnt trees) At the top, great view of S. Sister/Broken t Top, and a gorgeous 360 deg view of the surrounding areas. I only spent 15-20 min at the top, but all-in-all a great 2.5-3 hr Sunday evening hike.

icy

Current condition: snow pack starts after 2 miles and you have to pick your way to the summit (which is clear of snow due to the pumice). I was glad to have GPS, yak tracks and a hiking pole. Lots of “skiing”! I lost the left small yak track so if you find it, I’d love it if you could leave it near the start signs. General: the trail starts in the stark skeleton forest left from the 2017 Milli Fire. It’s beautiful. The burn opened up the sweeping views of Mt Washington, Three Fingered Jack, Jefferson and Hood. Lots of mushrooms and small greenery trying to poke through. The snow wasn’t too challenging with some helping equipment but just added hike- time. The views at the top were stunning. North Sister, Broken Top, Paulina Peak, Smith Rock, Dee Wright and those previously mentioned. Dogs loved it.

icy

Great views at the top. About 2/3 of the hike goes through scorched forest, gets old after a while.

Great trail and views.... finished just ahead of a storm, and almost got blown off the top....had trail and view of the rainbows all to myself at the top! Worth the chapped lips...:-) Burnt trees add to the interest of the trail.

I love it when I find another trail to add to my list of favorites. Light snow in the first mile through the burnt forest melted by the time we got back to the car. Wished I had gaiters for the 5 or so inches of snow at the upper elevations, but the snow capped 360 degree mountain views at the top were worth the wet socks.

The Milli fire definitely took a toll on the Forest, but to our surprise, it was still beautiful. Wonderful hike overall. The views at the top were amazing.

Black Crater is an enjoyable seven mile, non-technical hike. The trail was snow covered from the two mile mark to the top. The trail was easy to follow, it was packed down. The views are really spectacular. This is one to put on your list.

10/05/19 It took over 2 hours to the top and almost half of the hike was in snow which slowed us down. The views were incredible as it was so clear. Definitely the most challenging hike I have ever done.

One of my new favorite hikes. It was definitely challenging, but worth it for the amazing views

recorded Black Crater Trail

Great trail to take if the mountain tops are clear. Otherwise it is a good exercise.

Excellent views along the way up, and even better at the top. Clearly defined trail was easy to follow, and not overly narrow. Took about 4 hours with spending 30 minutes at the top and going at a moderate pace.

7/23/19. This hike has a lot of character beginning through a burnt forest and moving through a green forest to views of Mt. Washington and the three sisters. It’s beautiful and was lightly trafficked when we were there mid week in July. We are fairly fit hikers and it took us about 2.5 hrs up and just over an hour down. It gets windy at the top, a layer is recommended if in the early summer or fall. Highly recommend!!

Hiked 7/22/19. There were some snow fields near the top, we were able to go around it. Views of the North Sister are amazing and worth every mile. The section through the burn from last year is starting to recover and there were little ferns, wildflowers, and butterflies everywhere giving it a magical feeling.

July 15, Hike up the mountain on overcast day with just a few sprinkles of rain. Black Crater hiking trail was in good shape, we had go around one snow patch. No problems! Windy at the summit, view were great even with a overcast day. Damage from the forest fire is going to take some time to recover. We met a few hiker on the trail, tough climb to the summit.

July 10: Only one large snow patch to cross at the top, and it does not obscure the trail. No bugs. First 2.5 mi is all burn area before it starts to improve slightly. Do on a cool day or early morning as no shade. Great workout as trail climbs 3.5 miles to a very cool summit with great Cascade views.

Mon Jun 24 2019

Great hike, but still enough snow to make it hard to get to the top.

Mon Jun 24 2019

Super fun hike for two gals coming out of winter hibernation. Very steep in sections, but very doable. After about two miles, sections of the trail were hard to find due to snow fields. We made it to the summit and found the actual trail for the way back down. Windy and cold up top. Would definitely recommend trekking poles until snow melts.

Thu May 16 2019

NOTE: Didn't hike the entire trail. The main reason I am making a note here is to let you know that you need to add 3 miles, each way, to your hike if the gate is closed for the winter. My entire hike was 10 miles as I only ended up going up a mile of this trail, plan on doing so again as some point in the future.