New Years Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $19.99
Get Started

Black Canyon Trail

Black Canyon Trail is a 3.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Dayville, Oregon that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, bird watching, and horses and is best used from June until November. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 3.8 miles Elevation Gain: 367 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Beautiful solitary trail through a steep canyon. This trail is very overgrown.

Hiked from Dusty Camp downstream to Honeymoon Creek with a side trip up Coffeepot. Faint trail with lots of blowdown until reaching the Owl Creek Trail junction, at which point the trail becomes well-defined with only occasional and easy obstacles. Only two creek crossings upstream of Honeymoon and was able to keep my feet dry both times, but there were several unavoidable marshy/muddy sections. Coffeepot was at times faint but easy to follow with the white diamonds; great views of the canyon and excellent wildflowers in late May. Plenty of campsite options at Honeymoon if you cross to the southern side. Not especially scenic but wildernesses are always special places, hardly saw anyone even on the Memorial Day weekend.

I started at the trailhead at the South Fork John Day River and boy was this a doozy. The S. Fork has no bridge, necessitating a wading that went up to my upper chest. Soon after starting the trail, I almost stepped on a rattlesnake. The lower reaches of this canyon are chock full of Northern Pacific rattlers. I saw a total of 9. One of them tried to bite me twice. In places, the trail is so overgrown you can’t see where you are stepping. They all occurred in the first 3 miles and below 4,000 feet. About 4 miles in, I was just about reaching the crest of the trail when I looked up and saw a large black bear standing 30 feet in front of me. It was totally still for about 2 seconds and then ran off. The trail itself was overgrown in places and there were plenty of downed trees to cross. There’s a nice campsite at Honeymoon Creek, about 6.3 miles in. I recommend for more experienced hikers yearning for adventure and solitude. I myself will not return to the lower portion of the canyon due to the rattlesnakes.

Tue Aug 21 2018

We started at the west trailhead. The trail is in rough shape - dozens of downed trees and very overgrown. We wished we had a machete as the brush was over 6 feet tall and we had zero visibility. Had to cross the creek multiple times. Bear scat everywhere. The Honeymoon Creek camp was occupied so we pressed on, looking for a dispersed camping spot, but there was nowhere to camp due to overgrown brush and the narrowness of the canyon. Ended up going about another 2.5 miles before we found a suitable place to camp overnight. We did the trail as an out & back so it was 100% uphill on the way out. Would be better as a shuttle, but since there were no views and the trail was overgrown, I would not do this hike again until the trail is maintained.

Thu Jul 12 2018

Beautiful solitary trail through a steep canyon, crossing the stream can be a pain after a while though.