Black Butte Trail

Black Butte Trail is a 3.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Camp Sherman, Oregon that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

skiing

A Northwest Forest Pass is required to park here.

Nice hike with beautiful views. We were afraid the smoke would ruin the views but we lucked out. Only drawback are the tons of yellow jackets. I am allergic so I’m probably more aware then others but they were at the trailhead, on the trail and at the top

Short easy-moderate hike with breathtaking views. Great for kids and lots of shady spots on top for picnics. Well worth the morning.

Panoramic view at the top was spectacular and only took about an hour to hike up. Definitely a good way to spend some time.

The Butte is a landmark and sits centrally to many of the Cascade peaks from South Sister and Broken Top to Mt. Adams in Washington. This morning I got to the trail at 4:00 AM so that I was the only one on the trail and the peak where I lingered through sunrise. The wild flowers were in abundance (Washington Lilly’s, lupin, red columbine, Queen Anne lace, etc...) and being the only one I was able to take my time and enjoy the views, sounds, smells, and flowers.

I rated this as four stars as during the normal day the trail is heavily used, dusty, and exposed. Morning / Evening is best. The views are great at the top and it is accessible for children and adults of all ages.

On this clear Friday the 13th, the air was clear making the vistas breathtaking.

Gorgeous panoramic view of Central Oregon from the peak. During June-July there are lots of wildflowers along the trail. Go early in the morning so you can be treated by butterfly migrations as it warms up.

The chipmunks at the peak are very friendly. Get lots of pictures of them but please don't feed them!

Great hike if you want to see all of the area mountain tops. We even saw Mt. Hood. A bit rough getting there so small cars may have trouble.

Relentless uphill on the way up, beautiful views well worth it at the top. If you bring a dog be sure to bring water along as there is none along the trail.

June 2018: My husband and I did this hike for our anniversary. We are *not* avid hikers at all, but this hike has us looking forward to finding our next one! Getting to the parking area was a bit slow for us in our non-4x4 vehicle, but we went super slow and it worked out. The Hike:Upper Trailhead → Be ready for a steady incline the whole way up, and a last steeper push to the top that's totally worth it! Take lots of water and sunscreen, and bring a lunch or snack to have when you get to the top! The chipmunks will come right up and see what you have to eat. :)

Great views, wildflowers in full bloom as of June 19. Cascade Lilies flank the base of the Butte. Lookout is not open to public. Hit this hike early morning as upper portion is quite exposed.. If you are starting at the lower trailhead consider parking along Camp Sherman Road rather than in parking area off road 14, it lines right up with the trail and will save you a half mile or more of trail x2 as you walk around the base of the Butte.

Perfect hike for when you are in the area. Family and dog friendly and amazing views every time I go.

Worth the 2300’ climb for the panoramic views. Great place to eat a snack and enjoy a view of the mountain peaks and plan your next hike. Could use an ice cream shop at the top to motivate hikers

Great hike with amazing views of major Cascade Range mountains: Broken Top, 2 of the Three Sisters, Mt. Washington, Three Finger Jack, Mt. Jefferson, Mt. Hood, and even Mt. Adams.

Pretty intense hike up. Not a whole lot of flat level hiking, mostly either up or down. The first part of the trail is forested and breaking views of Mt Washington and Three Fingered Jack. The second part of the trail is fairly rocky and dirt with great views of Brokentop and 2 of the 3 Sister mountains. The last bit of the trail was pretty rocky and rough, but the views from the top are absolutely stunning! Well worth it!

The way up is a steep incline. Your quad day will be complete after this hike. Beautiful views at the top of surrounding mountains . Well worth it. Coming down is a piece of cake.

This was an awesome hike, was snow still at the very top what an amazing view off all the mountains.

Just a little snow at the top! Great hike.

Ignore my stars.. I just wanted to give an update on the road conditions. We tried getting to the trail head yesterday and found quite a bit of snow still on the road heading to the trailhead. We were traveling in a 4WD crossover, which did fine, but the snow progressively increased and the road narrows with 3 miles still to go. We decided to turn back in case it became too deep and we didn’t have the ability to turn around down the road. It would be passable with snow tires or maybe a little bit bigger car. In reality our car would have probably done fine but it made me a little nervous. We will definitely be back to do this hike in the future!

Hiked 2/4. Road up to the trailhead and trail in good shape. Last 1/4 mile a bit dicey with snow. It was doable in boots for sure, but would have felt a bit better in yak tracks.

Pretty spicy little moderate hike. Fantastic views. Little bit of snow on the top. Not enough to warrant snowshoes or spikes. Wind shifts up top and temps plummet. Layer accordingly.

5 star view, hike was %99 uphill to the top. Don’t go in January like me, save it for warmer months based on the tower being closed and other ALLTRAILS photos. Also did SMITH ROCK yesterday so this one doesn’t come close in comparison.

Went with a group of friends back in July 2017 and had a blast. We went at 430 in the morning to see the sunrise, definitely worth doing again!! I can’t wait to visit so I can go back

easy nice views

A bit icy toward the top but phenomenal views!

Nice burn, and great views all the way up. Hit it early to beat traffic.

Beautiful

Stunning views of the Cascades. Family-friendly with a little effort.

Easy to get to- we had a truck, last few miles are pretty ruddy. We hiked in the snow which made it slightly more challenging. Incredible views almost all the way to the top. The top was beautiful to see so many mountains and surrounding terrain. Will do it again in the summer.

Beautiful view once your on top.

Spectacular view of all the surrounding mountains which made it worth it. A bit chilly at the top with some frost but a sweater helped. Took a few breaks because it is a bit strenuous. Super rewarding.