Big Tree Loop

Big Tree Loop is a 3.5 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Cave Junction, Oregon that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from May until November.

Distance: 3.5 miles Elevation Gain: 1,105 feet Route Type: Loop

cave

This is a great afternoon hike. This hike takes about half a day to complete because it is quite a steep climb. This trail takes hikers through beautiful scenery, mountain meadows, and past the widest girthed Douglas fir tree known to exist in Oregon.

Great trail! It’s definitely moderate. Great views in some spots and tree is awesome! I came on customer appreciation day so cave tours were free!

Harder than I thought it would be, but definitely beautiful!! Went in early August and the weather was PERFECT!

I didn’t see anyone else on the trail, and it took me 2.5 hours to complete. I am not very fit, and there were parts of the trail I had to pause for a few mins to catch my breath. While I was there I also did the cave tour, which was worth the time and 10 bucks. At the Big Tree there is a nice vista and area to stop and picnic. I plan on coming back when I have out of town guests for the cave tour and some of the other hiking trails that fan out from the visitor center.

Good trail. It’s pretty well marked. Snow was still covering the trail so we had to turn back at the creek. Would like to do again in the summer.

Wed Nov 16 2016

Beautiful and peaceful. No one was on the trail. We were walking along through the forest and it began to snow huge wet snowflakes. As you looked across the way to the fir trees, it was a beautiful sight with the snow coming down.

Fri May 06 2016

Beautiful hike! Uphill on the way out for sure! Great workout. Beautiful scenery. I would definitely do it again.

Sat Jul 05 2014

We thoroughly enjoyed this hike up to the Big Tree. We hiked the loop in a clockwise direction thinking that the uphill trek wouldn't be as steep. Turns out it didn't matter but going clockwise gets you to Big Tree before the summit. The trail is all uphill to the summit and all downhill the second half of the hike. over 1000 foot elevation gain but not too steep. A real good workout. Big Tree is impressive. It looked dead at the top but we figured that was from lightning strikes as the foliage is quite green. This trail is also the way to get to Mount Elijah but that would have added an additional 5 miles round trip. That's for another day. We saw no one else on the trail on a very busy day for the park. Tons of people taking the cave tour. Hardly anyone above ground on these beautiful trails.

Tue Mar 04 2014

A nice day for a hike on 3-1-2014. We started this trail to the right , found the connector trail and hiked up to Mt. Eljah. A storm was coming in so we skipped the Bigelow Lake side and returned the way we came. On the way back, we finished The Big Tree Loop. We encountered rain drizzle the last mile and then it began to pour the last 500 feet back to the car.

Mon Aug 12 2013

Spectacular views!

Sat Aug 03 2013

Crazy view once you get to the top. But is quite steep at times and has some loose rock. Hot and dry during the summer but has interesting plant life. Cool to think that while you are hiking up there are likly people in the caves below you.

Tue Oct 25 2011

We did this trail on our way to coast. This trail is located in the Oregon Caves Monument but there is no entry fee unless you tour the caves. Big Tree Loop is a fairly easy, interpretive trail with lots of ups and downs and beautiful views. There is wildlife around that are use to the people being there and they come down pretty close. Great family outing.

Mon Oct 17 2011

This was a really great hike with the kids. It is an interpretive trail in the Oregon Caves Monument area and details alot of history. Its a moderate hike with some steep short hills and some beautiful views.

Tue Jun 26 2018