I went the weekend before the 4th of July and the weather was perfect, not too hot yet. I was actually afraid it would be too cold at night and if you camp at the very end on the stone lookout area I imagine it would be chilly and windy, so be prepared. I camped at 6.5 miles in and wish I had walked about another mile where the camping starts to get really good. There are forest groves and open areas without scratchy scrubs, and few access points to the creek until about 7.5 miles in.

I used a Garmin InReach which tracked the entire trip at about 17 miles if I remember correctly. In terms of terrain, I would rate the hike as easy with some moderate parts. I have no idea how it is rated hard other than the distance as it is mostly flat and smooth enough for horseback riding with older kids. If you made this a day hike it would be hard because of that, but not terrain. I ended up hiking 6.5 miles the first day and hiked the entire rest of it the next day, finishing by late afternoon a day early. I had a heavier than normal back due to extra water and was fine. Don't be deterred by the hard rating, it would be a great beginner two night backpacking trip. Bring lots of water!

If I could do it again I would hike all the way to the end and camp there, there's a nicely assembled firepit and a few good spots to set up tent without being right in the open.