Bessie Butte is a 1.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Bend, Oregon that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and running and is best used from April until October.

Distance: 1.4 miles Elevation Gain: 482 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Pleasant surprise of a hike. Fair incline but a short trail that most people can manage. The grade is easier since the trail curves around the contour instead of going straight up the side. Seems pretty popular, lots of people there. Easy to get to from town - probably why more people know about it. Other more obscure buttes in the area are only accessed after miles of rough forest road. The green of the bushes on the way up is unique. Views in every direction because there are virtually no tall trees. Windy for possibly the same reason. I enjoyed exploring a loop of paths at the top. Truth be told the whole top is covered with a million meandering paths. It is well loved by foot traffic.

Great hike for day or sunset. Love the views. Great with dogs. Easy

We loved this trail! My husband and I took our two kids (ages 8 and 13) and our dog. My kids loved the fallen tree on top of the butte and I was thoroughly enjoying the bench at the top. Great views. Couple people but not a high traffic place. The trail gets a little muddy and very slippery after rain or snow that would be my only caution. Coming down was a tad bit slippery in some spots

hiked it today. it was steeper than we expected but short and fun. mostly clear but patches of ice,. and a freak snow blizzard at the top

Had a great hike today! Real slushy for about 3/4 of the way up but totally doable with micro spikes—and worth it for the view! Brought my dog too and he was just as happy.

Hiked 12/15 This trail was a super quick but satisfying hike up with 360 views of the cascades and badlands. There was some nice crunchy snow but wasn’t very icy. Great like scenic spot to check out.

Nice views. Dusty trail.

Nice little hike. Pretty cool views at the top. It can get surprisingly windy near the top, especially this time of year. It's a good one.

Fantastic walk this morning. Good views and even light snow! Not crowded at all. Loved that you could see so many mountains and the city of Bend as well. Easy walk up. Wish we’d brought our dog.

A very good dog friendly moderate butte trail. The views in the middle of the trail were even better than at the peak.

This was a really easy hike. Ya, it's uphill, but seriously, it was easy. You can even take a bus that encompasses most of this hike if you want. Once you're up in the parking lot, don't forget hike the rim of the butte, it's short, it's sweet and it's easy too.

Sat Apr 27 2019

I would recommend this to anyone with a dog who likes incline. It’s short and steep but the reward is a great vista. The path is little travelled this time of year too and pretty isolated.

Sun Apr 07 2019

Nice little walk. Super windy up top. No snow on trail or roads.

Mon Feb 11 2019

Absolutely beautiful views! I love how low traffic this hike is, and being able to have our dogs off leash. Hopefully it stays fairly unpopulated. My dogs love being able to run around off leash.

Thu Jan 03 2019

as of 1.1.2019 the trail is solid ICE. don't bother without spikes. My wife fell and hit her head very hard.

Sat Dec 29 2018

Nice views. Fairly steep in parts but overall easy.

Thu Oct 11 2018

Great views!

Thu Oct 11 2018

absolutely love the low traffic and having the dogs off leash. the views are amazing. overall very peaceful, short hike.

Mon Jul 30 2018

Always so quiet and love having the dogs off leash with me! You can see so far also- awesome views

Sun May 13 2018

Short hike that was great for our group with small kids. Beautiful views at the top. It was a very windy day so conditions from bottom to top varied.

Tue May 08 2018

Very cute hike. Not much challenge other than walking up hill for a mile. On a clear day there’s an amazing 360 view of the landscape! It’s definitely worth doing again!

Sun Apr 01 2018

Great small hike with good views!

Sun Feb 18 2018

all up hill on the way to the top really windy towards the top but the view is spectacular! no city just nature and surrounded by mountains

Sat Feb 03 2018

Great views, gets the blood pumping

Fri Jan 05 2018

Steep and the views are worth it!

Tue Oct 17 2017

Suck up and done nice for sunset or sunrise

Wed Sep 27 2017