Baskett Slough, Morgan Lake, Mount Baldy Trail

Baskett Slough, Morgan Lake, Mount Baldy Trail is a 5.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Dallas, Oregon that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October.

wheelchair friendly

Short hiking trails in the Baskett Slough National Wildlife Refuge. Baskett Slough has two trail heads. The main one is on Coville Road and is a one mile loop trail past an observation platform on top of Baskett Butte (Mt. Baldy) through Oak groves and farmlands and back to the main trail head. The other trail head is on Smithfield Rd. and is the seasonal Morgan Lake Trail. Hike from one trail head to the other and back.

I hated this trail. I did the year round loop. The views are pretty, but the area surrounding is mostly flat and farmland. The brief window we were in tree cover, we saw a doe and two fawns, so that was neat for my 2 year old on my back.
It is almost entirely completely unshaded. There is a small area on the backside of the hill that is forested, then it's wide open. so bring sun block and water, even though it's pretty short. the beginning of the trail is well maintained gravel. not ideal, but not bad. It then turns into grassland. Which would be fine, except they've clearly gone through in muddy times with a truck or tractor and carved tire tracks, which then have grass over them. I had a recent ankle injury and had to go so slow because I kept almost rolling my ankles over. Even my uninjured ankle almost took a dive more than once. It wasnt always clear where the tread marks were and the whole thing was a bit treacherous. I found the last 2/3 of this loop to be so entirely unpleasant.

Good walk and talk. Trail wide enough to walk doubles almost the whole time. Strolled in the evening and had the trails to ourselves. Pretty flowers, views, fields, and wildlife. Saw hawks, osprey, duck families, and a big ass crane. Lost trail at the end but was easy to reroute back to the car via the gravel road.

Pretty easy going, I was able to make the full circuit (apparently took a couple of shortcuts since I did 4.8 miles instead of 5.1) and I am not the most fit person in the world.

Beautiful views of the rolling hills and farmlands, with a bit of the way though woods. Great part for me is the nearness to my home.

Saw a deer, 2 snakes, and lots of birds and ducks.

A beautiful trail for a short hike or a long walk! We saw a bald eagle and lots of little snakes. The trail is not open currently but it still heavily trafficked.

Gorgeous views and serene location! Part of the hike is closed (per a sign) from October 1 to March due to preserving the wildlife. Get ready to treck in the mud and be prepared to get a little wet and dirty. Part of the hike (further down towards the lake) is pretty sunken in, but more inward, mud was not a problem. Breathtaking views during the open view part of the hike and amazing forest-like feels from the enclosed part of the hike.

Sunday, July 16, 2017

good solo hike. the north end was not well marked. i went around mt baldy then east. came back along grass field back to parking lot.

Monday, June 26, 2017

The views were phenomenal and we saw some great wildlife while we were out today. It also had some decent climbs. The paths were not well maintained out near the lake and around the backside of Mt. Baldy. The path was also not marked and made it difficult to determine what the path was and what was a fire break or other paths.

Friday, June 23, 2017

This was a good hike that took me just under two hours (with lots of stopping for photos). The Osprey that live around Morgan Lake were beautiful and out in full force. I saw a few people while on the trail, but I was mostly walking alone and thought it was very peaceful.

Sunday, March 19, 2017

love this trail!

Friday, November 11, 2016

My Mom and I love this trail due to the location and go several times during the year. Parts of the trail are closed throughout the year so definitely a late spring through summer is when you should go.

Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Fun hike in an Oak Savanna forest. We saw an eagle on a snag, newts, deer sign, mushrooms, and lots of other birds while we were there. Great photo opportunities.

It's steep at the beginning, but kids could do it. The trail is not flat and can get muddy.

They have a pit toilet, but it's usually dirty as it's close to highway 22.

Friday, September 23, 2016

Beautiful area that allows for some incredible views of the local farmland as well as hills and mountains beyond. Many Canadian Geese around the lake, also. Good hike for beginners, but enjoyable for all.

Friday, July 15, 2016

good kids love it

Tuesday, July 05, 2016

Warning: if your allergic to poison oak this is not a good hike. There is poison oak everywhere. A very simple and relaxing walk otherwise.

Tuesday, July 05, 2016

The beginning and the end of hike was not to great felt like I was going threw a farmers field. but the middle of it was nice ..but watch out for poison oak.

Sunday, June 05, 2016

Hike was ok.... but got swarmed by mosquitos had to turn around 45 min in and I have well over a hundred bites on arms alone. Do not go without bug spray. I have never see anything like it.

Sunday, May 29, 2016

Had a wonderful time! This was such a beautiful hike. I wouldn't say this was an easy hike I would say a little more towards Moderate. Got lost a couple of times but the while thing was worth it. Did almost 6 miles. Would so love to go again. The maps they provide are a little confusing which is why we got lost a couple of times but it was well worth it. Would most defiantly go back!

Friday, April 29, 2016

nice park , really liked the sunset

Saturday, March 19, 2016

Nice walk with a few people there. No way to get lost and get to enjoy the view. Kid friendly.

Monday, March 14, 2016

I always make a point to stop in and take in the view on the way to the coast! It's a good place to stretch the legs and take in the nature :)

Sunday, March 06, 2016

It was nice to walk a water bridge trail. Lots of water.

Friday, July 31, 2015

Pretty easy trail with great hillside, barn and vineyard views. Bugs were a bit thick the first mile but after the tall grass by the pond they cleared out. Not many people and a perfect place for a morning or sunset stroll. Make sure you look up a map or directions first so you know where to park.

Saturday, January 03, 2015

My hike here was disastrous here for me and my ex last summer. The first half is great, but the 2nd half was dreadful. Admittedly, we didn't have a map or compass, but we figured it'd be strait forward.

If you go here, go on the trail and just come back when it turns into farmland. It was hot, and there were flying misquotes and a variety of bugs along the "trail" and we ended up walking 6 miles around the park back to my car. Don't plan on going back, but on the flipside it would be much more enjoyable if you knew the trail already, had directions, and are interested in birding. This apparently is a well known bird watching area (the trail head marker even gave some info on the types of birds I believe).

Wednesday, September 03, 2014

My wife and I took an evening walk here recently. As others have stated, the trail dies off after about 1/2 mile in. We continued on around the lake hoping to see the trail but nothing ever came of it and we ended up walking nearly around the lake via various farming fields. I don't really recommend that unless you are birding. We saw quite a few different species on our adventure.

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

The Trailhead is located 3 miles North of Rickreal highway 99 W. turn West on Coville Rd. The trailhead is on the right side of the road at the second little jog. There is parking, a bathroom, and a signboard with maps and literature. This is a nice scenic trail. If you drive west on Colville Rd. towards Highway 22. when you are leaving, take care of the California Ground Squirrels, they don't have any fear of cars.

Sunday, May 26, 2013

Started at the Smithfield Rd. trail head. Trail is not marked at all. Multiple paths intersect the trail, making it difficult to tell if you are still on tail or not. We ended up off trail and ended up doing a bit of bush whacking. Luckily the refuge is not that big, so it is pretty easy to find your way around.

Friday, April 05, 2013

Beautiful!!! Did this 5 mile hike just last weekend and saw thousands of Canada Geese and loads of other beautiful birds and water fowl ..... So after the "observation deck " on Highway 22, drive west just past a house on the right about 0.4 miles, then double back alongside Highway 22 on this farm road and go down to the trailhead about a mile in. At the trail head is a bathroom and a picnic table. Walk up a steepish incline and then take the trail path on your right! You will meander through beautiful young oak forest and nice views of the slough.

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

I actually like this hiking trail due to the large amount of wildlife. On the to remember is there are no dogs allowed on the trail. My first time out was short after getting to the trailhead to find that out.

Friday, September 14, 2012

great easy short hike and i am a beginner

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Found the trailhead. Ended up on a gravel road. Walked 1.4 miles and turned around. Will come back for another try! Saw five deer immediately! Very nice walk.