Banks-Vernonia State Trail

Banks-Vernonia State Trail is a 20.7 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Buxton, Oregon that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Point to Point

My girlfriend and I rode this for my birthday and it was awesome! We stopped in Vernonia for some adult beverages before heading back so our total miles was closer to 42.

The trail is well maintained and scenic; only real nuisance was the highway traffic nearby.

I definitely recommend this to anyone who owns a practical bike as it's very doable for a novice.

My husband and I are recreational riders using 7 speed bikes. We rode the section from Banks to Buxton and back which is about 7 miles each way. It was challenging, but not highly strenuous,the last couple miles on the not steep but continuous uphill grade. The ride back down the 2 miles required virtually no pedaling. We plan on this ride again along with the ride from Vernonia to Beaver Creek which looks like some up and down but not steep terrain.

A nice shady path through the woods on this hot day. Long slow climb from Banks to the halfway mark, then blessed downhill. Bring water as there is none available along the trail. Banks Bicycle Repair shop in Banks at end of trail has friendly helpful people, Len Punzel and his wife, who got us back on the trail quickly with excellent work (they also rent bikes).

Great trail. Good for kids, dogs, horses, bikes, walkers and more. Almost the whole buxton to stub Stewart is heavily shaded, great paved path or you can walk on the side on the horse track. Light incline probably gained 400 feet. Benches and picnic tables along the way.

Friday, February 12, 2016

A beautiful and quiet bucolic trail with beautiful views and clean air that is a refreshing alternative to the city. The drive to the entrance is easy for any vehicle and the walk isn't congested.

Sunday, June 17, 2012