Banks-Vernonia State Trail

Banks-Vernonia State Trail is a 24 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Banks, Oregon that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Point to Point

Thanks to the rails to trails program this trail became the first linear state park in Oregon. This paved path with its minimal elevation change is a great choice for the whole family for a sunny day bike ride or walk. If you own a horse there is also a path that runs along the paved path for you. This route is great for bird watching as well.

It was challenging, but not highly strenuous. I started at the Banks trailhead. The ride starts out easy then slowly transitions to a continuous uphill grade till the trail ends in Vernonia. The ride back is a blast. It's all downhill and smooth riding. Twenty miles each way. I highly recommend it if your looking for day ride in the country.

Too close to the road.

Good for a simple stroll with my dog but there are not enough restrooms. Good for walking, running and biking. I went early so the trail was pretty empty. Not strenuous but nice enough.

An easy, flat trail that goes through beautiful farmland. We usually start at the Manning trailhead. Love that we can take our daughter in the jogger stroller since it's paved. Only downside for hiking with little ones is that there are some very serious bike riders who use this trail and whiz by very fast.

Saturday, August 05, 2017

Bicyclist please yield to horses. A horse can easily kick you square in the head when you ride by unannounced! 90% of the bikes just zoom by... someone will seriously get injured.

Over all this is a great trail for everyone. Shade, trees, views! It can be very busy so beware for others also enjoying the path.

Monday, July 10, 2017

I've only made it halfway to Vernonia from Banks, but I love this ride. I've biked this a handful of times and enjoy it every time. Not having to bike on the road and worry about cars is a wonderful change from my commute to work.

Close to Banks there are a lot of pedestrians, but as you get further away from town, they become fewer and far between. This is a popular bike spot, so expect to see lots of bikers passing you and to pass.

Biking toward Vernonia is uphill the entire way. It is gradual, but you really notice it when you head back to Banks, you coast the entire time. So, make sure you get to where you feel you're done before turning around.

If you're looking for a place to bike for the day, this is it.

Wednesday, June 07, 2017

Started in Banks and went north towards Stewart State Park; turned around at 11mi. Took a 1 mile detour to a viewpoint that was not worth the effort. It is the first one you come upon when entering the park from the south on the trail. Hit up The Trailhead Cafe after. Worth it.

Monday, May 29, 2017

We started at the Manning Trailhead and hiked south 3 miles and then returned to the trailhead and hiked North 1.5 miles, great hike, no grade on this portion, scouting for future full trail hike.

Sunday, May 07, 2017

boring, road noise. best for biking

Wednesday, April 05, 2017

Great trail to run. Easy to follow, good scenery, not to busy for a Saturday morning (in the rain)!

Saturday, November 12, 2016

This is an amazing trail. A must try. Love it.

Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Very crowded on the weekend. The path was nicely paved, but needed to be a little wider for the different skills of the riders. I wouldn't take kids again, especially on the weekend. I have teens, and they were timid to get run over by the experienced riders.

Bathrooms were pit toilets and were not clean from over use. Some litter, not too bad.

Crossing the bridge was fun for all of us. The forest was gorgeous.

I would try again, but maybe first thing in the morning, or during the week.

Saturday, October 08, 2016

Easy paved trail. Would be a good bike riding trail. Dog friendly and was not crowded.

Tuesday, September 13, 2016

The road noise was a bit much for my taste... but the black berries were good!

Friday, August 19, 2016

This is not a moderate trail for riding or hiking it's very easy!

Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Newb biker, here! This is my first actual "trail" since riding to parks and Belmont Station for lunch. There's a little parking lot at the trailhead, sports maybe 40 spots. Was a bit tight when I got there, and it was mid-day Wed. The first 4mi are scenic smoothly paved trail, with a rail and a road on one side and meadows on the right. Once you head up into the forest (just after the big meadow), the rest is a gradual but constant incline. I got my butt kicked and turned around about 7.5mi in, and the coast back down was way worth it! And here I'd figured I'd make the whole 21mi easy... Ha. There's also little nooks with picnic tables every mile or so if you want to stop and snack; a nice feature!

Thursday, April 28, 2016

wide paved trail the entire length. good solid trail along an old rail road path.

Saturday, March 26, 2016

Good easy ride on a paved trail. Will have to come back to do the dirt trails.

Sunday, October 25, 2015

I did this hike last month and oh my Lord, it is GORGEOUS. Old trees line the path as you walk and it is probably one of the most quiet and peaceful hikes ever! Would totally do it again.

Saturday, February 01, 2014

The indicated date was the day we completed walking our last leg of the trail. We've been doing trailhead-to-trailhead round trips starting in Banks last year. Each leg has its beauty and charm. The last and most recent leg - Beaver Creek to Vernonia - was on the whole the least scenic. However, the loop around Vernonia Lake was very nice and was tempting us to come back with fishing poles. As the trail is well paved, it was very easily walked with a stroller, and is very popular with bicyclists. While open to horses, we never came across any on our trips.

Sunday, November 25, 2012

Great trail to bike ride on. The scenery is changeable and traverses through open fields to covered forest areas. I read somewhere that part of this used to be an older railway that was converted to a trail.

Saturday, June 23, 2012

http://www.oregonstateparks.org/park_145.php for PDF map of trailhead parking lots. Great paved trail for an easy run.

Saturday, September 10, 2011

We've started biking this trail but haven't finished it yet. Will probably do at least two legs.

Monday, August 08, 2011

Beautiful scenery! Most shaded but open ceiling in parts. Very easy ride 99% of the time.
Starting from Banks, it begins flat then starts a long but very gradual up hill climb. There is a pretty steep up then down with fairly severe switchbacks right about in the middle of the trek. You might have to walk your bike up this section if, like me, you aren't skilled in sharp turns. I wouldn't recommend taking children through this part. Then it's mostly flat and slight downhill the rest of the way to Vernonia. Reverse this for the ride back.

The trail is paved double track, with a few gravel crossings. You will cross a few driveways and a couple of roads but it is all very well marked to get back on the trail. There are several places to stop, rest, and/or turn around if you don't feel up to the entire trip. There is one bathroom along the trail. Bring water. We didn't see any water fountains, even at the trail head. Though, you can buy water in Vernonia.

We went on a Sunday and it was pretty busy. We passed someone every couple of minutes but only had to stop once because of some inconsiderate folks stopped 4 wide across the trail. We were amongst bikers, hikers, and a couple of equestrians. Go early if you want to park in the main parking lot.

It's 41 miles total - out and back. It took us about 4 hours total riding time going at a somewhat leisurely pace.