Banks-Vernonia State Trail

Banks-Vernonia State Trail is a 24 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Banks, Oregon that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Point to Point

Thanks to the rails to trails program this trail became the first linear state park in Oregon. This paved path with its minimal elevation change is a great choice for the whole family for a sunny day bike ride or walk. If you own a horse there is also a path that runs along the paved path for you. This route is great for bird watching as well.

An easy, flat trail that goes through beautiful farmland. We usually start at the Manning trailhead. Love that we can take our daughter in the jogger stroller since it's paved. Only downside for hiking with little ones is that there are some very serious bike riders who use this trail and whiz by very fast.

Bicyclist please yield to horses. A horse can easily kick you square in the head when you ride by unannounced! 90% of the bikes just zoom by... someone will seriously get injured.

Over all this is a great trail for everyone. Shade, trees, views! It can be very busy so beware for others also enjoying the path.

I've only made it halfway to Vernonia from Banks, but I love this ride. I've biked this a handful of times and enjoy it every time. Not having to bike on the road and worry about cars is a wonderful change from my commute to work.

Close to Banks there are a lot of pedestrians, but as you get further away from town, they become fewer and far between. This is a popular bike spot, so expect to see lots of bikers passing you and to pass.

Biking toward Vernonia is uphill the entire way. It is gradual, but you really notice it when you head back to Banks, you coast the entire time. So, make sure you get to where you feel you're done before turning around.

If you're looking for a place to bike for the day, this is it.

Started in Banks and went north towards Stewart State Park; turned around at 11mi. Took a 1 mile detour to a viewpoint that was not worth the effort. It is the first one you come upon when entering the park from the south on the trail. Hit up The Trailhead Cafe after. Worth it.

We started at the Manning Trailhead and hiked south 3 miles and then returned to the trailhead and hiked North 1.5 miles, great hike, no grade on this portion, scouting for future full trail hike.

boring, road noise. best for biking

Great trail to run. Easy to follow, good scenery, not to busy for a Saturday morning (in the rain)!

Saturday, November 12, 2016

This is an amazing trail. A must try. Love it.

Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Very crowded on the weekend. The path was nicely paved, but needed to be a little wider for the different skills of the riders. I wouldn't take kids again, especially on the weekend. I have teens, and they were timid to get run over by the experienced riders.

Bathrooms were pit toilets and were not clean from over use. Some litter, not too bad.

Crossing the bridge was fun for all of us. The forest was gorgeous.

I would try again, but maybe first thing in the morning, or during the week.

Saturday, October 08, 2016

Easy paved trail. Would be a good bike riding trail. Dog friendly and was not crowded.

Tuesday, September 13, 2016

The road noise was a bit much for my taste... but the black berries were good!

Friday, August 19, 2016

This is not a moderate trail for riding or hiking it's very easy!

Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Newb biker, here! This is my first actual "trail" since riding to parks and Belmont Station for lunch. There's a little parking lot at the trailhead, sports maybe 40 spots. Was a bit tight when I got there, and it was mid-day Wed. The first 4mi are scenic smoothly paved trail, with a rail and a road on one side and meadows on the right. Once you head up into the forest (just after the big meadow), the rest is a gradual but constant incline. I got my butt kicked and turned around about 7.5mi in, and the coast back down was way worth it! And here I'd figured I'd make the whole 21mi easy... Ha. There's also little nooks with picnic tables every mile or so if you want to stop and snack; a nice feature!

Thursday, April 28, 2016

wide paved trail the entire length. good solid trail along an old rail road path.

Saturday, March 26, 2016

Good easy ride on a paved trail. Will have to come back to do the dirt trails.

Sunday, October 25, 2015

I did this hike last month and oh my Lord, it is GORGEOUS. Old trees line the path as you walk and it is probably one of the most quiet and peaceful hikes ever! Would totally do it again.

Saturday, February 01, 2014

The indicated date was the day we completed walking our last leg of the trail. We've been doing trailhead-to-trailhead round trips starting in Banks last year. Each leg has its beauty and charm. The last and most recent leg - Beaver Creek to Vernonia - was on the whole the least scenic. However, the loop around Vernonia Lake was very nice and was tempting us to come back with fishing poles. As the trail is well paved, it was very easily walked with a stroller, and is very popular with bicyclists. While open to horses, we never came across any on our trips.

Sunday, November 25, 2012

Great trail to bike ride on. The scenery is changeable and traverses through open fields to covered forest areas. I read somewhere that part of this used to be an older railway that was converted to a trail.

Saturday, June 23, 2012

http://www.oregonstateparks.org/park_145.php for PDF map of trailhead parking lots. Great paved trail for an easy run.

Saturday, September 10, 2011

We've started biking this trail but haven't finished it yet. Will probably do at least two legs.