Bald Mountain from Lolo Pass Trail

Bald Mountain from Lolo Pass Trail is a 6.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Rhododendron, Oregon that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from June until July. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

easy trailhead to reach with paved roads leading to there. Like others have said its a little steep in the beginning but levels off pretty nicely towards the middle. I went pretty early so the bugs weren't terrible but bring bug spray if your going later in the day. Cool views and a fun drive to do early in the morning.

ATTN: Road is CLOSED and the trailhead is inaccessible. However, I’d love to come back and hike this when it opens up. The drive from Portland wasn’t too bad.

This trail was amazing. Lightly trafficked, hardly saw anyone. But so many bugs! We were constantly hitting them away and off of us, make sure you have bug repellant. However, I’m not sure if it would even work. The beginning of the climb is a little hard, and the end once you make the ten up to bald mountain is kind of steep. However the whole middle part is pretty flat and easy. It was a pretty hike and worth all the bugs for the view at the end.

This hike was amazing! The views were incredible, and although a fair elevation gain, it never felt too strenuous. The drive up Lolo Pass Road was 99% paved and easy. Traffic on the trail was light. The wildflowers are out and beautiful! We initially missed the turnoff to the summit of Bald Mountain (worth noting the short sprint to the summit is probably the steepest climb, but tolerable since it’s short), and walked a ways on the Timberline Trail before we realized we’d missed our turn. This ended up being a happy mistake because the views along the ridge trail were phenomenal. The only downfall of the trail was the abundance of (biting) flies...and despite those it was worth it. Enjoy!

Great view! A bit of walking in the trees but ends with a perfect view worth the walk.

Highly recommend this hike! Elevation gain wasn’t too bad, the views of Mt. Hood were incredible! Not highly trafficked, there was a little traffic at the 4 trail junction but not terrible. The 4 trail junction was a little tricky but there is a large map that shows you the way. Great trail, I will definitely do again!

Beautiful hike! This is my perfect kind of hike - beautiful trees and wildflowers plus stunning mountain views, not too difficult or far. When we went past Mt Hood and back into the woods, we ended up turning around and going back from where we came so we could look at Hood some more :) We drove in from Portland-area and the road had a ton of potholes but not too bad. However the route back down going towards Hood River was pretty intense. There was one gap in the road so wide my car had to go around it (couldn't go over it) and we were half off the road on just a little sliver. Scary. But we and the car survived and it was beautiful all around!

This was my second time doing this hike and it did not disappoint! We had an incredible cloud-free view of Mt Hood surrounded by gorgeous wild flowers. I brought my pup and he loved every second of this hike.

The road leading up to the trail head is pretty nice, but there are a few big pot holes to watch out for!

My wife and I did this hike yesterday and both thought it was absolutely awesome! Beautiful and serene views from the top of Bald Mountain, very secluded, and the hike through the forest is gorgeous. Keep and eye out for deer. No snow on the trail.

Epic views, wildflower explosion, the best Oregon summers have to offer!

Took my first trip here on 6/15/18. The trail is fairly easy to navigate, however there are some downed trees that require a little bit of ducking and climbing over.

As of 6/2/2018 no snow on the road or at trailhead. Some snow on trail about 1/2 mile in but other than that completely dry. Very easy to navigate. I love this hike! Bald Mountain is my favorite hike on Hood because it’s moderately challenging with an intense uphill push at the end. View is breathtaking!

I give this trail a 3/5 because the trail is poorly marked and I was only able to make it about a mile in before the trail was no longer accessible due to snow. I went as far as I could through the snow but the snow made the trail hard to find so I decided to turn back. The area was beautiful and the views are amazing. Definitely looking forward to revisiting this hike later in the year and hopefully giving it a better review. Until next time, have fun and be safe on your journeys;)

4/5 stars because the trail is poorly marked which becomes problematic in snowed areas. The road to the trail and first half mile of the trail were fine. The deep snow began shortly after and makes it difficult to make it to the summit. My boyfriend tried his hardest to redirect us while I verified previous hikers foot prints, it didn’t work for long. We made it about 2/3 of the way up until we decided to quit. Super upset and wishes I had researched the trail more.

First time hiked this trail. The view is so beautiful in winter. Driving there was a challenge, but it was so much fun. The road is covered by ice and snow. You need an 4x4 or an AWD car to get to the trailhead + make sure you have your snow chains with you. My car is Subaru Lagacy Outback. Its clearance was not enough in some parts. I know how to drive on snowy roads, so I didn't have much trouble. The trail: First 0.5 mile of the trail is easy to hike and crowded. It seems like people come here to take their Christmas trees. Between the 0.5 and 1 mile section there is so much powdery snow on the trail. After 1 mile, the ground is frozen, so it is considerably easier to hike. There are fallen and about to fall trees everywhere. I had to stop after 2 miles. All in all, it was a fun day.

There was no snow anywhere on this hike as of Saturday, October, 28, 2017. There were some puddles in the road at Lolo Pass but the trail was dry with only a few logs across it. There was about 100 feet of muddy trail on the north side of Bald Mountain if you choose to extend this hike a bit and loop around Bald Mountain.

I did this hike about a week ago with my dog and he loved it! There was definitely a lot of snow and so we could only get so far without proper gear but it was still incredibly peaceful and gorgeous. I will definitely be coming back again!

Lots of snow on the trail which was a little slick but beyond amazing view of Hood!

This hike was INCREDIBLE. I have no idea why the app says best times to go are June and July. Fall foliage was stunning, cooler temperatures and some wind made for zero bugs and not a cloud in the sky. Will go back and do this one again and again!!

Monday, July 31, 2017

Gorgeous. Much busier later in the morning. We started just before 9 and it was getting quite warm by the end. Recommend starting earlier.

Saturday, July 22, 2017

The view point is pretty amazing. The hike itself is not to bad. Tons of bugs recommend bringing bug spray. Only thing not giving it 5 stars is there's a parking lot right near the view point you can park at. Not much on the trail so if you want just the view I recommend doing Top Spur instead.

Tuesday, July 18, 2017

The hike to the Mt Hood viewpoint on Bald Mountain is easy and breathtaking!

Tuesday, July 11, 2017

The hike was steep for the first mile plus then flattens out nicely. Views were stunning and the wild flowers were out in force. Be careful driving on Lolo Pass road though - it's really rough particularly heading back to H 26.

Friday, July 07, 2017

This is the best hike near Portland that I have been on since moving to Portland 2 years ago. Stunning views that you don't have to work too hard to see, but still a good workout for the day. If you live within driving distance I highly recommend this hike, I'll be doing it again before the summer is over.

Tuesday, July 04, 2017

Fantastic hike with spectacular views.

Tuesday, July 04, 2017

Flowers are blooming and it was beautiful. As Amanda stated before, snow still melting and some trees down.

Tuesday, July 04, 2017

Amazing hike. Not too strenuous, but enough to get the blood flowing. The wild flowers were out in full force in the sunny bald with great view of Hood. Very little snow and mud from melt water. The downed trees have make-shift walk around and the flies weren't biting. Great day.

Sunday, June 25, 2017

Snow is melting but there are several downed trees. One was removed today by a crew (thank you!) but others are maneuverable. On a Saturday we were the only ones up on Bald Mountain and it was breathtaking!

Saturday, June 24, 2017

This trail was only "moderate" because of all of the fallen trees we had to climb over/under/around. The first half is pretty tame switchbacks and the rest is super flat. However, massive patches of snow made the trail a little confusing about a third of the way through, so make sure you pay attention to your GPS. Amazing views of Mt. Hood at the end, but the shorter trail that meets this one about .25 miles from the end point might be a better bet while there's still snow and fallen trees on the path.

Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Incredible, unobstructed view of Mount Hood from Bald Mountain. Fantastic hike.

As of June 19th, there are several trees down on the path, most of which are easy enough to get around, but one in particular is somewhat difficult to maneuver. It's roughly one third of the way up the path and will be obvious once you reach it. I'd recommend walking below the path to get around it. Also, some of the path is covered in feet of snow which makes following the path at this point a bit difficult. I would recommend using you phone's GPS to track yourself on the trail to ensure you don't get lost.