Bald Mountain from Lolo Pass Trail

Bald Mountain from Lolo Pass Trail is a 6.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Rhododendron, Oregon that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from June until July. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

First time hiked this trail. The view is so beautiful in winter. Driving there was a challenge, but it was so much fun. The road is covered by ice and snow. You need an 4x4 or an AWD car to get to the trailhead + make sure you have your snow chains with you. My car is Subaru Lagacy Outback. Its clearance was not enough in some parts. I know how to drive on snowy roads, so I didn't have much trouble. The trail: First 0.5 mile of the trail is easy to hike and crowded. It seems like people come here to take their Christmas trees. Between the 0.5 and 1 mile section there is so much powdery snow on the trail. After 1 mile, the ground is frozen, so it is considerably easier to hike. There are fallen and about to fall trees everywhere. I had to stop after 2 miles. All in all, it was a fun day.

There was no snow anywhere on this hike as of Saturday, October, 28, 2017. There were some puddles in the road at Lolo Pass but the trail was dry with only a few logs across it. There was about 100 feet of muddy trail on the north side of Bald Mountain if you choose to extend this hike a bit and loop around Bald Mountain.

I did this hike about a week ago with my dog and he loved it! There was definitely a lot of snow and so we could only get so far without proper gear but it was still incredibly peaceful and gorgeous. I will definitely be coming back again!

Lots of snow on the trail which was a little slick but beyond amazing view of Hood!

This hike was INCREDIBLE. I have no idea why the app says best times to go are June and July. Fall foliage was stunning, cooler temperatures and some wind made for zero bugs and not a cloud in the sky. Will go back and do this one again and again!!

Gorgeous. Much busier later in the morning. We started just before 9 and it was getting quite warm by the end. Recommend starting earlier.

The view point is pretty amazing. The hike itself is not to bad. Tons of bugs recommend bringing bug spray. Only thing not giving it 5 stars is there's a parking lot right near the view point you can park at. Not much on the trail so if you want just the view I recommend doing Top Spur instead.

The hike to the Mt Hood viewpoint on Bald Mountain is easy and breathtaking!

The hike was steep for the first mile plus then flattens out nicely. Views were stunning and the wild flowers were out in force. Be careful driving on Lolo Pass road though - it's really rough particularly heading back to H 26.

This is the best hike near Portland that I have been on since moving to Portland 2 years ago. Stunning views that you don't have to work too hard to see, but still a good workout for the day. If you live within driving distance I highly recommend this hike, I'll be doing it again before the summer is over.

Fantastic hike with spectacular views.

Flowers are blooming and it was beautiful. As Amanda stated before, snow still melting and some trees down.

Amazing hike. Not too strenuous, but enough to get the blood flowing. The wild flowers were out in full force in the sunny bald with great view of Hood. Very little snow and mud from melt water. The downed trees have make-shift walk around and the flies weren't biting. Great day.

Snow is melting but there are several downed trees. One was removed today by a crew (thank you!) but others are maneuverable. On a Saturday we were the only ones up on Bald Mountain and it was breathtaking!

This trail was only "moderate" because of all of the fallen trees we had to climb over/under/around. The first half is pretty tame switchbacks and the rest is super flat. However, massive patches of snow made the trail a little confusing about a third of the way through, so make sure you pay attention to your GPS. Amazing views of Mt. Hood at the end, but the shorter trail that meets this one about .25 miles from the end point might be a better bet while there's still snow and fallen trees on the path.

Incredible, unobstructed view of Mount Hood from Bald Mountain. Fantastic hike.

As of June 19th, there are several trees down on the path, most of which are easy enough to get around, but one in particular is somewhat difficult to maneuver. It's roughly one third of the way up the path and will be obvious once you reach it. I'd recommend walking below the path to get around it. Also, some of the path is covered in feet of snow which makes following the path at this point a bit difficult. I would recommend using you phone's GPS to track yourself on the trail to ensure you don't get lost.

Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Since it was our first time at Mt Hood area, we had really enjoyed this hike as it wasn't too difficult compared to the trails in North Vancouver. The initial quarter of the trail does have many switchbacks and an incline but after that it's not much but shade and beautiful scenery. Although the description says it's open from June-July you can still hike in September (which we did and many others). We will definitely be back here

Tuesday, June 21, 2016

This was a really great hike. The trail was well developed and the views of Mt Hood and Mt. St. Helens were incredible. There were a few spots that were washed out, but overall the trail was good. The start of the trail is the most difficult, as it contains the most elevation and switch backs. We would recommend trekking poles. The trail is largely shaded and rock/pine needles. As another review indicated, this is not a trail for small children as the elevation is significant and the drop-offs from some of the trails is dangerous. There is very limited cell phone reception. The entire hike was right at 6.8 miles and took us almost 4 hours (we stopped several times for pictures).

Sunday, May 08, 2016

A little washed out in some places, but good overall

Monday, May 25, 2015

This was a great hike, I wouldn't recommend it for families or for beginners as the sections with switchbacks near the beginning and then the last push to the summit up the un-maintained trail could be pretty rough on them. Definitely a good hike for dogs, but I'd keep them on the leash due to several drop offs along the way. We didn't get to see the view from the summit as it was socked in with clouds, but I'll definitely be going back this summer again. We completed our hike in 2 hours and 46 minutes (not including the time spent at the summit).