Balch Creek & Wildwood Trail Loop

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(179)
Macleay City Park

Balch Creek & Wildwood Trail Loop is a 4.9 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Portland, Oregon that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and trail running and is best used from March until April. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.9 miles Elevation Gain: 790 feet Route Type: Loop

I used to love this trail in the off season. However, right as you enter Holman Lane off of NW 53rd, there’s an old man that lives right there with an aggressive dog he keeps off leash that will try to run and attack you. So yeah. That was fun. Then he blamed the dogs aggressive behavior on me because I was screaming for help. I called the police. Don’t know if anything happened from it. I just don’t go there anymore. Bring bear mace for self defense is all I can say.

Love this! So beautiful! Trail Is in great condition!

Not bad, longer than expected. Also fairly muddy but still nice views and a good workout.

Nice hike, lot of runners so good trail for running. We decided to go the opposite way AllTrails told us to go for the loop because we heard people say it was really muddy and we didn’t want to be going downhill on mud-I definitely suggest it! There were a lot of slip marks from people coming downhill in the mud. Was an awesome hike with so much greenery!

trail was in pretty good condition for this time of year! a little annoyingly crowded at the head especially for a midday tuesday hike but got really nice once you hit the loop. i went clockwise and had a pretty steep incline at first but then a lovely gentle downhill for like 2/3 of the hike. fwiw i clocked 5.9 miles from the trail head if that matters to anyone! regardless me and the pup had a very nice time!

Wide, clear path through the forest in the heart of the city. Moderately traveled on a beautiful sunny, dry late morning/noon on Friday. Lightly traveled higher up the trail. A little confusing on this loop where you walk along a road and then branch off on Holman lane which becomes path.

Wildwood portion is beautifully maintained. Gorgeous scenery. Holman path is muddy, but manageable. Really great trails for dog walking.

Holman Lane is MUDDY AF

Beautiful trail - lots of fall colors. We went counter-clockwise on the loop and it was easy the whole way around. Definitely recommend!

This was the perfect trail for my first solo hike with the pooch. Beautiful and just the right amount of challenging for a great workout. Gets busy about 10-11 so go early!

Lots of people and dogs. Pretty hike. Nice loop.

Sun Apr 14 2019

Sun Apr 07 2019

Sat Mar 16 2019

Sat Feb 02 2019

Mon Jun 18 2018

I'm rather embarrassed to say I haven't hiked in Forest Park before this. Hiking in years past has always meant driving to a trailhead outside the city. When there is a park with 70 combined miles of trails inside the city, it's about time to figure what that's all about! I hope to do many more hikes in the park in the future. I enjoyed this particular loop.

Tue Apr 03 2018

Pretty in spring. Follows a creek for the first section. It was pretty crowded in the late afternoon, but it was nice to see people out having fun. There are multiple trails that connect with this one, so you can extend your trip if you want. Interesting little building part way in that you can explore.

Thu Mar 08 2018

Great stroll in the forest, and located right in the city. There is a creek running through part of it and an old mossy stone building to check out.