Bagby Trail #54 and Battle Ax Mountain Trail #3340 Loop

Bagby Trail #54 and Battle Ax Mountain Trail #3340 Loop is a 5.8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Detroit, Oregon that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and backpacking and is best used from May until October.

Distance: 5.8 miles Elevation Gain: 1,751 feet Route Type: Loop

Amazing hike! Clouds played hide and seek with the views. We went Battle Ax then Bagby but with the rough condition of Bagby Trail we should have started with Bagby as it would have been safer to go up over the obstacles vs. coming down. Can’t wait to redo this hike on a sunny day!

The trail is definitely lightly trafficked, primarily due to the rough drive up the forest road. Great hike with great views. Would recommend camping at Elk Lake to make it worth it. The campground is nice & the lake is lovely- perfect temperature for a swim.

the 360 view from the summit is well worth the hour it takes to drive to and from the trailhead on 6.6 miles of crazy off road. such a great hike, saw no one today.

It’s worth the hour it takes to drive the 6 miles to the trailhead. I made it up in an old RAV4. Study your edible berries before you come - the trail is full of them. It’s also quite overgrown in places.I was wearing shorts and wound up with some scratches.

Things to know - the last six miles of the drive is a very rough road. It takes a while to get there. Parking for the trail is at the turn in to Elk Lake campground. I'd call this hike HARD to DIFFICULT rather than moderate. The last mile of climb is one of the steepest I've encountered if you go counter-clockwise. I would definitely suggest this direction however. This was a fabulous trail with lots of diversity - some through the forest, some along a rock wall, areas that felt like high desert. And then the view at the top - almost like no other. Similar to the iron mountain 360 view, but you are closer to Hood rather than the Sisters. We trekked back down the other side, which is a chunky rock trail most of the way. Again, this trail is a workout and one of my favorites. I rated it a 4 because it is a challenge to get there and some of the trail was a little treacherous. Directions would be nice to include on this site. My car GPS tried to direct us in a way that would definitely not have worked. We had to take Breitenbush Road. Total hike on my Garmin was 6.2 miles, 1707 feet elevation gain, 3 hours 42 minutes.

This trail is absolutely gorgeous. The beginning and end (no matter which way you take the loop) is a bit overgrown and on the lake/campground side of the loop the trail is partially washed out. That being said, it was all worth it! Switch backs on the mountain sweep you from one valley view to another. There were wild flowers, gorgeous views, a bit of a ridge hike (my favorite) and wildlife abound.

What an amazing view! The incline varies from gentle to steep, but the last 1/2 mile was so worth it! There was snow on the north face of Battle Ax and we were careful not to lose the trail. Otherwise it was very well marked and easy to follow. Our 9- and 11-year-old kids even managed it with only a little jelly bean bribery. The road to Elk Lake is pretty rough and I recommend high clearance if not 4-wheel-drive.

Sat Oct 20 2018